This is not fair as I am disabled

Options
2»

Replies

• maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    Just don't close your diary each day - no message, no more whining that it isn't fair.

There ya go.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    castleann wrote: »
    this review is always the same and I do no need as much as an able-body person needs.

The site uses averages. You are not average. If you don't hit the button when you are finished logging, you won't see the message. Easy peasy.

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    MFP is protecting themselves with the disclaimer. If it bothers you, ignore it.

This. Seriously, it's obvious why they believe they need it and I'd bet there are far more cases where people probably use the site for unhealthy calorie cutting (pro ana stuff, for example) than have a medical reason supported by a doctor for going below 1000. I support their efforts to avoid having the site misused and avoid encouraging people from starving themselves, and think the fact that some number of people who are being advised by their doctors on a VLCD or some other such thing will have to see a message that they know doesn't apply to them seems really not a big thing. Suck it up.
  • girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    Options
    If you are measuring well (using food scale and measuring cups) and logging everything, go ahead and try for 1200 calories/day. You will probably be able to lose weight at that level, and the more you can eat and still lose weight, the better. If you find yourself maintaining there for a few weeks then start to cut down. Most of the calories we burn every day are just to keep our bodies functioning and require no physical activity at all, so you probably burn a lot more than you think.
  • lorib642
    lorib642 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    People who aren't able to exercise for various reasons have been able to lose weight using this app.
  • mikeyrp
    mikeyrp Posts: 1,616 Member
    Options
    In defense of the OP, it can be very difficult to feel positively about yourself and about the challenges of weight loss, and it must be very disheartening at the start of a journey to get going on a tool which tells you that you are doing things wrong which you know are right for you.

@Castleann, this is all about confidence that your diet can work, and that MFP can support you. I 100% believe in both.

You might want to start or join a forum group for people with similar needs to yourself so you can get support from others going through a similar experience.
  • Foamroller
    Foamroller Posts: 1,041 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1058378-oh-noes-i-am-eating-below-my-bmr

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/872212-you-re-probably-eating-more-than-you-think

Edit: Edit in goals to allow for negative adjustment. Ignore the general 1200 estimate, within reasonable limits. Make sure you get enough vitamins and minerals. Ask your doctor. Do what works for YOUR body.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    It's a computer-generated message, not a doctor. Just ignore it.

If you overeat, it doesn't yell at you, lol. You can be as obese as you wanna be and nary a word! :)
  • lorib642
    lorib642 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    mikeyrp wrote: »
    In defense of the OP, it can be very difficult to feel positively about yourself and about the challenges of weight loss, and it must be very disheartening at the start of a journey to get going on a tool which tells you that you are doing things wrong which you know are right for you.

@Castleann, this is all about confidence that your diet can work, and that MFP can support you. I 100% believe in both.

You might want to start or join a forum group for people with similar needs to yourself so you can get support from others going through a similar experience.
    ^^^^^This

Thanks. If I could edit out my post I would. I clearly didn't understand.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    Also, there are other calorie logging tools out there. Most don't have a message at all, or you acknowledge it one time then it goes away forever.

I never see this mentioned here but just so people know-- There are also excellent calorie counting apps that you can purchase for use offline. I'm sure those are highly customizable and have no annoying messages and of course no ads.
  • 13bbird13
    13bbird13 Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    I got tired of seeing that message too, so I fake MFP out... on days when I have exercise calories earned, I immediately add them as a "snack". My current target is between 1,000 and 1,100 and yes, sometimes I do come in a bit under 1,000... but not much. I don't like being "rewarded" for all my hard work that day with a bunch of screaming red letters... chances are, the next day I'll go a bit over and everything will even itself out. I'm a sedentary middle-aged female with only about 15 pounds to lose, so I'm not starving myself no matter what it thinks.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    Dude just ignore it. I get the same message some days. Nevertheless I am only losing at the rate of a pound every 2 weeks on average, so whatever, I am obviously not actually starving. Go by how many calories you actually burn. I do wish we could turn off that message, and other doofy and un-useful things, but no web site is perfect.
  • yc4king
    yc4king Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Fair is where you go to laugh and play, not something that happens day to day...
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    It's a computer-generated message, not a doctor. Just ignore it.

If you overeat, it doesn't yell at you, lol. You can be as obese as you wanna be and nary a word! :)

I don't know, I think in that case "in 5 weeks you will be ___" (with ___ being 10 lbs heavier) would seem like at least admonishing you, and it will do that.

Heck, I'm doing TDEE method and not logging my exercise, and even its claims that I will lose some tiny amount of weight in 5 weeks that I know is wrong (since I exercise) would feel kind of discouraging if I paid attention to this and didn't keep in mind that I am doing something different. But, of course, I do keep that in mind and ignore the incorrect message generated by a program.

• deluxmary2000
    deluxmary2000 Posts: 981 Member
    Options
    Wow - how annoying. You should probably ask for your money back.