Gave up sugar (added sugar) feel great for it

Options

Replies

• SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    50sFit wrote: »
    Well I'm not amazing right now coz I'm sick but I gave up things with added sugar entirely about 3 months ago, plus I stopped eating red meat 1 and a half months ago and haven't eaten fast food since primary school coz I hate the taste. I feel more energetic however I allow myself to eat sugar 10 days in the year and I make sure I follow through after awhile you don't even miss it it's the first 2-4 weeks that are hardest now I don't look back!!!
    Once I started logging my food intake, I saw how much sugar I was eating.
    OUCH!
    I cut that in half and still eat well. I was killing myself with sugar and did not realize it.
    Mmmmmmm.....

How so?
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Yep, a lot of that sugary carby stuff (including pasta, which I love) causes me crazy desires to eat more following that slump. I find that I can't completely eliminate these things but I'm doing what I can to cut back as I realize just how much added sugar is in most processed foods, even those labeled as healthy. & it involves a lot of eating in moderation & making choices. It's very difficult for me to say no to someone who has baked me a birthday cake, but I can take a smaller piece & make sure the rest of my daily intake is higher in protein & more balanced. It's a process of finding what works for you.

If something works for someone, don't knock it just because it's not an option you would personally consider. Be curious, keep learning, & be supportive of others

it is being knocked because it does not make sense…if added sugar and natural sugar are the same, which they are, then what is the point of eliminating added sugar? It is pointless...
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    Yep, a lot of that sugary carby stuff (including pasta, which I love) causes me crazy desires to eat more following that slump. I find that I can't completely eliminate these things but I'm doing what I can to cut back as I realize just how much added sugar is in most processed foods, even those labeled as healthy. & it involves a lot of eating in moderation & making choices. It's very difficult for me to say no to someone who has baked me a birthday cake, but I can take a smaller piece & make sure the rest of my daily intake is higher in protein & more balanced. It's a process of finding what works for you.

If something works for someone, don't knock it just because it's not an option you would personally consider. Be curious, keep learning, & be supportive of others

it is being knocked because it does not make sense…if added sugar and natural sugar are the same, which they are, then what is the point of eliminating added sugar? It is pointless...

I would agree. There is a difference between not eating something because of how it makes your body feel and not eating it because you see it as bad.

No food is good or bad, it's just.....food.

And, sugar is indeed sugar.
  • Paul_Collyer
    Paul_Collyer Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I agree that cutting sugar is beneficial. Not 100% necessary if you are on a balanced diet, but certainly helpful.

But we are all different.
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    I agree that cutting sugar is beneficial. Not 100% necessary if you are on a balanced diet, but certainly helpful.

Please share why.
  • ndj1979
    Options

assuming no underlying medical condition we should all be the same when it comes to sugar….
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options

When you are trying to lose weight, cutting back on (calories) all foods is beneficial. For most of us, overeating food has gotten us to MFP.
  • bett_boop
    bett_boop Posts: 89 Member
    Options

perhaps because the GI of foods such as many fruits is lower than say, candy. I would argue that 'sugar and natural sugar' are not the same, as for instance, argave nectar has a low GI compared to table sugar. And also perhaps because some people find it hard to eat candy and desserts in moderation, where as they do not have that issue when eating fruit.
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    bett_boop wrote: »

perhaps because the GI of foods such as many fruits is lower than say, candy. I would argue that 'sugar and natural sugar' are not the same, as for instance, argave nectar has a low GI compared to table sugar. And also perhaps because some people find it hard to eat candy and desserts in moderation, where as they do not have that issue when eating fruit.
    Bingo as to the bold part.

Moderation takes willpower. And, if most people stuff themselves on any kind of food, they are likely to get sick.

• bett_boop
    Options
    Also food like cakes and desserts tend not to have so many other nutrients, so if you are on a calorie restricted diet then you could be using a large portion of those calories on something with little nutrition.
  • AlyRoseNYC
    AlyRoseNYC Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    Good for you! If you are trying to lose weight, you need to cut calories somehow. Some people do it with added sugars, some don't. You're not doing anything harmful to your body by not putting sugar in your coffee. And you are not preaching to anyone either. I don't see an issue at all with the OP.
  • bett_boop
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »

Bingo as to the bold part.

Moderation takes willpower. And, if most people stuff themselves on any kind of food, they are likely to get sick.

If refined sugar is likely to test someone's willpower than isn't ok to omit it altogether though? I think that when I eat high GI foods I crave more, (as well as having other effects such as energy slumps) so I stay away from them altogether. Other people in my household do not have this issue and manage to eat sugar in moderation.
  • conniedj
    conniedj Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    To the OP, congrats on starting a new healthy habit by kicking a bad one!

