ARE ALL THE CALORIES THE SAME???

Options
fedegarino
fedegarino Posts: 12 Member
edited October 2014 in Health and Weight Loss
Hello everyone

Im just wondering if all calories are the same? Meaning if 100 calories of a Bread Slice, is the same as 100 cal of turkey bacon?

I was eating Paleoish this last couple of weeks, but now that i've to eat more calories because i was eating less calories than i was supposed to to get thiner faster (dumb idea....) im starting to see food differently.

I went to the supermarket and i bought cereals, whole wheat bread, etc and based only on calories a breakfast with froot loops and skim milk with a slice of bread and a bit of cheese cream have the same calories as 2 scrambled eggs with turkey bacon. If both have the same calories, are the same in my body? i will still be in deficit if i eat cereals and bread and keep my calorie goal?

Hope i was clear enough for someone to help me!

Thanks all!

Replies

• glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    All calories are the same. Some sources may make you retain more or less water, but a calorie is just a calorie.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    Well your first question is more complex.

The second question on weight loss is no it does not matter what calories are for weight loss since it is total calories in< calories out
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,963 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    A calorie is a unit of measurement. Like feet, inches, or kilowatts. It is always a calorie.

That said, calories of different foods/types process differently and sometimes at different rates. And those foods obviously have different nutrient amounts.

Weight loss only requires a calorie deficit. Period.

However, the kind of food used to get the calories have different nutrients. Should your focus be also on nutrients, then the kind of food you use to get the calories would also be of interest to you.

So, yes, if you eat cereals and breads, and keep a calorie deficit, you will lose weight. But if you overconsume them, and exclude other kinds of foods too much, you will be missing out on nutrients.

I advise, have what you want, but in moderation. That's just my opinion. :smile:
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
  • dunnodunno
    dunnodunno Posts: 2,290 Member
    Options
    They're the same, but different foods will satiate you longer than eating a lot of chips, candies, etc.

That's not to say that I don't eat my fair share of junk food.
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    A calorie might be a calorie, but what you eat can slow down your metabolism. So for long-term weight loss, a calorie is not a calorie. You can consume more calories with a faster metabolism.

But such an utterance is sacrilegious on this site, where posters will tell you to eat whatever the hell you want for weight loss, it doesn't matter. Just don't exceed your limit. Twinkie calories and avocado calories are the same. Your metabolism, I guess, can never change based on what you eat.

So in theory, if you ate 1,500 calories of Twinkies everyday for a year, your weight would be no different than if you ate 1,500 calories of vegetables everyday for a year. I don't buy it. And no, nobody has advocated eating only junk food on this site. It's a hypothetical.

http://www.fitday.com/fitness-articles/fitness/weight-loss/4-foods-that-slow-your-metabolism-down.html
    Not one scientific reference to be found in your link
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    eric_sg61 wrote: »
    A calorie might be a calorie, but what you eat can slow down your metabolism. So for long-term weight loss, a calorie is not a calorie. You can consume more calories with a faster metabolism.

But such an utterance is sacrilegious on this site, where posters will tell you to eat whatever the hell you want for weight loss, it doesn't matter. Just don't exceed your limit. Twinkie calories and avocado calories are the same. Your metabolism, I guess, can never change based on what you eat.

So in theory, if you ate 1,500 calories of Twinkies everyday for a year, your weight would be no different than if you ate 1,500 calories of vegetables everyday for a year. I don't buy it. And no, nobody has advocated eating only junk food on this site. It's a hypothetical.

http://www.fitday.com/fitness-articles/fitness/weight-loss/4-foods-that-slow-your-metabolism-down.html
    Not one scientific reference to be found in your link

And where is the scientific reference that eating 1,500 calories of junk food for a year will result in the same weight loss as eating 1,500 calories that extremely limits junk food for a year?

Here's another of thousands you can find on the web. I suppose they are all made up, or made to fit an "agenda."

http://www.livestrong.com/article/489628-fast-carbohydrates-slow-carbohydrates-diets-that-speed-up-your-metabolism/
    http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/11/08/twinkie.diet.professor/index.html
    Cliffs
    Lost 27 pounds in 10 weeks-Over 2lbs per week loss
    1800 cals per day
    Improved blood work

• Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Since a calorie is just a unit, they're all the same.

Healthy food makes a healthy you! But you can lose weight eating all donuts, if you want.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    A calorie is a calorie - if you eat the same thing.

You will weigh more on a 2,000 calorie diet of Twinkies than a 1,500 calorie diet of Twinkies.

You will weigh more eating 2,000 calories of fish, chicken, eggs and vegetables, than if you eat 1,500 calories of fish, chicken, eggs and vegetables.

But 2,000 (or 1,500) calories of Twinkies will give you the same results as 2,000 (or 1,500) calories of fish, chicken, eggs and vegetables? Really?

When it comes to weight loss, yes.

• J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    Since a calorie is just a unit, they're all the same.

^This...

For health and fat-loss, stay in a caloric deficit and fill up as many of those precious calories with mostly whole, nutrient dense foods. If you have calories to spare fill the rest with whatever you fancy...
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    OP - I told you that any comment challenging the "religion" of calorie counting will be treated as sacrilegious.

No, any comment that does not have evidence supporting it is treated as utter nonsense, as it rightfully should be.

I'm going to leave this here:

http://theconversation.com/no-youre-not-entitled-to-your-opinion-9978