Long runs?

Options
2»

Replies

• BChanFit
    BChanFit Posts: 209 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Oh my goodness! So much good information here! Thank you everyone! Really appreciate the support.

I plan to do the Runkeeper marathon to finish training plan, starting in May. The 20 miles a week was recommended by a few running friends to get comfortable with more miles than I've been doing previously until May.

Here's the deal with this month - it's been a mess so I've been trying to build up to the 20 miles but am working around my races. I would never EVER do 2 long runs back to back just for funskies. That was a challenge race series: 10k, 5K, 10 miles in one weekend. Never done anything like it, don't plan to again any time soon but thank you for taking the time to peek at my track record. This month has been littered with races so I'm trying to get my mileage up and just including the races which is why it looks so wonky. My 1/2 marathon on the 25th will be my last race of the season though. Was going to do 4 miles 3 times a week (like Monday, Wednesday, Friday) and then an 8-10 mile on Saturday with Sunday being a rest day.

I strength train for 30 minutes 5 times a week.

Have never tried a foam roller... just not sure what to do with it but that's what the Google is for. :)

Just have a sore throat, wouldn't run if I was *sick* sick. No fever or lung issues.

Also - I agree Winter running is awesome. -8 was my coldest run last year. That's Minnesota for ya don'cha know. :)

• SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Build up slowly. I ran my first full on 20MPW and it was a disaster. After, I started adding in extra running days, from 5 to 6 to 7. The weekdays were 3-4mi each, then a 10-13mi weekend long run. Then, I added a mile to some of those runs every few weeks, and back it off every third week or so, and continue to build. For your first, I wouldn't concern myself with speedwork, but rather building a mileage base of NO LESS THAN 45MPW, and at least 3 long runs of at least 2.5 hours or 18 miles, whichever comes last.

My marathon training cycle looks sorta like this, and I've run 2 marathons this fall, and my third this Sunday:

M 5
    T 5
    W 8
    T 5
    F 5
    S 5
    S 13-18

I don't really like speedwork, but I like to race, so I do that instead for the threshold work and to get better about mixing it up with other runners. I took an hour off my PR from Sep 2013 to Sep 2014, but YMMV.
  • BChanFit
    Options
    Build up slowly. I ran my first full on 20MPW and it was a disaster. After, I started adding in extra running days, from 5 to 6 to 7. The weekdays were 3-4mi each, then a 10-13mi weekend long run. Then, I added a mile to some of those runs every few weeks, and back it off every third week or so, and continue to build. For your first, I wouldn't concern myself with speedwork, but rather building a mileage base of NO LESS THAN 45MPW, and at least 3 long runs of at least 2.5 hours or 18 miles, whichever comes last.

Thanks! Again, the 20 miles per week is just to get me to the training plan that I'll start in May. The training plan is definitely an increase in mileage. The actual race isn't until *next* October. :)
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    You sound like you are starting from a really good base, and have a good plan in mind for getting there. Good luck! It's a fun ride. Painful at times, but very rewarding at the end!
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    Options
    Kindeo wrote: »

Thanks! Again, the 20 miles per week is just to get me to the training plan that I'll start in May. The training plan is definitely an increase in mileage. The actual race isn't until *next* October. :)

Building up now is a good idea, as in, go into the training plan with a 45MPW base. You'll have an amazing first one if you can swing that.
  • glevinso
    Options
    45 miles a week (base) is a hell of a lot of running for someone's first marathon. I don't think anyone actually has that as their base for their first one. By the end of a beginner training plan, sure, but seriously 45/week is way more than necessary.

Of course if you CAN get there, you will rock it. But I wouldn't at all say you need to.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    Options
    glevinso wrote: »
    45 miles a week (base) is a hell of a lot of running for someone's first marathon. I don't think anyone actually has that as their base for their first one. By the end of a beginner training plan, sure, but seriously 45/week is way more than necessary.

Of course if you CAN get there, you will rock it. But I wouldn't at all say you need to.

I wouldn't recommend going into it with any less.
  • BChanFit
    Options
    Just checked. The training plan I was looking at starts the first week at 20 mpw, then adds about 1-2 miles each week until it gets up to about 36 mpw.
  • glevinso
    Options

Plenty of people go into it with a 20mi/week base. I know plenty of people who have done so, complete the plans, don't get injured, and run between 4:00 and 4:30.

Nobody is going to qualify for Boston starting at 20/week, but you can certainly safely train for and complete in a reasonable time with a base like that.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    Options
    Just checked. The training plan I was looking at starts the first week at 20 mpw, then adds about 1-2 miles each week until it gets up to about 36 mpw.

