So, I can't do didly squat.

Options
I tried taking my weight training up a notch and started the stronglifts 5x5 program.

I only lasted 2 weeks.

I have femoroacetabular impingement (FAI) in both my hips, and though I thought I could work through the pain, I just couldn't. There is just too much stress on my hips when doing squats and deadlifts.

The main reason I wanted to lose weight was to take some of the pressure off my lower extremities. To be honest, I have been doing better with weight loss.

But I am really disappointed that I cannot continue with the program. I'm at a point where I know that I will never get better and I will have to llive with this pain forever. surgical interventions are not an option at this point. I need double reconstructive hip surgery and I am worried that being in my 30s, I will wear out the hardware within 5-7 years. Subsequent surgeries thereafter have proven to be less effective. I am trying to hold off the surgeries as long as possible (its already been 5 years).

Anyway, I need to find a new program now that could be just as effective as the stronglifts one. Any recommendation? Also, if you know of any hip / groin strengthning exercises, I would love to hear from you.

Thanks.

Replies

• Sweetvirgo63
    Sweetvirgo63 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Are you sure that such a program is beneficial to you and your body? How about just walking, bicycling, or swimming for cardio and doing free weights and/or lat downs for strength? Can you even run without suffering any pain? By what I read, it sounds like any hardcore program could be more of a risk to you physically than anything else.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    I'd look into body-weight work with the help of a physical therapist. Most of those movements can be extensively modified if needed.
  • daynerz
    daynerz Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Yoga. ;)
  • MisterZ33
    MisterZ33 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    Sweetalot wrote: »
    Are you sure that such a program is beneficial to you and your body? How about just walking, bicycling, or swimming for cardio and doing free weights and/or lat downs for strength? Can you even run without suffering any pain? By what I read, it sounds like any hardcore program could be more of a risk to you physically than anything else.

i can absolutely do some weight training. squats and deadlifts, in particular, are the only exercises i am having difficulty with. Yes, i cannot run without pain. i use the eliptical without any issue.

youre right about doing some free weights for strength. maybe an isolated muscle workout routine is an option?
  • MisterZ33
    MisterZ33 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    stealthq wrote: »
    I'd look into body-weight work with the help of a physical therapist. Most of those movements can be extensively modified if needed.

i was looking into the TRX suspension gym for that particular reason. I have tried it and it is also a good tool for stretching.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    MisterZ33 wrote: »
    Also, if you know of any hip / groin strengthning exercises, I would love to hear from you.

Thanks.
    Only ones I know are squats and lunges.

GL dude, sounds like you have a bit of a challenging road in front of you.
  • 20yearsyounger
    20yearsyounger Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    Progressive increase the resistance on your elliptical. Definitely builds muscle in the legs.
  • Fujiberry
    Fujiberry Posts: 400 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    You're definitely one of the cases where a beginner would actually benefit from isolation exercises or less strenuous variations of compound lifts. If you're injured, I wouldn't recommend trying to push past it without a doctor/physical therapist's guidance.

I had a lot of pain in my left hip during squats, but what helped for me was strengthening my glutes/hips for support. Glute/hip bridges helped A TON, and I have very little pain there now. What also helped for me was narrowing my stance in both squat and deadlift to the point where my feet were only a foot's width apart. It took the strain off my hips. The wider the stance (sumo squat/deadlift), the more pressure on your hips.