Stronglifts 5x5

Options
teezygotdoe
teezygotdoe Posts: 20
edited October 2014 in Health and Weight Loss
Hello, I want to tone my muscles (not get buff or super muscular) I heard Sl 5x5 is a classic and great program.

Can anyone give me a idea of how many reps I should do to define and tone my body?

5'5 - 142 pounds. I am using two 5 pound dumb bells lol please don't judge me I am new to weight lifting.

Replies

• logg1e
    logg1e Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    I heard Sl 5x5 is a classic and great program...
    Can anyone give me a idea of how many reps I should do to define and tone my body?

Read the website thoroughly before you start is my advice. (Your question suggests that you really haven't).

It's a great programme, I hope you get as hooked as I have. You should consider joining the 5x5 group here too, it's full of very informative, supportive people.
  • Maleficent0241
    Maleficent0241 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    logg1e wrote: »

Read the website thoroughly before you start is my advice. (Your question suggests that you really haven't).

It's a great programme, I hope you get as hooked as I have. You should consider joining the 5x5 group here too, it's full of very informative, supportive people.

My thoughts exactly. Stronglifts is a progressive heavy weights program, 5 sets of 5 reps of each exercise (except deadlifts). It is a great program. Read up about it and think about giving it a try!
  • threnjen
    threnjen Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    Stronglifts 5x5 is a great program. However it uses an olympic barbell so to do this program you will need access to a gym (or a home gym). If you google the program and visit the website you can read all about what it is and how it works.

Our Stronglifts 5x5 ladies group here on MFP is very friendly :) (Hi logg1e!)
  • tsikkz
    tsikkz Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    5x5= 5(sets) x 5(reps)

My best suggestion is to have a trainer show you how to do the lifts, and also how to dump the weight safely its the best way to safely start lifting without snapping your *kitten* up
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    threnjen wrote: »
    Stronglifts 5x5 is a great program. However it uses an olympic barbell so to do this program you will need access to a gym (or a home gym). If you google the program and visit the website you can read all about what it is and how it works.

Our Stronglifts 5x5 ladies group here on MFP is very friendly :) (Hi logg1e!)

You don't have to use an olympic bar actually. I did it for a year and never touched one.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/560459-stronglifts-5x5-summary

• ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    5 reps, 5 sets. Not including your warm-up sets, although as a newbie you may not need warm ups just yet.

If the 5lb DBs do not make you feel tired after 5 reps, increase the weight. You should not be able to breeze through the reps, although you shouldn't be hurting yourself to finish them either.

Your ticker also says you are trying to lose some weight. Since you should be eating at a smaller deficit (0.5-1lbs week) you might not have a problem wtih doing 5x5, but otherwise being in a calorie deficit does make lifting weights more strenuous. I personally do 3x4-6 myself... max 4 sets. Even that is usually excessive and i'm really trying to not do it, unless the first set was just really too easy and I'll count it as a quasi-warm up.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options

My thoughts exactly. Stronglifts is a progressive heavy weights program, 5 sets of 5 reps of each exercise (except deadlifts). It is a great program. Read up about it and think about giving it a try!

Pay special attention to EXCEPT DL's, as I'm blonde and missed that part, couldn't walk the next day.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »

Pay special attention to EXCEPT DL's, as I'm blonde and missed that part, couldn't walk the next day.

In SL aren't you doing squats more often than DLs? like ONE set of DLs? I do 3 sets lol. Love deadlifts, 1 set once a week would not work for me.