Which plan? Keep in mind that there are warm ups and cool downs that you need to account for, and if properly done, will have the plan peak higher. Like, around 45MPW ;)
  • glevinso
    Options

OK now that really seems too light to me. Check out the training plans here, like Novice 1:

http://www.halhigdon.com/

http://www.halhigdon.com/training/51137/Marathon-Novice-1-Training-Program
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    Options

Plenty of people go into it with a 20mi/week base. I know plenty of people who have done so, complete the plans, don't get injured, and run between 4:00 and 4:30.

Nobody is going to qualify for Boston starting at 20/week, but you can certainly safely train for and complete in a reasonable time with a base like that.

Oh I finished my first in 4:27. I get that. Bet your people had about the same positive split I had. Not trying to get op a bq, just trying to save from a miserable experience that I and many others have, that's all.
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    NEVER want to run 2 hours. 10K is more than enough for me. Cudos to you. o:)
  • glevinso
    edited October 2014
    Options

Oh I finished my first in 4:27. I get that. Bet your people had about the same positive split I had. Not trying to get op a bq, just trying to save from a miserable experience that I and many others have, that's all.

OK we are on the same page then. My first was around 4:35 starting from a 25ish base, and using the Higdon plan. I was plenty pleased with myself. Miserable experience at the end for sure.

Got my times down into the 3:20 range though and now trying for a < 3:10 BQ in a few weeks.
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options

I actually am currently running at least 50-55 miles per week and have had 62 miles in one week and my first full marathon is not until December. Lot's of 18 milers, some 20 milers, and even a 22 miler long run already under my belt. This week was my running anniversary so I slowly built all of this in 1 year. So it can be done if you do it slowly, consistently, and smartly.
  • BChanFit
    Options
    What is bq? Certainly hope it's not Boston qualifying... I will never EVER be that fast. Not even on the bucket list. I would be Sooooo happy to finish in something around 4:30. That would be really amazing. This time 2 years ago I couldn't run 1 minute and hated any kind of exercise at all really. I will also be studying for comps for my PhD around marathon weekend so ill be busy but I can handle 30-45 miles per week. 50+ would be out of the question. If thats necessary I'm out of the marathon game until 2017. :(
  • Maleficent0241
    Maleficent0241 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    What is bq? Certainly hope it's not Boston qualifying... I will never EVER be that fast. Not even on the bucket list. I would be Sooooo happy to finish in something around 4:30. That would be really amazing. This time 2 years ago I couldn't run 1 minute and hated any kind of exercise at all really. I will also be studying for comps for my PhD around marathon weekend so ill be busy but I can handle 30-45 miles per week. 50+ would be out of the question. If thats necessary I'm out of the marathon game until 2017. :(

Honestly, 30-45 MPW is probably fine for your marathon as long as you aren't looking to race at a (relative to you) peak level. The risk of training on less miles is that A) your overall conditioning may not be adequate, and thus the race will be a long and painful experience, and B) your long run becomes a significant part of your weekly mileage, which puts you at risk for injury and a lot of mental hurt as well. From time to time, your long run may reach near 50% of your weekly mileage, but it's not a great habit to get into. Ideally, it would be 33% to 40% max.

The long run shouldn't be too difficult overall from a physical standpoint, save the last few miles when you are pushing to a new distance. Most of the run you should be running easy and relaxed. Where it really becomes difficult is the mental game - how do you deal with continuing on through the urge to stop, etc.

The marathon really is more than twice as hard as a half, both physically and mentally. Don't skimp on training - it makes for a miserable experience. Ask me how I know :'(
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    Options

Here's the thing... I bet if you run a GREAT first marathon, you'll be back for more, and a BQ isn't farfetched. However, run a terrible one, you may not want to run another (hopefully not due to injury). I prefer to see aspiring marathoners in the former rather than the latter. The advice I gave is on the conservative side of running a marathon, and I think with consistency/determination (which a PhD says a lot about that trait in you) you will be fine :)
  • Curtruns
    Curtruns Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    Going past there, yea that's when it gets hard and stays kinda hard :)

It does stay hard but.....you recover a lot faster.
  • BChanFit
    Options
    Well, I got the 7 miles in today and it wasn't terrible! Audio book helped and got it out of the way before the sun was up. I think I'll keep building up to my 20 a week for now and then increase that when I can. I also invested in a few books on marathon running and am doing research on a few different plans. Good thing is time is on my side. I think a year should be sufficient to at least finish, which is my ultimate goal at this point. :)