I know I sound lame but, what is TDEE and macros?

I've read on several board topics here people talking about TDEE and macros? I'm thinking one has to do with percentage of protein eaten, etc... but what is it? I'm sure learning that would help me get to where I need to go with my weight loss/health journey! If anyone can recommend a good web site or book to explain these things, I would truly appreciate it! Thanks! :smile:

Replies

• herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    I've read on several board topics here people talking about TDEE and macros? I'm thinking one has to do with percentage of protein eaten, etc... but what is it? I'm sure learning that would help me get to where I need to go with my weight loss/health journey! If anyone can recommend a good web site or book to explain these things, I would truly appreciate it! Thanks! :smile:

TDEE is total daily energy expenditure. It's the amount of calories you need to eat to maintain your weight and includes your exercises. Macros are the protein, fat, carbs set up in your food diary. Search the forum for info on them. There should be loads of threads.
  • Ainar
    Ainar Posts: 858 Member
    TDEE = Total Daily Energy Expenditure. It's how much calories you burn a day. So if you burn 2000 cals a day it will be your TDEE. If you ate 2000 cals you will be at your maintenance and neither gain or lose weight, if you ate above your TDEE you will gain weigh and if you ate below it you will lose it.

Macros stands for macro-nutrients such as protein, fat, carbs. They do not generally effect your weight loss, calories does. People counts how many carbs they ate or how many protein they ate if they are on particular type of diets, such as low carb diet or high protein diet to gain muscle mass. These things are not necessary if you just wanna lose some weight and stay generally healthy.
  • mimiteh35
    mimiteh35 Posts: 486 Member

Thanks for the link! Checking it out now! :)
  • mimiteh35
    mimiteh35 Posts: 486 Member
    Thanks for the responses guys! I appreciate you all getting back to me and not making me feel stupid for asking! :)