Swimmers?

Options
I've been noticing a lot of people do weights or treadmill and not that weights aren't awesome and everything 'cause they ARE (though I think runners are masochistic weirdos ;) )

But I'd love to see the swimmers.

If you're a swimmer, are you strictly a fitness swimmer? Do you ever compete? Do you do open water swims, pool training, what's your thing?

I'd love to see what other swimmers are up to.

Replies

• ashenriver
    ashenriver Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I am part of a Masters Swim group. I also do Open Water swim events. I completed a 2.1km and a 3.1km swim this past summer.
    There is a really active Swimmers group on MFP as well.
  • amcook4
    amcook4 Posts: 561 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I'm a swimmer! At this point, it is strictly for weight-loss/overall fitness. I swim anywhere from 2-4 times a week in a lap pool at the local University. I'm pretty slow at my swimming, but it is still a great workout. Eventually I'd like to do more with it, perhaps even some small tri's after I'm a healthier weight.

I also run (well, used to before an injury) and strength train (along with the occasional elliptical and cycling)

20350194.png
  • yogicarl
    yogicarl Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    Open water swimmer here - for exercise and I find it meditative as well as being an awesome social activity, unlike pool swims which are just up and down the lane and avoiding everyone else at all cost.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Much to the consternation of my mother and high school swim coach, I never officially competed. I've raced people who wanted to race, but just for fun. "But you'll win!" was never a reason to spend hours every day, at a certain time, swimming in a certain way...I would probably have lost my love for it if it had become a chore. I already knew I could win, so why do all that regimented swimming?

I love pools. I love wave pools. I love the ocean, but you have to worry about rips and getting bit but who knows what (plus birds pooping), so I stick with pools.

But I love to swim. It appears I may have swum my way into a rotator cuff issue (Advice: DO NOT swim into harsh waves!), so I've been trying one-armed swimming, but haven't mastered that. Yet. :)
  • 20yearsyounger
    20yearsyounger Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    Swim a little Fitness only, neighborhood pool, to add a little variety. On average half hour a week.Breaststroke to tighten chest as I don't do weights.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Hi, been swimming for 19 yrs and am 59. I also do acqua gym. I usually go to the pool 3-4 times a week for an hour and 15 min. I do laps for 40 min and acqua gym for 30. I'm not real fast, but I would say moderate. I like to improve myself and keep working on my technique. Best. :)
  • arl1286
    arl1286 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I am a reluctant swimmer due to a recent foot injury preventing me from doing anything weight-bearing. I've gone to swim 5 times now and it's finally starting to get easier! It was very frustrating at first, because I went from being in great running condition (3 weeks away from a HM with a pretty okay goal time) to being a terrible swimmer overnight. I certainly wouldn't say I enjoy it, but I don't hate it :)
  • NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    LOL. I had a marathon runner rehabbing an injury think I was a freak of nature because I could outswim him by so much. He couldn't believe a woman my size was so much more "fit" than he was.

Hadda explain that while I really do swim pretty well and have a decent CV system, that the real difference was that swimming is incredibly technical to do well and I'd been practicing a while.