Juice Fast

Options
Hi all! A friend shared a link to a vid of a juice fast (all healthy fresh fruit and veges, not store bought juice). It looks really good, just wondering if anyone has done one and how it went? I'm thinking of buying a juicer and going on a 7 or 10 day juice fast.

Replies

• PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options
    TAt1M6N.gif

• paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,061 Member
    Options
    Juicing fresh fruit and veggies, if that is your thing - fine. As PART of a balanced diet

Going on a week long "fast" of ONLY consuming juice - silly.
  • beautifuldisasta
    beautifuldisasta Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Have you tried it though?
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    what is the point of this juice fast? Like everybody else said, don't do it, it is stupid.
  • PrizePopple
    Options

No, because I like to chew my calories.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    So you plan on starving yourself for 7-10 days? OUT
  • paperpudding
    Options
    No I have not.

I haven't tried running into a busy highway, jumping from a 20 foot tree, sleeping all night hanging upside down, or pouring boiling water on my hand either.

Some things you just know are silly without having to try them for yourself.
  • paperpudding
    Options
    I will add that I have tried eating a variety of foods at a sensible calorie deficit - and that did work well.
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    I know someone who did a juice fast.
    Was not effective at all.
    Now they supplement their intake with juices; not make up their entire intake of juices.
  • beautifuldisasta
    Options
    No I don't plan on starving myself, have you seen how much fruit and veg goes into it? Honestly I understand all your answers, I thought much the same before watching the video. I started the thread wanting answers from people who have actually tried it and how it went and the only constructive answer on here was from missiontofitness.
  • PrizePopple
    Options
    Ask yourself this ... is this something that is sustainable? Could you do this every day for the rest of your life to maintain weight loss?

If yes, then by all means knock yourself out.

If no, then this is the best advice you've received ....
    I have tried eating a variety of foods at a sensible calorie deficit - and that did work well.

• Letsdothis1984
    Letsdothis1984 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I did a juice fast, not as a "diet" but to detox my body. I used only organic fruit and vegetables and did it for 10 days. I was not hungry at all because I was drinking every 2 hours or so and 25-30 oz at a time. I noticed my bloating went away as I was really hydrated and my body was getting a ton of nutrients from it. My skin was glowing and my hair seemed healthier. I felt pretty bad the first 3 days as that's the initial detox phase. They really only recommend to to it for 3-7 days but I went a bit longer. Plus I lost an average of 1lbs a day. (I gained it all back when I started to eat, so don't do this just to lose weight)
  • beautifuldisasta
    Options
    Ask yourself this ... is this something that is sustainable? Could you do this every day for the rest of your life to maintain weight loss?

I have tried eating a variety of foods at a sensible calorie deficit - and that did work well.

I'm not thinking of doing this long term, just for the 7-10 days. I don't think its sustainable for long periods of time. I understand what your saying :)

• beautifuldisasta
    Options
    boysonr wrote: »
    I did a juice fast, not as a "diet" but to detox my body. I used only organic fruit and vegetables and did it for 10 days. I was not hungry at all because I was drinking every 2 hours or so and 25-30 oz at a time. I noticed my bloating went away as I was really hydrated and my body was getting a ton of nutrients from it. My skin was glowing and my hair seemed healthier. I felt pretty bad the first 3 days as that's the initial detox phase. They really only recommend to to it for 3-7 days but I went a bit longer. Plus I lost an average of 1lbs a day. (I gained it all back when I started to eat, so don't do this just to lose weight)

Thank you so much, these are all things I was wondering about! :)

• ndj1979
    Options

your body naturally detoxes itself…you did not need to a juice cleanse, to cleanse it...
  • ndj1979
    Options

I'm not thinking of doing this long term, just for the 7-10 days. I don't think its sustainable for long periods of time. I understand what your saying :)

what is the purpose of it then?
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

your body naturally detoxes itself…you did not need to a juice cleanse, to cleanse it...

^yep

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1159755
  • 21million
    21million Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I enjoy fasting every now and again. I tend to have more energy and it helps me stay content with my normal diet. I lose weight quickly but it all piles back on just as quickly. To each their own. :)
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Instead of juicing (blowing money on a machine to extract the juice & remove the healthy fiber), how about just EATING all that healthy produce?!?!
    Having the fiber will help your digestion, help you feel fuller longer, moderate your blood sugar by preventing all those simple carbs (in the juice) from entering your bloodstream too quickly, etc.
    boysonr wrote:
    I did a juice fast, not as a "diet" but to detox my body. I used only organic fruit and vegetables and did it for 10 days... I felt pretty bad the first 3 days as that's the initial detox phase... I lost an average of 1lbs a day. (I gained it all back when I started to eat, so don't do this just to lose weight)
    The only detox you need is done by your liver & kidneys.
    There's not a lot you can do, short of drinking water & not eating bad chemicals, to help them out.
    If they're not working, it's going to take more than some juice to make you healthy again.
    You'll be in a hospital, probably in ICU.

51637601.png