Great Dessert = Baked Apple

Options
Chezzie84
Chezzie84 Posts: 873 Member
Top, tail and core 1 apple and place on a square of foil.
In a bowl mix 7g dried apricots, 6g cranberries and 21g raisins with a pinch of cinnamon.
Put the fruit in the hole and sprinkle any excess in the foil (depends on the size of the hole to how much excess you have).
Wrap tinfoil around apple and bake for around 30 minutes on 180 degrees.
Mine was around 90 cals.

Replies

• Momjogger
    Momjogger Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    Yum. Also try cutting up a whole apple and placing in water. Boil until soft. Add 1/4 cup oatmeal, cinnamon, and 1/2 T brown sugar. Like an apple crisp, but lower cal and healthy.
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    Sounds good. You could probably use any dried fruit.

Will definitely make this.
  • Chezzie84
    Options
    Yeah. Any dried fruit would work well.
    Apple crisps sound good too =)
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    No way as nice a baked chocolate brownie though..........
  • icrushit
    icrushit Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    Baked apples are lovely, I love dried cranberries, a little dark brown sugar, and a little butter in mine. So nice, especially in colder weather :smile:

By the way, I think your 90 calories are way off, as there's most likely more than 90 calories just in the dried fruit (nearer to probably 120/ 130 calories for 40g dried fruit), and the apple itself will be between 70- 100 calories depending on the size of the apple (70 calories for a smaller mid-sized apple, 100 for an average one).
  • icrushit
    icrushit Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    Oh, a good tip for baked apples I've found, is only to partially core the apple. ie use a corer and push it about 3/4's way down (not fully), pull out the corer, and then use a teaspoon to remove most of the core. This way you won't have a hole in the bottom for any of your filling to seep out from :smile:
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    iloseityes wrote: »
    Baked apples are lovely, I love dried cranberries, a little dark brown sugar, and a little butter in mine. So nice, especially in colder weather :smile:

By the way, I think your 90 calories are way off, as there's most likely more than 90 calories just in the dried fruit (nearer to probably 120/ 130 calories for 40g dried fruit), and the apple itself will be between 70- 100 calories depending on the size of the apple (70 calories for a smaller mid-sized apple, 100 for an average one).

I agree, although I've never seen a 100 calories apple. Even the bigger ones I've had were 83 calories or something (using USDA entries, and weighing only what I eat, starting to think we're supposed to weigh the whole thing).
  • Kate7294
    Kate7294 Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    This is the one I've been using though the caramels don't melt that well so been leaving them out. Thinking chopped pecans would be good. Yum
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    I love baked apples, but also agree with a post above that the calories seem too low even for a small apple, unless the whole thing is more than one serving. Just adding up the grams of dried fruit calculates over 100 calories.
  • Chezzie84
    edited October 2014
    Options
    It was 90 calories because I weighed everything out and used the calories from the packets.
    Don't forget the apple is cored so a lot of weight is lost and the dried fruit is minimal.
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    Options
    Yummy. Thanks for sharing
  • MichelleLea122
    MichelleLea122 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    You should definitely recheck that calorie count, because according to my calculations and the weights you gave

17 cals for dried apricots (7g)
    18 cals for dried cranberries (4g)
    63 cals for raisins (21g)

That's 98 cals, not including the apple.
  • Momjogger
    Options
    iloseityes wrote: »

I am so gonna try the apple with a little butter and brown sugar. Maybe with dried cherries. I'm also thinking about the oatmeal with blueberries. Love fall.
  • mbbseb
    mbbseb Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Sounds good, whoever makes this will just have to figure their own cal count.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Chezzie84 wrote: »
    It was 90 calories because I weighed everything out and used the calories from the packets.
    Don't forget the apple is cored so a lot of weight is lost and the dried fruit is minimal.

Your recipe lists 34 g of dried fruit. Carbohydrates have 4 calories per gram. 34 x 4 = 136. Even subracting a few calories for fiber, 90 calories for the whole does not add up.
  • Momjogger
    Options
    The blueberry version was delish! I highly recommend it.