BodyMedia - accurate or not?

Options
13»

Replies

• rita27ny
    rita27ny Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I'm interested in this product. Which body media do you use? I see the link is more money do you think its better? I do a bunch of activities hike, run, yoga.

Please suggest which is better? Thanks
  • Pinkranger626
    Pinkranger626 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I have the bodybugg (older version of the bodymedia as they've mergered) and the Fitbit One. I've found the bodymedia to be more accurate in tracking things that the Fitbit doesn't track well (Spinning, yoga, etc.) which makes it more accurate in general as a lot of my fitness activity involves weights and things that the Fitbit doesn't track very well and I found it tedious to go through and log everything manually. Like any of the fitness trackers it can be slightly off in its numbers but it's been proven to be 90% accurate. It measures by using a pedometer, an accelerometer, measuring your body heat and prespiration levels. I like mine because it keeps me aware of what I'm doing activity wise. It was immensely helpful this past month when I hurt my back and wound up on the couch for a week. Seeing that I wasn't burning my normal calories kept me more aware of what i was putting in my mouth, which my wasitline thanks me for!
  • VastBreak
    VastBreak Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Does the BodyMedia require a monthly fee?

I remember reviewing a couple of these products and 1 device had a monthly access charge.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    The BodyMedia is actually the most accurate as it does not estimate. The FitBit is just an estimator. I used the FitBit for a couple days and hated it. I tested out the accuracy of steps by actually counting and it was grossly overestimating, it also estimates how many calories you burn based on how many more steps you take. You could shake the FitBit and burn calories, but with the BodyMedia it calculates it based on sweat, temperature, and I believe HR.
    They all estimate. It doesn't use HR, it uses the same accelerometer technology they all use, plus some skin sensors.

It does have a monthly fee.
  • Pinkranger626
    Pinkranger626 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Yes the monthly fee is $6.95 which I wasn't super happy about paying... but since I know it works pretty well it's not horrible. Plus there's no contract so you can cancel at any time rather than being stuck with 6 or 12 months like it used to do.
  • rita27ny
    Options
    I read the core 2 is coming out and comes with hrm bluetooth very interested.
  • donohoe4
    donohoe4 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I used a body media fit when I lost the majority of my weight. I loved it!! Great tool!
  • jmreich30
    jmreich30 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I would say its very accurate. If you look up specs on it, its about 95% accurate which is phenominal when you think about how it works. It uses skin sensors and accelerometers to measure your body temperature, motion, heat flux and is able to tell when you are in a hard cardio zone (vigorous activity). I've lost 100lbs using it since February and love it. It definitly helps you tailor your workouts better and see whats working and whats not.
  • rita27ny
    Options
    Does HRM give a better reading of calories burned then the body media? do u think should wait for the core 2 or buy the Body Media Link?
  • jaz050465
    jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
    Options
    Does HRM give a better reading of calories burned then the body media? do u think should wait for the core 2 or buy the Body Media Link?
    A HRM can only be used for aerobic exercise where as the BMF is for all day wear.
  • rita27ny
    Options
    do u think should wait for the core 2 or buy the Body Media Link?
  • jaz050465
    jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
    Options
    I'd wait. It was supposed to be released in autumn- not sure what latest news is.
  • rita27ny
    Options
    I'd wait. It was supposed to be released in autumn- not sure what latest news is.

:) I hope so. thanks for the advice!
  • truckerchic
    truckerchic Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I wrote on body media's FB today asking about the Core2 and if it was still even coming out, they said they are still working on it so it will not be released for the holiday. I have the link but really looking forward to an upgrade!
  • rita27ny
    Options
    Y is it taking so long? Hm
  • rita27ny
    Options
    I wrote on body media's FB today asking about the Core2 and if it was still even coming out, they said they are still working on it so it will not be released for the holiday. I have the link but really looking forward to an upgrade!

Would u get a difference in wat u have to pa y or pay full price
  • nickriccio
    nickriccio Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    you should trust the numbers. my wife and I both have been wearing them for a couple years. my wife has made great progress with hers. if you're are losing that much weight, the darn thing is pretty accurate since one pound equals 3500 calories. so if you're losing 2 pounds per week, multiply 2 X 3500=7000 calories. then divide that by 7, that's an additional 1000 calories to what you're eating just to MAINTAIN. if you're losing more than 2 pounds, that's even more calories.