Recurring back injury/Pilates

Options
It has been suggested to me that I should try Pilates for a lower back injury. Anybody strengthened their lumbar region using this?

Replies

• MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    I have not done that, so have no idea regarding Pilates, but wouldn't surprise me if it did help.

One thing that helped me with my lower back pains/issues, was starting to do deadlifts.
    One of the big reasons I continue doing them now is that my lower back has been doing great....which is very nice.
  • moya_bleh
    moya_bleh Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    I've always done deadlifts, but recently I've had to switch to rack pulls because of my injury.
  • amgerbin
    amgerbin Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Yoga and Pilates both will help. I also started them after hurting my back. I don't do them on the same day but try to alternate to get the benefits from both.
  • jbee27
    jbee27 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I've never had diagnosed back problems, but sitting/hunching for 10+ hours a day throughout grad school and now work meant I was always sore/stiff/hurting.

Pilates and yoga have helped a lot with this, I feel my posture naturally improving (meaning I don't have to remind myself to sit straighter), and I think my core is becoming stronger, and so my back isn't "carrying the load" as much.
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    sorry to hear man. :(
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,662 Member
    Options
    all i can really say is that back injuries, more so then other injuries in my experience, benefit from being worked. like a week or two tops of babying it, then get back to exercise... thats for muscle issues, if its a slipped disc or something then thats different.

what was the injury?
  • glasshalffull713
    glasshalffull713 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Yoga and pilates are both really core heavy, which is why they may help with back pain. Those muscles work together. However be careful to ease into it and not over do it at first because I have thrown out my back by being to aggressive with abs/core!
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    I've done deadlifts for my back injuries.

I've also done some yoga to help limber it up.
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,662 Member
    Options
    my worst lower back injury was an overuse injury in brought on by 1 hr + on the eliptical every day (most are suprised the eliptical would do it). what finally made it better was using the muscles a lot... but in varried ways, not on the eliptical where i was locked into a plane of motion.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    naw, I totally believe it. Worst my back has ever hurt from a machine was on one of those stupid elipticals. Even worse, it makes you look like a tool when you are using them too.

Insult and injury. >_<
  • moya_bleh
    moya_bleh Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    all i can really say is that back injuries, more so then other injuries in my experience, benefit from being worked. like a week or two tops of babying it, then get back to exercise... thats for muscle issues, if its a slipped disc or something then thats different.

what was the injury?

Bulging L5-S1 disc. Right where the spine joins the pelvis. Yowch!!

• megstoo
    megstoo Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I would talk to your doctor before doing anything. I had 2 disc herniations at L4L5 S1S2 and for me anything with yoga or pilates was a no go. I ended up under the knife. Are you doing any rehab for the bulging disc?
  • icrushit
    icrushit Posts: 773 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Helped me, but only after already down the surgery, and post-surgery physio route. Both my surgeon and and my physio both could not speak highly enough about pilates for my long term back health, but obviously make sure you don't need more urgent medical attention first.

I will say that when I did go to pilates, one of the guys there knew the instructor, and had been in a bad way with his back, but after chatting with her, she felt with enough time, she would be able to help prevent him having to go down the medical route. He took her advice, and has been quite happy with the progress he's made. I think with many attending pilates classes for non-lifestyle reasons, you'll probably find more than a few with similar stories, who have turned to pilates as an avenue to avoid surgery by all means.

If you are pondering this too, and seeing if pilates can resolve your problems, I would make sure you find an experienced instructor. The instructor I found locally was great, and was an ex-fitness coach who had suffered a very bad back injury from a car accident, which made her turn to pilates, eventually becoming an instructor. I would have a lot more faith in someone like this, at least when it comes to back injuries, over another instructor who may not be so well versed in the injury-treatment side of pilates.

Good luck with everything, and hope you get the problem resolved, whichever way you go :smile:
  • successgal1
    successgal1 Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    It certainly helps me. Start slow for as others said you can get over zealous. Another core exercise for me that surprised me was my beach style bike that has a foot forward design. It keeps me fully upright when pedaling and all those leg lifts work my core. The down push works my back.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    I have a different kind of back injury, torn ligaments in the lumbar area, so maybe not apples-apples...I have found that anything which strengthens my core is infinitely helpful in the long run, however in the short term I have to be very careful not to overdo it. Standing core work is the best for me personally, maybe because I can constantly adjust posture? Honestly I'm not sure why exactly...

I agree with iloseityes that you should take the time to find an instructor who will take good care of you, that can certainly make all the difference.

And I also do love deadlifts, but I suspect that's from the great hamstring stretch I get with them. Stretch your hamstrings, glutes and hips a lot, that should feel nice for you.
  • successgal1
    successgal1 Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    You know I just had to go look up what a deadlift was. That would TOTALLY pull my back out, and kill my knees. I'd have to continue to do a ton of pilates and lose at least 20 more pounds before I'd even consider attempting a deadlift.