Advice

Hey ! I am 18years, 195lbs and female.
I started going to do the gym, where I do 30 mins HIIT on the treadmill and jillian michaels no more trouble zones, which is basically weight training . I use 6 pounds weight each, my arms are flabby ( will this make me bulky ?)
I really want to loose weight, but I am a bit lost and don't know where I start, especially in terms of my diet.
Does this picture of the food look healthy?96zv2s0a6vwu.jpg

Replies

• LeonCX
    LeonCX Posts: 862 Member
    edited October 2014
    Yes it does. However, the "look" of a food doesn't tell you much, as far as nutrition. Accurately weighing and logging what you eat is your best bet for weight loss.

Wishing you great success on your goals!
  • Sorry ! This might sound a bit dumb but weighing and logging ?? Like carry a scale around ??
    Will the 6 pounds dumbell on each arm make me bulky .
    Btw I am 5'7
  • LeonCX
    LeonCX Posts: 862 Member
    edited October 2014
    I'll let someone else answer the dumbell question as I don't know. But as for your food, almost everyone here will say, for best results in weight control, you should weigh - at least measure - what you eat and track it in your food diary. But the food choices on your plate looked very healthy.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    I personally would go for double or triple this serving of broccoli, but yes, this looks like a well rounded meal. I just like to bulk up on my vegetables because having a lot of them can make a meal look huge since I'm a volume eater.

As for the arm flab, the flab might go away quite soon or get worse before it gets better. It depends on how the fat is distributed and how your skin handles it. If it does get worse don't panic, this is because as the fat gets less dense the arm looks more flabby, but once you are close to your goal weight and if you continue to use weights it will likely get much better or even disappear since you're young. And no, you will not get bulky.

6 pounds is good for now but if you want to progress with strength you may want to eventually increase them every time you get a good handle on the weight and it does not feel as challenging anymore.

As for nutrition, just stay within your calories. Don't stress too much about making every single meal perfect. If the majority of your diet is nutrient rich and high in protein and fiber you will be able to have more leeway in terms of types of foods you choose to eat. Note that this is mainly for satiety, muscle mass and health reasons. For weight loss itself, it does not matter what you eat as long as you are within your limits.
  • LeonCX wrote: »
    I'll let someone else answer the dumbell question as I don't know. But as for your food, almost everyone here will say, for best results in weight control, you should weigh - at least measure - what you eat and track it in your food diary. But the food choices on your plate looked very healthy.

Tanks a million
  • I personally would go for double or triple this serving of broccoli, but yes, this looks like a well rounded meal. I just like to bulk up on my vegetables because having a lot of them can make a meal look huge since I'm a volume eater.

As for the arm flab, the flab might go away quite soon or get worse before it gets better. It depends on how the fat is distributed and how your skin handles it. If it does get worse don't panic, this is because as the fat gets less dense the arm looks more flabby, but once you are close to your goal weight and if you continue to use weights it will likely get much better or even disappear since you're young. And no, you will not get bulky.

6 pounds is good for now but if you want to progress with strength you may want to eventually increase them every time you get a good handle on the weight and it does not feel as challenging anymore.

As for nutrition, just stay within your calories. Don't stress too much about making every single meal perfect. If the majority of your diet is nutrient rich and high in protein and fiber you will be able to have more leeway in terms of types of foods you choose to eat. Note that this is mainly for satiety, muscle mass and health reasons. For weight loss itself, it does not matter what you eat as long as you are within your limits.

This was really helpful.. Thanks :smiley:
  • cookmtn
    cookmtn Posts: 156 Member
  • cookmtn wrote: »

Thanks.. I feel a lot better :smiley: