Not Eating Enough???

Hi there, first days but amazed with MFP so far.

When finishing my log entry today I've got a "Based on your total calories consuption for today, you are likely not eating enough .. "

How can this happen if my Net > Goal ?????

Thanks in advance,
Andre

goal:1200 (lose weight)
food:1499
exercise:138
net:1361
remaining: -161

Replies

• Difficult to address without access to your diary.
  • xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    What are you stats? (Age, height, weight, gender)'
    And access to your diary would help as well.
  • Hi guys,

Shouldn't it be independent to any other info? (I opened it if that helps )
    I'm assuming it already uses that info (age, weight ..) to calculate my goal. Is that correct?

If I have a negative remaining (passed the goal) and get the "not enough" message, what's the purpose of the goal?

Anyway, still much better than guessing .. already adjusted my diet.

Thanks again
  • SonicKrunch
    SonicKrunch Posts: 192 Member
    It's just an automatic reply to eating under 1400-1500 calories. It doesn't look at your goal calories at all.
  • xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    I noticed that your profile says you only have 13 pounds to lose. Is that correct? If so, go in and make sure your goal is "Lose 0.5 pounds/week." If you've set an aggressive goal (lose 2 pounds/week) MFP will give you a really low calorie goal.

And I'm going to agree with @vinegar_husbands take on it. As a man, with only 13 pounds to lose, 1200 seems awfully low for a daily goal. (I'm a woman who is just cutting body fat on an average of 1750 a day.) Even though MFP gave you that number, MFP can be wrong. MFP is set up that it will give you a default of 1200 if you select a super aggressive goal. So, even though it says to eat 1200/day, it may actually be too little for you.

After looking at your diary, I really think it's just because MFP gave you a too low goal. Your diary looks pretty decent overall.
  • Thank you all very much!

Was mostly on the iphone app, but with your help and exploring the webapp a bit more, it all makes sense now.

Yes, I just got scared increasing 3Kg in three weeks while recovering from a surgery. I didn't have any diet control before as I was burning everything on running/cycling/swimming. Adjusting it for 0.5Kg/w it jumped to 1530cal what points in the directions you suggested.

I'm still super impressed with MFP, I feel like a short-sighted trying glasses for the 1st time, or when I started using RunKeeper to track exercise. So many years of barcodes, nutritional info, etc .. and now we can use all that info effectively in our benefit.

Impressed also with the community .. thanks again for your time and help!
  • i also get the message even though i'm always over 1200 calories, what gives?
  • The short answer is the one from @SonicKrunch, but you should review if those 1200cal make sense in your case.