Excuses excuses

Options
IncredibleShrinkingSandy
IncredibleShrinkingSandy Posts: 118 Member
edited October 2014 in Motivation and Support
We are all human and before we started getting serious about losing weight we all made excuses about why we wouldn't do it. So, let's post whatever our lamest excuses were and how we learned that it really was just an excuse.
1. Fast food is quicker than cooking at home. Not true, it still takes an average of about 15-20 minutes to go get something at a drive-thru. Same time that it takes to throw a chicken breast on the stove and some heat up some veggies. I learned this by actually forcing myself to cook at home since I had a pretty much nightly fast food habit before then. You have to fake it before you make it.
So, what are some excuses you have made and overcome?

Replies

• PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    My lamest excuse was thinking that fast food or "junk food" is why" I got fat and blaming things on anything and everything, rather than holding myself accountable.

I had to teach myself that it wasn't any specific type of food or such, but rather the quantity of the food I was eating. I also had to teach myself to be proactive in regards to being aware of what I was eating and learning how to balance it out (calories and then macros/micros).
  • jenschroll
    jenschroll Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    "I can't do it. It's too hard."

Overhauling my lifestyle was hard, but I AM doing it. :)
  • WildOkapi
    Options
    I never made excuses. I knew why I'm overweight and why I was out of shape - laziness and poor diet.
  • bbbDancer
    bbbDancer Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Here's mine: "I inherited a propensity to be over-weight"... right, and with that I also inherited a fondness for chips! I'm guilty of making excuses.... argh!
  • libbydoodle11
    libbydoodle11 Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    My lamest excuse was I don't have the time to go to the gym because I work all the time. Yes, I do have the time... The gym opens at 5am and closes at 10pm. Plus, there is a 24 hour section that you get to use with a special pass key. Duh!
  • 1stplace4health
    1stplace4health Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    It's too hot! It's too cold!

But, I have a treadmill.
  • socalkay
    socalkay Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    Here's mine: How can I exercise when I'm tethered to an oxygen machine and if I'm dying, what does it matter anyway?

I managed to put on nearly 40 lbs in 2 years behind that stinking thinking. Turns out it does matter. Damn...
  • celtic_thistle
    celtic_thistle Posts: 18 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I had pretty bad fatlogic. I told myself my health was good (it was, but I'm in my mid-20s, so it wouldn't have been for long) and that BMI was *kitten* (it isn't; it's a good thumbnail sketch) and that I just couldn't get back down to the weight I was in high school because 190lb was my "set point." ("Set points" are *kitten* too.) Now I'm at the weight I was 6 years ago and almost down to my high school weight.
    72074710.png
  • 1princesswarrior
    1princesswarrior Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    I blamed medication. Not the fact that I was too lazy to get off the couch and was eating large pizzas and a desert every other day and Chipotle in between with a desert.
  • apparations
    apparations Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I liked to tell myself that "this is the weight that my body wants to be at" and use it as an excuse to maintain an unhealthy lifestyle. There was also a long time when I did not pay attention to how my body looked and just did not care. I was "healthy enough". But not really because I didn't exercise, smoked a pack a week and ate EVERYTHING.
  • LIve_Laugh_Love_Strong
    Options
    I liked to tell myself that "this is the weight that my body wants to be at" and use it as an excuse to maintain an unhealthy lifestyle. There was also a long time when I did not pay attention to how my body looked and just did not care. I was "healthy enough". But not really because I didn't exercise, smoked a pack a week and ate EVERYTHING.

Hahaha...this is always my favourite excuse (minus the smoking)!!
  • hortensehildegarde
    hortensehildegarde Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    I didn't have a excuse per se, because I didn't think I was doing anything wrong or feel bad about doing it. My reason was that I was already fat so what'd it matter if I got a little fatter. That and I still felt the way I looked 10 (then 20, 30... 100 lbs ago) so why bother losing weight?!? I already felt good about myself and (emotionally) felt how I did when I was fit and thin.

That all still applies by the way, but I now have new, more important reasons to lose. Namely that no matter how good I may feel about myself, that good feeling doesn't overcome the very real consequences of obesity.
  • MsHarryWinston
    MsHarryWinston Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    I didn't make excuses, I just couldn't be bothered. And then suddenly I was like "*kitten* son! I gotta lose 80 f*cking pounds!?!!" After that I just had no choice but to lose weight.
  • wmcmurray61
    wmcmurray61 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Believe it or not I would actually say that I felt too lousy to exercise. Of course losing weight was the one thing above all others that would make me feel better! And I DO!