Anyone else have a pacemaker?

Options
If so whats your story? Has it effected your weightloss/exercise journey? I got mine when I was 18. My resting heart rate was around 38. I had no idea something was worng just knew I was tired all the time. My friend decided to take my pulse in class one day for no reason and it was like 40 bpm. We told the teacher and she was like thats impossible!!!! Lol!!!! Went to the doctor and he said I had level three heart block. Said I could have dropped dead anytime!!!! Got my pacer asap!!!! I have not had any issues with exercise but have had a few funky feelings in the chest when I push too hard. I am a little worried about my battery change coming up. Wont be able to work out for about a week after the surgery. Guess I will just have to watch my calories more that week. My husband calls me the bionic woman says I have a robot heart! Lol!

Replies

• sweedee1218
    sweedee1218 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    No one else with a pacer? Not suprising! Any other health issues that may be affecting your weightloss journey?
  • docbrox4
    docbrox4 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    this is so weird - I'm currently waiting to hear if I've to get a pacemaker fitted or not and I'm glad I came across this! I'm only 27 and my heart rate sits at 36bpm. Been for a few tests and just waiting to hear what the cardiologist says - they think it might be something wrong with the SA node :S the scary thing is I've been told not to exercise in the meantime, previous to this I worked out 5-6 times a week lifting up to 70kg!!!! Just a bit frightened by what could have happened. Do you find it greatly improved how you were feeling? I can really identify with the feeling tired thing
  • hermann341
    hermann341 Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    I do not, but I was running with a young guy (28?) at the Monumental Marathon in Indianapolis this past weekend who had a pacemaker. He was setting the 3:40 pace for the race and his best time was (IIRC) 3:22. He talked about having to stay away from high powered electrical devices like stoves and older microwave ovens.
  • sweedee1218
    Options
    docbrox44 wrote: »
    this is so weird - I'm currently waiting to hear if I've to get a pacemaker fitted or not and I'm glad I came across this! I'm only 27 and my heart rate sits at 36bpm. Been for a few tests and just waiting to hear what the cardiologist says - they think it might be something wrong with the SA node :S the scary thing is I've been told not to exercise in the meantime, previous to this I worked out 5-6 times a week lifting up to 70kg!!!! Just a bit frightened by what could have happened. Do you find it greatly improved how you were feeling? I can really identify with the feeling tired thing

I hope everything works out ok! If you do have to get one dont be worried its very quick and I had a lot more energy after I got my pacemaker! I also felt a lot more secure that my heart wasnt going to randomly stop in my sleep. Keep me posted!
  • sweedee1218
    Options
    hermann341 wrote: »
    I do not, but I was running with a young guy (28?) at the Monumental Marathon in Indianapolis this past weekend who had a pacemaker. He was setting the 3:40 pace for the race and his best time was (IIRC) 3:22. He talked about having to stay away from high powered electrical devices like stoves and older microwave ovens.

Yep! Some of the older model pacers are not safe around certain electronics. I have a newer model and was told to stay away from large magnets but that I would have to climb into the microwave for it to hurt me! Lol! Its inspiring to hear about people with pacers completing marathons!! Thanks for the response!!

• docbrox4
    docbrox4 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    dltoler, Thankyou! I was quite worried about the prospect at first but the more I hear and read about it the more I think it'd actually be a great thing to happen! Still haven't head back from cardiology yet, not sure if that's maybe a good sign!?!?
    I'm glad to hear you had more energy after having it fitted, that was something I really wondered about. At the moment I just feel tired all the time, and exercise doesn't really revive me like it used to - just makes me even more fatigued! Do you notice having it in? I mean, do you feel the actual pacemaker at work?
  • sweedee1218
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Most of the time I have no idea its there but some times if I laugh a certain way I can feel a little click maybe two or three times. It does not hurt or anything but I can tell my pacemaker is working. Most of the time I forget its there. When I was thin I could feel it under my skin when I would shower but it didnt bother me. Some people say they can feel it working but they have different conditions than I do so it may depend on what the pacer is doing for each person. There is a facebook group for young people with pacemakers if uou would like to check it out. They are a great group with lots of information and will answer question! Good luck! Hopefully you wont even need one!