Core training post-tummy tuck...

Options
I am curious, to those that have had fleur-de-lis/anchor (with muscle repair) tummy tucks, how long after the surgery did you feel comfortable enough to really work on building the core?

I had mine 4 months ago and wonder if the feeling I get when I do planks or other core exercises is something I can pay mind to and push a bit further or if I should heed it and not go that little bit extra. It's not pain, or discomfort really. It is very hard to explain.

Replies

• amyk0202
    amyk0202 Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    I've been wondering the same thing. I had an extended tt with muscle repair on 6/19/14, not a fleur-de-lis, & I haven't been able to do any ab work at all yet. I'm impressed that you can do planks. I have been using my Weider Ultimate Bodyworks for everything else & just stabilizing myself is painful. Yesterday I actually used my abs on the machine to get repositioned & it hurt so much I thought I was going to have to call the surgeon.
  • jeedsjds13
    jeedsjds13 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I can do them, but for very short periods and from the knees instead of regularly. I want to work on that core and get it strengthened and functioning. My surgery was June 16, 2014 and I am glad yours was right around the same time o I know it's not just me lol
  • MrsSanthoff
    MrsSanthoff Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I had one done in November and would like to know about this as well.
  • gladass12
    gladass12 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I had a full tummy tuck w/ muscle repair (breast to pubic) without drains in August 2014 (along with breast lift without implants, and lipo of flanks). I had some normal swelling, but no other issues. By the time i was 12 weeks post op (end of October), I got the OK from my surgeon to do any physical activity I wanted. He said I should just listen to my body, and scale back if I needed to. I started doing Beach Body/Shaun-T's Focus T25 workouts. There were/are lots of core work, and a lot of plyometric-type exercises. I definitely modified when i first started out because I was afraid I would mess something up in my body. In the beginning, I think what bothered me most was the odd feeling when I'd engage my core and its surrounding muscles. The odd feeling would include a weird tugging/tightening sensation, which made me nervous enough to scale back a bit. The odd feeling is still there (along with residual numbness in my skin and underlying muscles closer to my TT scar), but I've gotten used to it. It was more difficult at first, but I think modifying has helped me strengthen my core more quickly. I'm now able to do planks, burpees, and other core-engaging workouts... better than before I had the muscle plication! The biggest challenge I have right now is when I engage my lower abs. I can tell that the area will take more time to heal... I'm guessing that it's because it's closer to my scar. I hope this helps! If you have any doubts, or questions, you should contact your surgeon. I'm not doctor (just someone who has first-hand recent experience), but feel free to pm me with any questions, or anything!