Thanks bab xx
  • pknjhh
    pknjhh Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    What kind of routine you looking at?
  • squatmami
    squatmami Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Well i have booked a personal trainer to get me started (just so i can start safely) do you have any suggestions on routines ?

Im very keen to train my legs and *kitten* so i am hoping it will involve lots of squats/lunges
  • squatmami
    Options
    Lool it blanked out butt well at least the word i used for it anyway hahaha
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    You're actively looking to engage the biggest muscle groups in the body, in what will be the most tiring workouts you can come up with.

Good for you. That's excellent. Enjoy the squats, but really... enjoy the two days after an epic squat session. ;)
  • squatmami
    Options
    No pain no gain , is what you guys say aye ? Lool
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Programs to look into if you are just starting out:

Stronglifts
    Strong Curves
    AllPros
  • squatmami
    Options
    Thanks mate im writing all this down , what is this 5x5 that a couple of you mentioned ?
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    squatmami wrote: »
    Thanks mate im writing all this down , what is this 5x5 that a couple of you mentioned ?
    Stronglifts 5x5.
    Basically do 5 sets of 5 when you get to your work sets. It's a good starting linear program.

I'm doing something a little closer to GVT with my lower body workouts, which is a volume training program at high weights. It's just different types of programming. Starting Strength is a great one to try as well.

Basically though, pick one, do it for 12 weeks, reassess.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    I do a modified version of Stronglifts 5x5. Modified because I only do 2x/wk and glute bridges instead of deadlifts. When we stall, we try going down 5lbs and adding reps for a week, then back up again. You start low, and try to progress weekly or every other week, but at some point, you get so close to your max that you stall for a bit. Having 2.5lb plates is also helpful. We were stuck with 5s as our smallest, and it was harder to progress that way.
  • squatmami
    Options
    Cheers guys ur all so helpful xx i cant wait to start and i did notice my gym has the 2.5 plates so that good 4 me
  • squatmami
    Options
    Do those post workout things help with muscle repair umm i think its called glutimin or something ? Or shall i drink protein ?
  • Tydeclare44
    Tydeclare44 Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    Lifting friends?
  • haildodger
    haildodger Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    squatmami wrote: »
    Do those post workout things help with muscle repair umm i think its called glutimin or something ? Or shall i drink protein ?

http://stronglifts.com/12-strength-training-supplements-dissected/
  • squatmami
    Options
    Wow nice 1 , aint wasting my money on that x
  • Fitteacherc
    Fitteacherc Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I started lifting a few weeks ago :) Welcome!