Staying on track while on vacation

Options
Hi all,
I'm off to Mexico for a week soon and I'm wondering if anyone has any tips or advice for staying on track with diet and exercise while on vacation. It's an all-inclusive resort and I know it's not realistic to go without any alcohol, but I really don't want to get totally off track and lose the momentum I've built over the last while.

Help! Any tips or advice are appreciated!

Replies

• Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Don't go too crazy on the food. Get in as much physical activity as you can. Don't be afraid to gain a couple pounds - once you get home get right on track again and it will come off quickly.
  • darvin1023
    darvin1023 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    All inclusive resort = VERY HIGH chance they have a gym and free wifi.
    Log your exercises and food in-take, and that should keep you on track.

When ever i go on vacation, i now try to find hotels/resorts that have gyms now.
    I go in their gym in the morning to burn of the calories think i will consume for the day.
    That way, when that desert tray comes in during breakfast, lunch, AND dinner time. I don't feel so guilty eating that extra slice of cake.
    And if you do get overboard on the food for that day, just burn it off tomorrow at the gym.

As for alcohol. Those colourful fu-fu drinks are high in sugar most of the time. Champagne or white wine is always a good alternative.
  • drop_it_like_a_squat
    drop_it_like_a_squat Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Me I always try to choose the healthier foods for meals to not feel too bad about a few treats here & there just as cocktails or dessert.
    I usually stay pretty active during vacation - I'm a huge su*ker for sight-seeing and taking walks on the beach. Mexico is great for sight seeing.

Just don't forget that you're only on vacation once a year (well, I am haha) and enjoy yourself. As long as you get back on track when you're home again it's all good.

Have a great time there!
  • khall86790
    khall86790 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    It's all about portion control and trying to choose stuff that has more meat than carbs, also try to choose meals that include veggies. Don't forget you don't have to eat everything on the plate!
  • IndigoFlowers
    IndigoFlowers Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I just got back a week ago from a two week vacation in Florida... I went all out, I ate all the sweets, fried food, late night munchies, etc, that my heart desired. I was active though and I did try to stick with drinking water instead of drinking away my calories (although I admit that I hit up Sonic for happy hour a couple days in a row for their route 44 size slush).

I only gained 3 pounds, I have NO regrets.
    But if you want to stay on track by means of "healthy" food and healthy portions, then definitely use portion control and stay active. In my opinion you should not be worried about calories while you are on vacation, but everyone is different. Listen to your body and your hunger, only eat what you actually think tastes good too.

HAVE FUN! :flowerforyou:
  • LBNOakland
    LBNOakland Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I just got back from a week in Florida! I was very conscientious to drink my gallon of water a day. I ate light breakfasts and lunches. The hubs and I split dinner entrees and usually ordered an appetizer that all 6 of us split. I drank adult beverages, which was my biggest downfall. I stayed active but did not intentionally exercise. I only gained 2 pounds. I think my body needed the rest after 6 months of weight lifting. It needed the "refeed". I am working with my trainer tonite for the first time since being back. We will see how the lifting goes! Hope I made some gains!! :bigsmile: If not, I did not destroy my diet and I had a wonderful time!!