literature

Options
Hey,

I am not looking for a diet book, I already have a diet that I am extremely happy with, believe in and think "I wanna do this for the rest of my life". What I am looking for are some good books about nutritious and health and fitness. I want to be more informed.
Besides my destructive food addiction I also have a non life destroying reading addiction and if I have a project to do it helps an awful lot for me to read more and more about it.

any suggestions or advice?

Replies

• Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Check amazon or ebay for nutrition textbooks.
  • 50sFit
    50sFit Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    Here's one I liked...
    0pynrixu49th.jpg
  • emmahouli
    emmahouli Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    Check amazon or ebay for nutrition textbooks.

I do that, and goodreads, but it keeps coming back with diet books rather than learning about nutrition
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Eat, Drink, and Be Healthy: The Harvard Medical School Guide to Healthy Eating Paperback –
    Nutrition For Dummies Paperback – May 31, 2011
    Vitamins For Dummies Paperback – September 16, 1999
  • Catter_05
    Catter_05 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I am reading a book a book right now called The Miracle of Self Discipline by Brian Tracy. I am not into self-help but I need to improve this aspect of my life! I never fail through lack of knowledge I fail because I take the easy way.
    I am also reading How We Learn by Benedict Carey. While both of these books are good, I am definitely more of a fiction lover! I just finished Mr. Mercedes by Stephen King which was different for him, more of a detective novel. Still filled with his characters though, which is why I like him.
    On my bookshelf waiting for me to read I have Animal, Vegetable, Miracle by Barbara Kingsolver. This book came highly recommended to me. This may be something you would be interested in. I have read other books by her which I enjoyed.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    I tend to read more about food, eating and diets than 'nutrition'. But you might like some of these authors:

Michael Pollan is terrific, Barbara Kingsolver's food books aren't bad, Mary Enig, Sally Fallon, Eric Schlosser, Nigella Lawson, Anthony Bourdain, Alton Brown, Marion Nestle, Linda Bacon

On 'eating': Brian Wansink, Geneen Roth, Jan Bays

Some of these look good:
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/10/25/food-books_n_4152048.html

On fitness: Bill Phillips, Kathy Smith, Lou Schuler, Covert Bailey

• crazybookworm
    crazybookworm Posts: 779 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I loved Slim for Life by Jillian Michaels. Although I read it after I reached my goal weight, the book was loaded with stuff that I found valuable to maintain my weight loss. I originally checked it out at the library but ended up buying a copy because I had so many passages and pages dog-eared. I thought it was a really great read!
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    I like Michael Pollan's books a lot. While Dr. Oz is kind of a quack-a-doodle, he does do a good job of explaining how the body works.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I read Dr. Oz's books before he had a tv show and they were sensible and level-headed.
  • emmahouli
    Options
    Catter_05 wrote: »
    I am reading a book a book right now called The Miracle of Self Discipline by Brian Tracy. I am not into self-help but I need to improve this aspect of my life! I never fail through lack of knowledge I fail because I take the easy way.

Oh you should try "The Power of Habit" not actually a self help book, but REALLY interesting on the inner workers of self control!

• rand486
    rand486 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Examine.com is a phenomenal *scientific* resource - it gives summaries of various nutritional questions, and sources their information. I believe they sell books with further information as well.

I tend to rely more specifically on scientific studies, as the self-help books out there are so highly suspect; they rarely hold up when you ask for hard evidence.
  • jim180155
    jim180155 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    Five star books (according to my Goodreads ratings):

Salt Sugar Fat: How the Food Giants Hooked Us by Michael Moss
    Spark: The Revolutionary New Science of Exercise and the Brain by John J. Ratey
    Bigger Leaner Stronger: The Simple Science of Building the Ultimate Male Body by Michael Matthews (This is probably my favorite)
    The China Study by T. Colin Campbell
    Whole: Rethinking the Science of Nutrition by T. Colin Campbell
    The Healing of America: A Global Quest for Better, Cheaper, and Fairer Health Care by T.T. Reid (It's not what you're asking for. It's about healthcare systems world wide. Good book.)

A couple four star books:

Get Up!: The Dire Health Consequences of Sitting and What We Can Do About It by James A. Levine
    Fitness Confidential by Vinnie Tortorich (Half biography/tell-all, half fitness advice. It's worth reading for the gossip.)
    Muscle Myths: 50 Health & Fitness Mistakes You Don't Know You're Making by Michael Matthews

I won't bother with the lower ranked books.

• kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    emmahouli wrote: »
    Catter_05 wrote: »

Oh you should try "The Power of Habit" not actually a self help book, but REALLY interesting on the inner workers of self control!

This was a great book! Really fascinating stuff about how the mind works, but still entertaining - not a dry "science" book.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    +1 for Michael Pollan (Especially In Defense of Food)
    and
    +1 for The Power of Habit
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I read Dr. Oz's books before he had a tv show and they were sensible and level-headed.

They were! I almost feel dirty saying that. :laugh:
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    I have never read this but my mother really enjoyed the Body For Life books. She's had long lasting success using their methodology.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Well, it's not a book, but I find the articles on the following sites to contain great info, perspectives and studies (plus free :D).

bodyrecomposition.com
    body-improvements.com
    bretcontreras.com (He does have a fitness book that has different fitness program levels and types that I highly recommend - Strong Curves)
  • emmahouli
    Options
    jim180155 wrote: »
    Five star books (according to my Goodreads ratings):

Salt Sugar Fat: How the Food Giants Hooked Us by Michael Moss
    Spark: The Revolutionary New Science of Exercise and the Brain by John J. Ratey
    Bigger Leaner Stronger: The Simple Science of Building the Ultimate Male Body by Michael Matthews (This is probably my favorite)
    The China Study by T. Colin Campbell
    Whole: Rethinking the Science of Nutrition by T. Colin Campbell
    The Healing of America: A Global Quest for Better, Cheaper, and Fairer Health Care by T.T. Reid (It's not what you're asking for. It's about healthcare systems world wide. Good book.)

A couple four star books:

Get Up!: The Dire Health Consequences of Sitting and What We Can Do About It by James A. Levine
    Fitness Confidential by Vinnie Tortorich (Half biography/tell-all, half fitness advice. It's worth reading for the gossip.)
    Muscle Myths: 50 Health & Fitness Mistakes You Don't Know You're Making by Michael Matthews

I won't bother with the lower ranked books.

Oh some awesome looking fitness books in here! I saw The China Study being toted a lot, but it looks like one HEFTY book, that will one for the kindle I guess (although bringing it about in my handbag totally counts as a work out right?), from your list, Campbell looks like a good direction to head down, and Spark looks interesting too.

Thanks