I have cut out refined sugar completely, as well as processed food as a result of it making me feel so yuck all the time. Over the years, I have come to understand the way my body responds to certain things.....I have NO tolerance (physically) for HFCS or Sugar made from sugar beet. And I know when I eat something that contains either one ( the lymph nodes in my neck swell)(My Dr. said it's probably due to the chemicals in the GMO's). I also definately notice the instant headache I get if I eat refined sugar.....and subsequent crash in blood sugar.

I always love seeing the "sugar is sugar" argument......I have never gotten sick from fruit and beg to differ. It seems that those in the scientific community would probably agree with me.

Great article in Scientific America about the difference in a short term consumption of fructose and glucose: http://www.scientificamerican.com/blog/post/not-all-sugars-are-created-equal-2009-04-20/?id=not-all-sugars-are-created-equal-2009-04-20

So OP--way to go!!!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Well I'm not amazing right now coz I'm sick but I gave up things with added sugar entirely about 3 months ago, plus I stopped eating red meat 1 and a half months ago and haven't eaten fast food since primary school coz I hate the taste. I feel more energetic however I allow myself to eat sugar 10 days in the year and I make sure I follow through after awhile you don't even miss it it's the first 2-4 weeks that are hardest now I don't look back!!!

Unless your doctor tells you to give up sugar or red meat, or anything else, or you just simply don't like these foods, then there's no reason to give any of it up.

Sugar is sugar whether it comes added or not.

As for me, I don't eat foods with high fructose syrup because I feel icky every single time I do, but it's not the HFS itself but how it makes my body feel.

So not eating foods because they make you feel icky is a good reason. ok: foods with added sugar (including HFCS) make me feel icky. :) Icky being: inclined to overeat. Inclined to be cranky. Inclined to get a tummy ache (store bought bread), inclined to feel bloated...icky.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    Also food like cakes and desserts tend not to have so many other nutrients, so if you are on a calorie restricted diet then you could be using a large portion of those calories on something with little nutrition.

so if I take a fiber capsule with my cheesecake it is now "better" because I have added "nutrients"…..
  • bett_boop
    Options
    I've never heard of fiber capsules so I wouldn't know, but for me, I would rather have 400 cals worth of vegetables, grains, fruit, nuts and fish than cheesecake. Because I am more likely to get a range of nutrients. That said, I've seen some people concoct desserts with all manner of healthy ingredients so I suppose it depends on what you put in your cheesecake!
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options

so if I take a fiber capsule with my cheesecake it is now "better" because I have added "nutrients"…..

I'm assuming you know that fiber isn't a nutrient and are being argumentative for the Lolz. Unless you didn't know... In which case I assume you'll want to research that further.

In regards to your initial post I'm assuming you meant to say "is op claiming NATURAL sugar is better for you than added sugar". You had it mixed up which is why so much confusion stemmed from that post. As far as I could tell she didn't make such claims, she only shared a behavior that's benefited her.

Anyway, if cutting out "added sugar" helps assist in lowering overall calorie consumption then more power to OP. Generally if OP is getting sugar from "natural" sources it will be found in a low calorie, high micronutrient (vitamins and minerals), and high fiber package. If you're going to opt for something sweet why not get the biggest nutritional bang for your calorie buck?

I personally understand your argument that sugar is sugar, but that doesn't really matter in this context as op is not making fanatical dietary claims about how she's a doctor or such and such study proved naturally occurring sugar is molecularly different from non-natural sources and some fake voodoo magic is behind her feeling better. She never said "I am a reputable source for this information, I have proof, and this is the way it is (fact)".

We understand that she is simply a member of the general public and is providing anectodal evidence. Quite frankly if a new member runs across this topic and takes her advice as proof of the above without researching anything for themselves I'm sad to say their ignorance is their own problem.
  • jhboise
    jhboise Posts: 27 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    To lower the amount of sugar she consumes, obviously. She has probably got a lower calorie budget than you do.
  • SLLRunner
    Options

Unless your doctor tells you to give up sugar or red meat, or anything else, or you just simply don't like these foods, then there's no reason to give any of it up.

Sugar is sugar whether it comes added or not.

As for me, I don't eat foods with high fructose syrup because I feel icky every single time I do, but it's not the HFS itself but how it makes my body feel.

So not eating foods because they make you feel icky is a good reason. ok: foods with added sugar (including HFCS) make me feel icky. :) Icky being: inclined to overeat. Inclined to be cranky. Inclined to get a tummy ache (store bought bread), inclined to feel bloated...icky.
    Well, okay then! ;)

• SLLRunner
    Options
    I've never heard of fiber capsules so I wouldn't know, but for me, I would rather have 400 cals worth of vegetables, grains, fruit, nuts and fish than cheesecake. Because I am more likely to get a range of nutrients. That said, I've seen some people concoct desserts with all manner of healthy ingredients so I suppose it depends on what you put in your cheesecake!

It would also depend on what you define as healthy.
This discussion has been closed.