What's your opinion on Vaping? Healthy or not?

Options

Replies

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    What do the World Health Organization and the public health department of Canada’s largest city have in common? Both recently called loudly for public bans on e-cigarette use and new rules to prevent their marketing and sale to minors.

http://theglobeandmail.com/globe-debate/editorials/are-e-cigarettes-about-harm-reduction-or-greater-harm/article20284141/

http://healthycanadians.gc.ca/recall-alert-rappel-avis/hc-sc/2009/13373a-eng.php

http://who.int/nmh/events/2014/backgrounder-e-cigarettes/en/

• Brige2269
    Brige2269 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    I quit 12 years ago and I am completely out of the smoking loop. Vape? Vaping?? It that what they are calling smoking ecigs? It's still chemicals going into your lungs. You're just switching one habit for another.
  • JenAndSome
    JenAndSome Posts: 1,908 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't call it healthy, but it's not as bad as smoking. You should be happy for him that he stopped smoking cigarettes and know that not everyone handles each situation the same. I haven't personally seen anyone quit smoking for more than a couple weeks using the e-cigarettes so I am impressed with his will power. I quit smoking almost two years ago and was still with a smoker for over a year after, so I know how frustrating it can be, but the only person you can change is yourself.
  • jasonmh630
    jasonmh630 Posts: 2,850 Member
    Options
    txnow333 wrote: »
    I vape and did extensive research before starting. There is so much misunderstanding what vaping is. This is what I learned from reputable, credible sources. This post will be long to try and explain what I learned, so I apologize in advance.

Vaping is not smoking. Yes, it can be a huge help to those trying to quit smoking, but there is no smoke or combustion involved. The vapor is largely water vapor as the coil (@ the size of a grain of rice or a lentil) heats the PG/VG and the vaper inhales the vapor and flavor. You start at a higher nicotine level and then step down, just as with the patch and gum. Where it helps many, many smokers to quit is that it also addresses the psychological addiction and physical pleasure smoking has, without all the carcinogens and thousands of other chemicals in cigarettes. Some people can quit cold turkey (I did over 20 years ago). Some have trouble doing so -- they may be under stress, and some people just have more addictive personalities. It's easy to say, just quit. Many of us were able to do so. Many have trouble. So many people die from smoking related causes, I think anything we can do to help love ones quit is an act of love.

E-juice (what's used in vaping) has just a few components -- propylene glycol (PG), vegetable glycerin (VG), nicotine (optional) and flavoring. The PG is pharmaceutical grade, often kosher, and is used in numerous food and pharmaceutical applications. It is used in some inhalers used by those with asthma and allergies. It is used in cough medicines, in some injectables, etc.

It has been said that propylene glycol is used in anti-freeze, and that can't be good. Yes, propylene glycol is considered an anti-freeze because it lowers the melting point of ice. So does salt. Most anti-freeze uses ethylene glycol, which most definitely is poisonous. However, when there is the potential for anti-freeze to come in contact with food or water supplies, then propylene glycol is sometimes used -- because it's not toxic. Some anti-freeze also contains water. That's also non-poisonous (usually). <g>

Propylene glycol is used in many foods because of another of its properties -- it is hygroscopic. That means it absorbs and retains water. That's why it's used in baking mixes, to keep them from drying out. That's also why new vapers will get dry mouth. The solution is just to drink more water, which is a good thing.

Propylene glycol can be a by-product of bio-fuel (aka used cooking oil). That PG is crude in form. It can be refined, but the process is expensive so that propylene glycol is used in other ways. The USP grade PG used in vaping is produced specifically for use in food and medicines and the purity level is 99.5% or greater, the remainder being water. It is thought to be antimicrobial and is sometimes used in the ventilation systems of some hotels and hospitals as its water-absorbing properties create an environmental not conducive to some molds, bacteria. (Google propylene glycol and Legionnaire's Disease and Mir space station.)
    PG has been tested extensively for many years and is considered safe both here and in the European Union.

Vegetable glycerin (VG) has similar properties but is thicker and is used by those who prefer it because it is produced from vegetable oils, can be kosher, and is preferred by those who may be sensitive to the PG. Both are often used because the PG is thinner, wicks better, and is better at carrying flavor. VG is used for reasons stated above, and also it produces more vapor. Most e-juice is a mixture of both.

As for nicotine, yes, it constricts blood vessels. So does caffeine. Used in moderation, nicotine is no more addictive than caffeine. If you drink too much coffee, it will have the same physiological effects as too much nicotine. Most e-juice can be obtained in varying levels of nicotine. Higher levels are for those trying to wean themselves off cigarettes, then they gradually level off. Some will then quit vaping. Some find it enjoyable and continue but at lower levels. It's like cutting back on coffee, but not going to decaf. As you may have read, there are actually some health benefits to caffeine in moderation -- alertness, memory retention among others. There has been recent research into using nicotine in similar ways (apart from smoking), as it has been found to have benefits for those with memory impairment. Google nicotine and Alzheimer's. Many (myself included) prefer ultra light or zero nicotine.

