ED Recovery-Ruined my metabolism by restricting and exercising?

Options
Hi,

I recovered from Anorexia 5 months ago on a diet of 2500 kcal for 1 month and then 1200 kcal -1500 kcal for the subsequent months. I was 4 ft 11 inches and 52 lbs, and then I gained to 87 lbs (normal BMI of 18+ for my height). I come from a small-sized Asian family--my mom is 5 ft and 84 lbs and my sister is 5 ft 1 and also 84 lbs so now I am considered "fat".

Problem is, I seem to continue to gain weight at a rate of 2 lbs a week on a diet of 1500 kcal with no exercise. I have to work really really hard to maintain my weight. For the past 3 weeks, I have been doing the following:
1. Eating strictly 1200 kcal a day (my BMR is only 1232 kcal because of my height of 4 ft 11)
2. Running 10-16 km at 10 km/h on alternate days (3 times a week) OR hiking 21km twice a week

And the thing is, I still gained 1-2 lbs in those 3 weeks! ><

I am SUPER FRUSTRATED because I am worried that I will be trapped in an endless cycle of partial starvation and exercise just to maintain a normal weight. As soon as I stop exercising and eat 1500 kcal, I immediately gain 3 lbs in one week (this has happened at least 5 times before during my ED recovery)!! Have I completely ruined my metabolism?

Does anyone know what I should do? I don't want to spend my whole life exercising and eating 1200 kcal.

Replies

• girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    To my understanding, after a period of semi-starvation you may put on some extra weight, but that should normalize over time. Keep making sure you eat enough, your mind is going to keep giving you reasons not to, but focus on your reasons for recovery and keep working with your providers. It will get better in time.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    sounds like normal fluctuations not actually gaining fat.
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    I don't know anything about EDs, but 1-2 lbs in 3 weeks sounds definitely within the normal fluctuation range for a women (1-2 lbs, or even more, PER WEEK is also very normal). I know it's really hard, but I would suggest to try and take the longer term view. Look where you came from! Look where you are now! You have made some pretty phenomenal progress! Maybe when you feel that tide of frustration come at you, sit down and look at what you've achieved already?

• healthylifelou
    Options
    My advice - just go with it.

I am recovered (ish) and it's completely normal to overshoot your healthy weight.

My BMI went up to 22 then settled at around 20. Please don't restrict, your body wants to eat more and know it can trust you again.

Best wishes
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    Can you see a nutritionist? The one I see does have training in dealing with nutrition and weight problems associated with eating disorders. They might be able to help adjust the types of nutrients you take in without cutting down calories or anything.
  • 50sFit
    50sFit Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    To my understanding, after a period of semi-starvation you may put on some extra weight, but that should normalize over time. Keep making sure you eat enough, your mind is going to keep giving you reasons not to, but focus on your reasons for recovery and keep working with your providers. It will get better in time.
    ^^^^^^^^^
    THIS
    Don't let your mind set back your recovery by not allowing your body to heal also.

• MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    Options
    Ummm, my body didn't think I was "recovered" until I had eaten normally for more than a year. That's how long it took my menstrual cycle to normalize. I also had anemia and other malnutrition issues as well as losing my hair, but for me, the gold standard was my body believing that I had enough fat stores and food available have a baby.
    Just keep doing what you are doing and don't think about the number on the scale. Think.about your good health instead and work toward that.