Salad dressing ideas?

Options

Replies

• vamaena
    vamaena Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I like mixing together balsamic vinegar, olive oil, dijon mustard, and 100% pure maple syrop. I try to do equal parts but I really just mix it all together and taste. If I find it's missing something I'll add more.

Sometimes I also crush garlic with salt. I'll then add some dried herbs with pepper, a little bit of lemon (or vinegar of somekind) with some oil.
  • avskk
    avskk Posts: 1,789 Member
    Options
    This probably isn't tasty to everyone, but I love pickled beets and I've found that the juices from those make an awesome dressing -- I drizzle it over my salads with a splash of lemon juice and it's fantastic.

For bottled dressings, I like the Litehouse Opa line, particularly the feta-dill. No unrecognizable ingredients, low-calorie, delicious flavor selection.
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    I like kraft fat free italian, and wishbone fat free western dressing alot! I also like using a tablespoon of hummus or salsa as a dressing.
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    the fat free western is super sweet, and complementary to apples raisins and carrots.
  • melbosa
    melbosa Posts: 1
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I love Girard's Chinese Chicken Salad. It has 6g sugar and 120 cal in 2 Tbsp, but a little goes a long way, I usually only use 1 Tbsp. And very natural ingredients!
  • Maryam2014mfp
    Options
    I just use a little extra virgin olive oil mixed with some type of juice (lemon, lime, orange, etc) and some seasonings of your choice. Just play around until you find some seasonings you like. It will vary on what you are eating and your mood and what you have on hand that day. Take care :)
  • starznholes
    starznholes Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    The Bolthouse Farms dressings are delish and low-cal. Litehouse OPA dressings are probably my favorite right now. Both sold in the refrigerated section next to the produce.

Olive Oil/ Lemon juice

Vinegar/A little Olive Oil

Salsa

• sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    I just found out about the Litehouse OPA dressings from MFP a few weeks ago and I'm loving them. So tasty and flavorful and rich and no worries about the ingredients or calories.
  • grantwashere
    grantwashere Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I use Walden Farms Calorie Free - Bleu Cheese Dressing. Get it at WalMart. ZERO calories. Zero fat. Tastes okay.
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    I just like something a little acidic on my salad. squeeze a lemon or lime or if I'm doing an italian salad I'll add a little of the juice from the pepperoncini or olive jar.
  • delainepittman
    delainepittman Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I make honey mustard with 2 tablespoons yellow mustard, 2 tablespoons greek yogurt, 1/2 tablespoon honey, a little black pepper/garlic powder/onion powder. It tastes good on grilled chicken sandwich instead of mayo.
  • woofer00
    woofer00 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I like acid, so I go heavy on apple cider vinegar, red wine vinegar, or balsamic as the base.
    - Add TruLemon/Lime/Orange/LemonPepper/OrangeGinger for a hit of citrus
    - Grind pepper/garlic/onion/chili/mustard seed, celery seed, or horseradish/wasabi powder for heat.
    Sweetener to taste

There's no calories above, but... there's no texture to it, so...

Bind it with oil and/or a dollop of yogurt/greek yogurt/fromage blanc/or whatever other semi-liquid dairy
    Added sesame seeds for bite
  • jocooper43016
    jocooper43016 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Here's another vote for Bolthouse salad dressings!
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    Dressings: Olive oil, vinegar or lemon or lime, spices. Can add mustard or mayo as thickeners. Usually equal parts oil and acid.

Alternatives: Black beans, 3 bean salad, pinto beans, salsa, sour cream mixed with blue cheese, blue cheese only, feta cheese, mozzarella.

Tricks: I like to eat all the flavorful toppings on the salad first with a little lettuce with each piece. Then once I'm left with nothing but bland lettuce it takes way less dressing to dress the salad. You'd be surprised how good those chicken pieces, and crunchy peppers, or nuts or cheeses taste on their own without any dressing at all.
  • pdxwine
    pdxwine Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    This is the one that I use. I always add various herbs in it.

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Balsamic-Vinaigrette-234241
  • Solarized
    Solarized Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    For those of you who like balsamic, try the flavored balsamics on salads or drizzle it over roasted asparagus. I haven't found the need to include any oil unless I am trying to make an emulsion.
  • HopeKasrai
    HopeKasrai Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    My favorites:
    balsamic vinegar or any kind of vinegar
    lemon juice, lime juice
    pico de gallo or any salsa (even corn salsa works as a dressing)
    cottage cheese
    a fried egg... the yolk is delicious as dressing + extra protein

Lots of tasty suggestions here... now I want a salad for lunch!
  • Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    HopeKasrai wrote: »
    Oooh, I wanna try this!

• wldchld09
    wldchld09 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I use 1/2 avocado and lemon juice in the blender with 1 tablespoon of ranch seasoning. I have an intolerance to Vinegar so this works for me.
  • HopeKasrai
    HopeKasrai Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Lourdesong wrote: »
    HopeKasrai wrote: »
    Oooh, I wanna try this!

You will not regret it! I don't know where I discovered that, but it is the best thing! And I think I will have one today! :)