How am I doing?

Options
I went off to college and just came home the beginning of May. Over the school year I had lost 20lbs mostly through change in diet (caf food gave me a lot more control over what I ate, and being a poor college student didn't allow me to afford having snacks lying around). I also worked out but predominantly cardiovascular exercises - running, Insanity Asylum.

Well now I'm back home and the food is an issue. I tend to gain weight when I'm home. Now that I have lost this weight over the school year, I not only want to keep it off, but tone! Food hasn't been going too bad. It's no salad everyday twice a day like it was at school but if it's not as healthy I'm pretty good about portion control and make sure to get good stuff in there.
So I've beeng hitting the gym nearly every day. I started off focusing on cardio and running 3 miles every day at a faster pace than normal. Now I've been running 10 minutes in the beginning 10 minutes at the end, and weight lifting. I pretty much always do lat pull-downs, triceps workouts, bench press, squats, sometimes chest exercises, sometimes bicep exercises.... my brother thinks i should be doing much more high intensity workouts like power cleaning etc...

I just don't know if this is the most effective thing to be doing. Should cardio be the central focus, or weight lifting, or how much of each.....
just talk people. Don't even answer a question... just go... give me something haha

Replies

• drop_it_like_a_squat
    drop_it_like_a_squat Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    If you want to "tone" (bleh) lifting is the way to go. I'd suggest you to put the focus there and add some HIIT (High intense interval training). Me, I lift 4-6 times a week and do HIIT 2-3 times a week after my lifting sessions. Doing cardio before my strength training would not leave me enough energy to give it my all during lifting.