Frustrated

Options
I am very frustrated right now.... work and social commitments have completely messed up my workouts. I was really looking forward to working out tonight and just found out this is no longer possible.... nor was last night.... I missed 3 days in total last week. I feel like my goal is very far away at this rate. I will try to do as many stairs as I can today, though my high heels won't help me in that regard....

I'm on 1200 cals a day and have tried to keep within that range. I really should stay positive and hope that my body is still getting benefit but without exercise, I don't feel like anything will move off me.

What are your experiences? Have you lost weight without exercising before?

Replies

• drop_it_like_a_squat
    drop_it_like_a_squat Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    To lose WEIGHT, it doesn't matter if you work out or not. All you gotta do is create a calorie deficit.
    I guess you know it, but 1,200 cals a day is a very low goal. It might be helping if you upped that a bit.
    Do you eat back your exercise cals?
  • TamaraB70
    TamaraB70 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Yes, 1200 is a low goal but is pretty easy for me. I never feel hungry and do have lots of energy. My body doesn't seem to need that much.... I do eat back my exercise calories -- I know how important that is for nutrition and health. I don't want a huge deficit in vitamins, etc. I also take note of the nutrition panel on here and check to see what I'm missing in terms of vitamins and minerals and try to focus on getting 100% of those.

Once I drop 1/3 of the weight I need to lose, I will increase my calorie intake, along with my exercise.

Weight loss on a deficit will work but with exercise, it works much better :) No work out last night and again there will be no workout tonight due to clients being in town. This only leaves me Wednesday and I have a dinner on Thursday. One day a week is not enough exercise for me. I'm thinking of trying to get up early in the morning and do it - - though I'm really NOT a morning person --- but what's more important? Be healthy or be sleepy? I choose healthy :)
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    You can definitely lose weight without working out, although working out, resistance training in particular, will help prevent loss of lean body mass while losing fat.

What works for me, to avoid work and life getting in the way of my workouts, is to get up and work out while my kids are sleeping. 4:30 is early, and it sucks some days, but I get it in, I start my day right, and I don't have to worry about this or that getting in the way of my workouts.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    As Jen said, the best way to consistently fit a workout into your routine is to do it in the morning. I've never been a morning person either but I started getting up at 5 to take a 6am class and it's been great. I'm the first one to drop a workout for work, friends and family so going early in the morning lets me do both. It's hard getting up, but you get used to it after a couple of weeks.

You can lose weight without working out but when you do workout you look better, feel better, sleep better, eat better and you have more energy.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Agree with the others. The morning time is the best time to work out. 5am - 6am for me. No questions asked. If I'm tired, too bad. Suck it up :) It's amazing how much better working out to start your day makes you feel throughout the day.

And if you are only eating 1200 and consistently working out you aren't eating enough. If you are working out and eating those calories back for a net of 1200, then disregard :)
  • casy84
    casy84 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    When you'll up your cals from 1200 you may experience a stall in the weight loss. It happened to me for more than a month, just be sure you won't get discouraged by it and go back to 1200.