I'm starving myself...

Options
2»

Replies

• purplishblue
    purplishblue Posts: 135 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Have you read the book Eating For IBS by Heather Van Vorous? Many sufferers fund the advice in there very helpful. Many libraries will have a copy of it. It explains which types of food tend to be better for sufferers, and has some recipes too.

Also, why the detox tea? It contains stimulant laxatives that your body can become dependent on. There are much safer alternatives for long term constipation management.

Edited due to stupid autocorrect

I also recommend this! Some of the things you're eating could definitely set off IBS. When I first started out with my IBS there were a LOT of foods that would set mine off, including beans. Be very careful with fiber, and even the eggs you listed could be doing it because they are higher fat. I know personally I couldn't eat any whole grains. I recommend trying white flour foods just to get your symptoms under control. Not super healthy but if it lets you eat every day, that's good enough. I have slowly over the years re-introduced higher fiber and higher fat foods so that now I eat almost normal :) It's possible, but you first have to get it under control. Try Eating for IBS, she has a website as well which is very helpful. She goes over all the foods that can trigger it.
  • Tydeclare44
    Tydeclare44 Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    My ex has IBS, and what really worked for her was the soluble fiber powder from Heather. Just add that to certain foods, and it will help you digest some of the foods you're having trouble with
  • wordwitty
    wordwitty Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Have you tried quinoa? It's a supergrain - full of antioxidants and protein. It's a superfood - my husband introduced to our household when he got IBS.
    -
  • amazingbabydoll
    Options
    I'm listenin to all of you & again, thanks... but quinoa? I have only heard of that once. Hmm. I'll try that.
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    wordwitty wrote: »
    Have you tried quinoa? It's a supergrain - full of antioxidants and protein. It's a superfood - my husband introduced to our household when he got IBS.
    -

It's not a grain, so hardly a "supergrain". Grains are from the cereal plants family.
    Quinoa is a seed. It does have a complete essential amino acid profile and more protein than rice though.
    Superfoods? Not even going there.

• perseverance14
    perseverance14 Posts: 1,364 Member
    Options

Quinoa is actually a seed, it is a grain when grown, but it is the seeds that are harvested and eaten, very tasty and good for you.
  • amazingbabydoll
    Options
    Ohhh
  • ruralife
    ruralife Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Oats are seeds and so is rye, wheat, etc. They are the plants' seeds. How is quinoa different than that?
  • Skrib69
    Skrib69 Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    Have you been tested for food intolerances?? My better half suffers, and was tested. As soon as she cut out dairy (lactose intollerance) and a few other things it was much better. Once you have dealt with that, then see a dietician if things havent improved.
  • Maitria
    Maitria Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    When you see your doctor, please let him or her know about the structure of your diet as it is right now, especially the laxative tea. Has your doc ever recommended Miralax? It's gentle enough to use daily, while laxatives can be really harsh and even mess with your electrolytes. Your doctor or a dietitian should be able to help you figure out a diet plan, even with IBS, that lets you eat every day. I'm wondering if the way you eat currently could be messing with your IBS even more. (PS: Are you an athlete? I apologize if I missed that. You may be able to cut back on protein, which might help with your constipation.)
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    Talk with your doctor. I had a major gut issue this year, that required a limited diet, a 10 day round of antibiotics, and a month to repair the damage.

I basically ate boiled peeled potatoes,white rice, sometimes dry toast, broth, black tea. My doc also had me on powerade zero too.

Eventually I could eat bananas, and plain yogurt, but it was quite a while before I could eat oil/meat/spice/ or high fiber foods. Good luck!

Also- dont eat things that are "supposed" to be healthy. Eat what you can eat without feeling ill.
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    I still have to take vitamins after all that, iron and a b complex. (prescribed)
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    ruralife wrote: »
    Oats are seeds and so is rye, wheat, etc. They are the plants' seeds. How is quinoa different than that?
    Grains are cereal grasses.
    Quinoa is the seed from a chenopod/goosefoot plant. Related to tumbleweeds actually.
    So, not a grass.