Thoughts and advice please...

Options
According to TDEE -20% I should consume 1640 calories for weightloss. My BMR is around 1550. I normally eat about 1300 but I'm not losing much weight I'm kinda stuck. I I work out 5x per week and burn about 300 calories on the days I work out. I tried eating today close to TDEE -20 % but feel stuffed. I'm afraid of gaining weight! Am I doing the right thing by eating calories according to TDEE -20 %?

Replies

• MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    I thought you said your TDEE says you should consume 1640 for weight loss?

My advice is that you eat that amount and eat back your exercise calories.
  • suzeexoxo
    suzeexoxo Posts: 170 Member
    Options

I did say that. But I normally eat 1300. I've been under eating for a while now and today was the first day of eating close to 1640. I'm just afraid to gain weight eating that many calories.
  • girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    Options
    It's okay to be afraid, but do it anyways :wink:
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    +1
  • suzeexoxo
    Options

Thanks I will I hope it works!
  • libbydoodle11
    libbydoodle11 Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    Yes, eat your 1640 calories. It works.
  • pander101
    pander101 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    I'm doing the TDEE approach but I don't eat back the exercise calories because it is already calculated into that allowence. I'm at about 1673 and work out about 5 days a week.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options

This is incorrect if OP is including exercise into her calculation, which TDEE does. If this is the case, only eat to 1640. If this is NOT including exercise, then log and eat back calories (this is your NEAT/net calculation).

I used to do TDEE, switched to NEAT and eat back exercise cals, has been working better for me in terms of having more exercise freedom.

and.. you will not gain weight on 1600 cals, OP. No one's maintenance is that small that 1600 would be over their maintenance and cause a gain, unless they've really screwed up their metabolism from under-eating.
  • shadowofender
    shadowofender Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    With TDEE, and being at -20% of that number, you should definitely eat that whole number . If you got your TDEE by inputting proper workouts, do not eat the calories back. But if you didn't, then you should. All depends on your settings.
  • 50sFit
    50sFit Posts: 712 Member
    Options

^^^^^
    THIS
    Sometimes, less is actually more...and more is actually less.

• madisonamanda
    madisonamanda Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I was plateaued for a couple of months eating a low calorie diet, and working out 5x a week like yourself. I started IIFYM and upped my caloric/carb/protein intake by a fair amount and instantly started dropping pounds. I'm the strongest, leanest and meanest I've ever been... Eating WAY more :)
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Ideally, eat as many calories as you can to lose. After 5 months of trying it the lower calorie way, I'm on a diet break. I have AWESOME energy at the gym now and am making some serious progress on my lifts. When I start again, I will be following the highest caloric intake possible, while still meeting my goals.
  • suzeexoxo
    Options
    Thanks everyone your feedback really helps!
  • RAinWA
    RAinWA Posts: 1,980 Member
    Options
    ana3067 wrote: »

This is incorrect if OP is including exercise into her calculation, which TDEE does. If this is the case, only eat to 1640. If this is NOT including exercise, then log and eat back calories (this is your NEAT/net calculation).

I used to do TDEE, switched to NEAT and eat back exercise cals, has been working better for me in terms of having more exercise freedom.

and.. you will not gain weight on 1600 cals, OP. No one's maintenance is that small that 1600 would be over their maintenance and cause a gain, unless they've really screwed up their metabolism from under-eating.

The bolded part is just wrong. I'm a 5'1", 52 year old, 132 pound sedentary woman and I maintain on less than 1600 a day. A lot of shorter, older women need less than 1600 a day to maintain. And I have not screwed up my metabolism from under-eating.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    No one's maintenance is that small that 1600 would be over their maintenance and cause a gain, unless they've really screwed up their metabolism from under-eating.
    This is not true.

OP, I don't know your deal and suggest you consult with a doctor. Make sure you have no health issues ("feeling fine" doesn't count), get a target weight and daily calorie amount. Everyone should see a doctor for a physical once a year and when beginning a weight loss journey. Every expert will tell you so.

Then, eat as much as you can while losing. The number varies from person to person and can't be done with generalized formulas, of which there are so many. The exact formula that all the experts agree on...doesn't even exist.

So, I certainly do not pretend to have the answer, lol. But with a little guidance and some trial and error, you'll find the answer for you. :)

• suzeexoxo
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    No one's maintenance is that small that 1600 would be over their maintenance and cause a gain, unless they've really screwed up their metabolism from under-eating.
    This is not true.

OP, I don't know your deal and suggest you consult with a doctor. Make sure you have no health issues ("feeling fine" doesn't count), get a target weight and daily calorie amount. Everyone should see a doctor for a physical once a year and when beginning a weight loss journey. Every expert will tell you so.

Then, eat as much as you can while losing. The number varies from person to person and can't be done with generalized formulas, of which there are so many. The exact formula that all the experts agree on...doesn't even exist.

So, I certainly do not pretend to have the answer, lol. But with a little guidance and some trial and error, you'll find the answer for you. :)

Thanks for your suggestions. I am in good health. I just had a physical about a month ago.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    suzeexoxo wrote: »
    Kalikel wrote: »
    This is not true.

Thanks for your suggestions. I am in good health. I just had a physical about a month ago.
    What did the doctor say about your weight?
  • suzeexoxo
    Options
    I've lost 15 lbs since my last physical which was last year ago so she said I'm on the right track. All my lab work is good.

I just feel it's weightloss is coming off too slow. She didn't really have any other suggestions for me other than keep eating healthy abd work out, which is what I have been doing.

[/quote]

[/quote]
    What did the doctor say about your weight?
    [/quote]

• suzeexoxo
    Options
    ** clarification ** I had a physical 1 mth ago and prior to that a year ago.
  • suzeexoxo
    Options
    For anyone that is curious here are my stats:

5'5, female, 36 yr, wt. 176lbs w/clothes and shoes. Workout for 5x per week 25 min T25.