My Oatmeal Topping

Options
ljashley1952
ljashley1952 Posts: 273 Member
Well, it's getting cooler again and I start cooking more savory or hearty foods. One of the things I eat a fair amount of in cooler weather is oatmeal. One recipe is for a overnight refrigerator oatmeal/yogurt thing that I'll share later. This one is for a topping that I put together for my oatmeal. I hit the bulk bins at Winco and buy both regular and steel-cut oatmeal. I usually cook up enough oatmeal to keep in the frig for 3-4 days. It will set up in the refrigerator into a sticky, gelatinous blob. But when I add some milk or water to it and zap it for a minute in the microwave, it returns to it's perfect oatmeal texture. I have a baggie of toppings I mixed together that I sprinkle on top and it really makes the oatmeal a treat. Below are things that I use to mix together in a bag or tin and use every time I eat oatmeal. I don't use all of these at any one time, but I usually have a fruit, a nut, spices and a sweetener. Feel free to leave out what you don't care for and add other things that you like.

Oatmeal Topping:
Raisins, dried blueberries, currants, dried cranberries, diced apple or banana slices
Chopped walnuts, slivered almonds, soy nuts, dried pumpkin seeds or chopped cashews
Cinnamon, nutmeg, cardamom, cocoa powder
Brown sugar, fine-granulated sugar, brown raw sugar crystals or splenda.

Replies

• _runnerbean_
    _runnerbean_ Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    I usually make my oatmeal with low fat almond milk. I add raisins and cinnamon then cook in the microwave. Add a tiny drizzle of honey and eat! My other option is to make the oatmeal with water then too with a dash of soya cream and honey. Tastes calorific but isn't.
  • libbydoodle11
    libbydoodle11 Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    I usually go for the apples and currants. Sometimes I add cinnamon.
  • jrlaye
    jrlaye Posts: 2
    Options
    I like slivered almonds or pecans toasted, with Craisens and drizzle of maple syrup. Yum!
  • fobs13
    fobs13 Posts: 1,080 Member
    Options
    Like skim milk and organic honey. Rarely put anything else on. Will try a few of the ideas here.
  • LiveLoveRunFar
    LiveLoveRunFar Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I love organic banana and Lactaid milk in my steel cut oatmeal. Yuuuummm. Sometimes substitute mango or blueberries for the banana...but not often!
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    I use whole foods cranberry trail mix and a banana.
  • rlmassman84
    rlmassman84 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I make a lot of homemade (low sugar) apple butter in the fall and then I like to stir it into my oatmeal. Since there are spices and a little sugar in the apple butter I do not add anything else to it.
  • Howdoyoufeeltoday
    Howdoyoufeeltoday Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    I usually eat mine with peanut butter, brown sugar and either banana, apple or dried cranberry. But I'm always trying new stuff. cocoa powder and coconut are a great mix that you can pre make for when you're in a rush.

also for this time of year I make a gingerbread spice mix:
    -2 tablespoons each of ground cinnamon and ground ginger
    -1 tablespoon each of ground all spice, ground nutmeg and ground clove
    -a pinch of pepper if you like extra heat.

It makes about 1/2 a cup and I add usually a teaspoon to oatmeal with either dark brown sugar or a teaspoon of molasses. and voila, gingerbread oatmeal.

• chaos416
    chaos416 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I can't be the only person who doesn't put stuff in or on oatmeal. I like it plain, made with water and a little salt. Maybe butter, maybe not.
  • Mygsds
    Mygsds Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    Love it with b sugar,walnuts, speck of butter and cinnamon.... Tastes like a cinnamon roll..
  • chicacherry666
    Options
    I have 1/33 cup of oatmeal, 2/3 cups of milk cooked on stove when it starts to thicken I add cinnamon and 1 tbsp of no sugar,salt organic peanut butter. It tastes amazing and fills you up and if u want you can add blueberries
  • KameHameHaaaa
    KameHameHaaaa Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    I add egg whites and protein powder to my oatmeal. Also I like PB2, cottage cheese, pistachios, honey, banana, pumpkin... Now I'm hungry.
  • 3Alice3
    3Alice3 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Either cinnamon and raisins (with the occasional mashed banana) OR my new found favourite, a dash of golden syrup :) mmm!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Nut butter
    Pumpkin and pumpkin pie spice
    Apple and cinnamon (with or without almond butter)

• randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Homemade salted caramel in mine.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    chaos416 wrote: »
    I can't be the only person who doesn't put stuff in or on oatmeal. I like it plain, made with water and a little salt. Maybe butter, maybe not.
    Yep. Some days I just like it plain with water and salt.

• getyourbeans
    getyourbeans Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I like half a banana chopped up, about 5 roasted almonds, crushed, a sprinkle of cinnamon, splenda and a splash of milk, all mixed up. There was a time at university when I was eating this combo for three meals a day.
  • 13bbird13
    13bbird13 Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    Just a teeny bit of honey and brown sugar. I'm new to steel-cut oats and I haven't been eating them long enough to have lots of suggestions, but I'll be trying some of the above. Nut butter would be great!
  • mizroxy13
    mizroxy13 Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    I grew up eating Irish oats with butter, salt and pepper.

However, I eat oatmeal EVERY SINGLE DAY for breakfast because I love it, and nowadays I simply eat it with a whole bunch of cinnamon. No milk, no sugar, nada. Just cinnamon. I love it so much!
  • StonesUnturned
    StonesUnturned Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Nut butter
    Pumpkin and pumpkin pie spice
    Apple and cinnamon (with or without almond butter)

I usually go strawberries, blueberries and peanut/almond butter, but I'm liking the sound of pumpkin and pumpkin pie spice. I'll have to try that.