Breastfeeding and weightloss...HOW???

Options
Im needing help losing the last bit of baby weight. 20 pounds to be exact :neutral_face: Im currently exclusively breastfeeding my 4 month old and losing NOTHING. Every week Im the same as the week before, maybe a pound up maybe a pound down.So the "breastfeeding helps you lose weight" is not the case for me! How can I safely lose weight while breastfeeding? Ive been eating my maintain calories since I thought bfing helped you burn calories. Should I go lower? Any tips and support would be appreciated!!

Replies

• JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,210 MFP Moderator
    Options
    You should probably talk to your doctor about how best to lose weight while breastfeeding. You need enough calories to be a healthy, energetic mama, as well as give your baby enough. :) A doctor can help you figure out how to do that while also losing weight if you need to.
  • lorib642
    lorib642 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    davis_em wrote: »
    You should probably talk to your doctor about how best to lose weight while breastfeeding. You need enough calories to be a healthy, energetic mama, as well as give your baby enough. :) A doctor can help you figure out how to do that while also losing weight if you need to.

Or if you have access to a lactation consultant, there was one where I delivered, they could help.
  • ashtonscoggins
    ashtonscoggins Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I talked to her (doctor) last appointment and all she said was to drink enough water, trying a low impact exercise like walking and watch portions. Then she said some people just hold on to more weight during. I can see that but 20 pounds? :neutral_face: Maybe Ill ask about seeing a nutritionist. I wont stop bfing just to lose weight and Im not good 100% of the time but I was pre pregnancy weight with my first two children by 2 months pp so this is really getting me down that Im almost 5 months pp and lost nothing.
  • ashtonscoggins
    Options
    Im also hungry all day! The first month or two I was starving constantly now Im just hungry constantly haha.
  • SuperSexyDork
    SuperSexyDork Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    Has your baby started cereals or baby food? The extra calories you need for breastfeeding lessen as the infant starts eating other foods.

Also, how many calories are you currently eating and what method are you using to track these?
  • ashtonscoggins
    Options
    She has not started any solids. She will will be 5 months old in a week. We plan to wait till at least 6 months old to start her on any foods. I just use myfitnesspal to track my calories I have my current weight put in and set to maintain calories. So Im suppose to eat 2020 a day just on sedetary activity and maintain my weight. I usually always fall under that though. I havent started tracking any exercise ect but I have a heart rate monitor for that.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Four months is not very long. Keep watching your calories and suddenly it will just fall off. Concentrate on enjoying your beautiful new baby right now-congratulations!
  • IrisFlute
    IrisFlute Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Congratulations and kudos for staying with the breastfeeding. That will give your baby lifelong benefits. I wouldn't worry too terribly much about your weight while you're doing that: your job right now is to eat enough to be comfortable and make plenty of milk. You have years ahead in which to change your way of eating and lose weight. Your body is doing what it's supposed to right now.
  • AOdell79
    AOdell79 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I didn't lose the weight until my kids turned a year. So hungry while breastfeeding and needed all those calories! I was able to take off the weight once my babies cut back to nursing 2-3 times a day. Enjoy this time with your baby and don't be too hard on yourself! Once your baby grows into a new stage you might find weight loss comes a little easier.
  • blktngldhrt
    blktngldhrt Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    I was more hungry while nursing than I was while pregnant! Sometimes your body just holds onto the weight while breastfeeding because
    of the hormones associated with it.

I agree with your doctor. If you're not already, making sure your calorie allotment is being fulfilled by healthier foods might help. Breastfeeding does burn calories. I think there's even something on the app to track that. I think it was - 250 calories.

I nursed for 2.5 years..and could only do low impact exercises during that time. For some reason high impact affected my supply even with eating the calories back. It doesn't happen to everyone. I was just..lucky. Haha.

Best of luck!
  • stepfordexwife
    Options
    All 3 times I breastfed I held on to 15-20lbs of baby weight. I have no idea why. I was a great milk producer and the second I stopped breastfeeding the weight dropped off within a month. Could just be hormones.
  • kwjager
    kwjager Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    The idea that breastfeeding helps *all* mothers lose weight isn't exactly true. Some people lose a lot; others hold on to their calories and only lose once they have stopped breastfeeding. Don't worry! Enjoy your baby, nurse on demand, take care of yourself, and things will even out. Remember that it took nine months to grow that healthy baby! It'll likely take that long to get back to your pre-pregnancy weight. Again, don't worry. Keep nursing!
  • kwjager
    kwjager Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Also, I saw above that you have two other babes, so you know the drill. Remember also that sleep deprivation plays a role, here, too. The more you sleep, the more milk you make, and the more your body can recover from cortisol flooding (and thus lose weight.) Maybe with two other kiddos and a newborn, you are TIRED, and that's another factor.
  • ashtonscoggins
    Options
    Thank you ladies for the support and advice. I guess because my body just feels so different than after my other two and that now im the heaviest Ive ever been not pregnant I feel this urgent need to lose weight! I am working on eating "better for you" food.
  • 30Purple
    30Purple Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat and my baby is also 4 months. Doctor said increase exercise (duh) and protein (duh) and water (haha).... but yeah, still holding onto some weight. I decreased calories for a while to 2200 and went back to work and my supply dropped (I exclusively pump) immensely, so I backed off a bit. Better to be a little fluffy than to lose the supply!
  • MaryPoppinsIAint
    MaryPoppinsIAint Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    My goal is just to maintain prepreg (218) until Christmas, when baby girl will be six months old. Then I'll start worrying about losing.