I'm genuinely hungry for 3000ish calories/day?

Options
I'm 20, female, 5'1 and currently 127 (UGH) pounds.
I eat healthy foods, mostly fruits, vegetables, lean meats, and occasionally a GMO free oat based bread. However, I seem to be genuinely hungry--as in, I get hunger pains, I get lightheaded, I shake--for well over 2000 calories. It's not emotional eating, I really don't want to eat more but I have these caustic hunger pains if I eat 'only' 2000.
I keep on stuffing my face because my body demands it and now I'm borderline overweight. I look terrible. I just want to cry. I don't even want to see anyone. Why does my body scream for so much food? Is it because I'm young? Am I 'naturally curvy'? This is awful.

Replies

• eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    It is because you keep on thinking about food. You dont need this at all. Just try it.
  • Local_Atlantis
    Local_Atlantis Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Have you tried drinking a large glass of water when you get these pains? You may be mistaking the signals of hunger for signals of thirst. Try drinking water, waiting for a while, and if you're still hungry, eat. You need to listen to your body.
    Or you could try chewing minty gum. It will give you the illusion of eating, and curb your hunger, because nobody likes eating straight after you've cleaned your teeth. The mint flavour ruins most foods!
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    open your diary
  • xtxtxtx
    xtxtxtx Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    @lisajo That could definitely be part of it. I really need to drink more water. I know this for a fact.
  • xtxtxtx
    Options
    @eldamiano Yeah, that's a huge part of it, ugh.
  • Local_Atlantis
    Local_Atlantis Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    That's a starting point for you then, Make sure you drink at least 8 glasses a day. Make yourself a water chart, or use the water tracker on MFP. A lot of people, myself included, forget this part of their diaries. Do something to keep you focussed on your water intake. And chew gum! :smiley: Good luck.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    open your diary
  • zeal26
    zeal26 Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    I find that drinking water constantly helps as well as upping my protein. And having low calorie things on hand that I can snack on without any real damage (like blueberries).
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    I'm not one to recommend seeing doctors much but if you generally have physical symptoms like that if you eat a healthy diet and don't go over 2000, that might be something to ask about.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Well you're in a normal weight range and you're diary is closed.
  • GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    You think it could be a blood sugar issue?
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    You're at a healthy weight... Your BMI looks good. Perhaps the food you're eating lacks nutritional value that your body is craving? As long as you're not gaining weight at 2000+ calories I don't see an issue there. Are you exercising? Maybe you're burning a lot of what you're taking in.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I'm guessing you're not eating enough fat.
  • xtxtxtx
    Options
    I'm hardly in a healthy weight range, I'm 5 lbs from overweight. :(@francl27 that's a great point. I'm probably not. @digginDeep It does though, for organ function etc. However, it shouldn't be 3000+ at my height, probably.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    xtxtxtx wrote: »
    I'm hardly in a healthy weight range, I'm 5 lbs from overweight. :(@francl27 that's a great point. I'm probably not. @digginDeep It does though, for organ function etc. However, it shouldn't be 3000+ at my height, probably.

If you're not overweight, you're in a healthy weight range.

Why would a body crave 3000 calories for organ function? If anything, all that excess intake overtaxes organs.

• Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Nobody can diagnose you online. Please see your doctor.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    xtxtxtx wrote: »

If you're not overweight, you're in a healthy weight range.

This +1.
    You wont open your diary so we have no idea what you are eating.
    Go and see a doctor if drinking more water doesnt solve it or go and lift some weights.
  • FaylinaMeir
    FaylinaMeir Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    seems very strange to me. My advice is drink a glass of ice water when you get hungry, your stomach might be sending mixed signals to your brain. Studies show if people drink cold water before they go to get food (like driving or something) usually they're not hungry 10-15 minutes later and just thirsty.

Going along with other people, you might be not getting enough fat or certain vitamins/minerals and your body is craving so it can get fed.

My advice, get a complete blood panel and a test for vitamins/minerals. This obviously requires going to a doctor. It's not normal to want to eat that much or NEED to. Part of me also thinks it might be emotional eating, anxiety can cause shakes and all that you talked about. I can personally attest to this :(
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    Well you're in a normal weight range and you're diary is closed.
    this.

although if the issue is with overeating, based on the description I could only guess that it's due to too many carbs and not enough protein/fat to keep you full. Hence wanting to stuff your face. Otherwise, you are not borderline overweight for your height, and should open your diary if you want solid advice.

And your BMI is normal/average, if anyone even still bothers to care about those results (i don't)
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Considering the comments, then me neither.