Then there are the flavorings. Yes, some contain natural and artificial flavors. Some are organic and only use natural flavorings. They are a bit more expensive, but the option is there for those who prefer that.

So, why vape if you're not a smoker? I do because I find it a relaxing and quite enjoyable alternative to snacking. I now work from home and the temptation to snack is great. When I take a break, instead of eating something I know I shouldn't, I have a nice cup of tea and vape a bit. I prefer fruity flavors (watermelon, blueberry, strawberry, caramel apple and many more) but also butterscotch, cinnamon roll, tea/lemonade mix, and most anything else you can think of. I have lots on my wish list and will probably try the mimosa and Irish coffee for the holidays <G>.

Vaping is NOT a diet aid and I do not mean to imply in any way that it is. For me, it is an alternative to snacking. I'm relatively new to vaping, so can't speak to any weight loss results, but if I'm snacking less, it can only help (IMO). The PG and VG are technically sugar alcohols similar to what is in diabetic candies. I do not have diabetes, but do check my blood glucose levels and have found no increase in glucose levels both while vaping and overall. YMMV.

As for the noisy vaping husband, that's called gurgling and is a common complaint among vapers. Search Google and YouTube for vaping and gurgling and you'll find sources for solutions. It's easily fixable.

What is called an e-cigarette is more accurately and functionally a mini nebulizer pen, except that instead of delivering medication, it delivers flavor. This post has gone on for far too long, but I tend to not know when to stop <g>. For those who would like more information for themselves or a loved one who is trying to quit smoking, Google e-cigarette forum. There are over 200,000 members (and many more guests) who are very knowledgeable on the subject.

If anyone would like additional information (or just to debate <g>) feel free to message me. I'm off my soapbox for now. Sorry if I offended anyone.

You... I like you...
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,565 Member
    Options
    Neither for it or against it.
    It's vapor so it's more than likely not harmful. People use vaporizors to help them breath now.
    Vaping may lead/continue to someone's addiction to nicotine. Personally I don't like that teenagers do it because while it may not be a health hazzard like cigarettes, the cost factor is still there and getting addicted to nicotine is what kept smokers originally purchasing. I've seen the average cost much more than a pack of cigarettes. It's a lot of money used for something that provides little benefit, IMO.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• jlahorn
    jlahorn Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    It's vapor so it's more than likely not harmful. People use vaporizors to help them breath now.

Whoa, no. Vapor is not ok just because it's vapor. Vapor just means that something's suspended in air. It's what's IN the suspension that causes harm or benefit. People commonly use WATER vaporizers to help them breathe better. On the other hand, vapor from the artificial butter in microwave popcorn contains diacetyl, which causes bronchiolitis obliterans, aka popcorn lung. Mercury in vapor can cause all kinds of horrendous health problems. All vapors are not even remotely equal.

• Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Well, I used vape as quitting aid which is what they are intended to do, no? So yea, I definitely think using a vape for 6 months to quit smoking entirely and then getting off the vape is much safer than continuing to smoke...
  • Of_Monsters_and_Meat
    Of_Monsters_and_Meat Posts: 1,022 Member
    Options
    wait. you use a vap for cigarette replacement? I think I'm in the wrong thread.
  • Guns_N_Buns
    Guns_N_Buns Posts: 1,899 Member
    Options
    I hate that 'vaping' is the word-of-the-year. Ugh, society.
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,771 Member
    Options
    If I'm a clean eater, can I vape? Will I still be "clean?"
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,565 Member
    Options
    jlahorn wrote: »
    ninerbuff wrote: »

Whoa, no. Vapor is not ok just because it's vapor. Vapor just means that something's suspended in air. It's what's IN the suspension that causes harm or benefit. People commonly use WATER vaporizers to help them breathe better. On the other hand, vapor from the artificial butter in microwave popcorn contains diacetyl, which causes bronchiolitis obliterans, aka popcorn lung. Mercury in vapor can cause all kinds of horrendous health problems. All vapors are not even remotely equal.
    Point taken, but IF the flavors and oils used in vaping were toxic/poisonous, the FDA would have definitely stepped in by now. That's not been the case.
    Not to mention many vaporizors use a menthol oil of some type to help with congestion/breathing.
    So yes, what's suspended in the vapor can cause harm or benefit, but as I mentioned, I don't believe the current oils and flavors do that.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    Well, I used vape as quitting aid which is what they are intended to do, no? So yea, I definitely think using a vape for 6 months to quit smoking entirely and then getting off the vape is much safer than continuing to smoke...

tumblr_m94m1b3Blj1r2c83ao1_500.gif
  • Erin_goBrahScience
    Erin_goBrahScience Posts: 1,215 Member
    Options
    My opinion is this; I don't smoke however if you are over 18 and want to do it its none of my business.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    I haven't seen enough research that suggests that vaping is safe, but I doubt it's as harmful as smoking real cigarettes.

I think the vaping smell is a lot more tolerable than cigarette smoke, but I still don't think it should just be allowed everywhere. A coworker of mine had the gall to do it right in the middle of a high-profile meeting. :huh:
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    emilyasdf wrote: »
    Yeah, I don't like it either. I think smoking anything is bad for you and I've never really seen anybody quit smoking using a vape. They just switch their nicotine addiction over from cigarettes to vapes. I was a pack a day smoker and quit 2.5 years ago cold turkey and thankfully vapes weren't really a thing yet. I'm grateful I don't have the addictive need to consume nicotine in any form. Congrats on quitting.

I smoked for 20 years 1-2 packs a day, thankfully I did have the option of an e-cig which I used for the first 3 months, that helped with the habit part. Now I don't use the e-cig and haven't smoked in 2 years.

My pulmonologist is the one that recommended quitting this way, so I'll take it as it's a healthier alternative than continuing smoking
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    If I'm a clean eater, can I vape? Will I still be "clean?"

True clean people have absolute moral, spiritual, and physical purity.
  • MadelyneA
    MadelyneA Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I quit smoking (after 35 years) by using an e-cig about 15 months ago. Never looked back. It was a great decision for me and my SO to help us quit. I have now quit the e-cig as well (just 5 days ago). Quitting smoking never stuck until I had the e-cig, now I don't need any of it. (SO is still vaping, but he's getting there.) I think it saved our lives.
  • cosmiqrust
    cosmiqrust Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    i quit smoking using a vape pen going on two months ago. i immediately switched to the lowest possible nicotine dosage (0.06%) and i've had fantastic results so far apart from a little increased sensitivity to smell. obviously it's a crutch, but aren't patches, gum and all the traditional quitting methods? the point isn't that it's perfect -- it's just a step in the right direction. it's up to the user when they're ready to quit it altogether. as long as it's keeping me from falling back on the chemical clusterf*ck of tobacco cigarettes, i don't mind it.

i do agree that it should be regulated where you can smoke these things though, like you probably shouldn't be whipping out your marshmallow flavored vape juices and puffing away in front of your boss or at your daughter's wedding.
  • NextPage
    NextPage Posts: 609 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I totally understand vaping as a tool to quit smoking since it is definitely the better of two evils - we all need help sometime getting from A to B. However, I find it astonishing that "vaping" is a hobbie for some and there is a "vaping" community. Besides the health effects of smoking a secondary reason for many people quitting is the ongoing daily cost of supporting their habit. The fact that is more expensive to get natural "vapors" means that you are either replacing one expensive habit for another or are inhaling artifical chemicals on purpose. That said, if you are adults and if this is how you choose to spend your hard earned money this is your choice. Just hoping this isn't placed higher on your list of spending priorities than a gym membership, work out gear or healthy produce.
  • RunnersLament
    RunnersLament Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I quit smoking many years ago... smoked 2 packs a day of Export A "Green Death" (harsh, harsh almost filterless cigarettes). I couldn't quit smoking until I came to the realization that Nicotine addiction works in two separate capacities.

For a smoker, there are two addiction hurdles to face. There is a psychological addiction... the habit of putting something in your mouth and the physical addiction from the nicotine. While I suppose that Vaping can be used to wean someone off the nicotine, they still have to address the psychological nature of the addiction. I have to question whether a person who has switched to Vaping, has really addressed the psychological addiction and in the absence of an E-Cigarette, will they feel compelled to spark up a real smoke?

In my case, I needed to use the Nicotine patch, Zyban and avoid the psychological triggers (people smoking around me, the cup of coffee, the beer)... basically avoid the circumstances that triggered the craving. I've now been smoke free (never "Vaped") for 22 years, but still on occasion smell that tobacco smell and think ...a smoke would be nice right now (and I know I never will)

As for whether Vaping is healthy? There are over 4,000 different toxic chemicals in a standard cigarette... I'll say that it probably is less destructive than smoking. But then inhaling any foreign substance into one's lungs likely does have some health consequences.

My 2 cents and to paraphrase Steve Miller... I've been a joker, a smoker, a midnight toker. I'm sure I don't want to see anyone get sick.

Cheers,