Gaining weight, not losing, totally confused.

Options
Im Kristin. 23 years old. 4'11 and my start weight was 184. I do the bikini body mommy challenge everyday. 3 days strength training 8-20 mins long, cardio/ HITT 20-40 mins long and a rest day. I use to eat 2000+ calories. Drink most of my calorie intake and lay on the couch all day. I thought my weight would just come off fast. Im starting week 3 today with my strength training. I went from 184 to 183 to 184. Then this morning I was up 185. I dont understand why im not losing weight. Im eating 1500-1800 calories a day and working out. No pop inless I have calories left over every once in a while. I dont know what im doing wrong,

Replies

• fitcrt
    fitcrt Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Did MFP set you to eat 1500-1800?
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    You might still be eating too many calories per day. Eat a little less, work out a little more, and avoid soda as much as possible/drink more water!
  • resispa
    resispa Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm a male, 26, 5'10, around 204. I do weight training 4 days per week, 40 mins cardio 6 days per week and MFP has me at 1860 on a cut.
  • kristinhull1
    kristinhull1 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    MFP says 1200. Id starve. So I started using livestrong. It gave me a more reasonable goal 1700. When im use to eating 2500 cals a day and go down to 1700 im still hungry letteralone 1200. All I drink is water. Except once or twice a week.
  • funchords
    funchords Posts: 413 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Just did your calculation. Your body needs 1500-1800 to maintain weight at your couch-potato activity level.

What are you doing wrong? Everything. Seriously, start over. Don't quit, but start over.

Let's take a longer term view. It's 5 years later. You have a normally weighted body now, having lost it all years ago on Super Diet or something. Now, what are you eating every day? What are you doing every day? Are you eating real food? Are you having fun, being active and walking or maybe a jog through a nice park?

Start living like that, entering those foods and those activities into MyFitnessPal. Set your calorie goal to 1200, but don't try to hit it for a while -- just change your life so that you're eating real food and doing real activities that move your body. Start slow, adding only a few changes every so often. Gradually transforming and logging.

What you'll see in the MFP log are opportunities to change a higher-calorie food or a bigger portion into a better food or smaller portion. You'll see a chance to change a snack into one that is lower calorie and higher in nutrition. You'll see that soda can be swapped with diet soda, or water, or tea with lemon. But you can't do all these things at once.

A life like that isn't bought in a shake, or in a powder. It's real food and really fun and active. You can make steps toward being that person.

Do this, and you'll start to lose a pound every 1.5 weeks based on my calculations. It's slow, but you're shorter and it's what's doable.
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    You are not eating at a calorie deficit to lose weight, contrary to your beliefs. There is no way you would be able to do so much exercise on top of eating within calorie goal and not lose.
  • kristinhull1
    Options
    I am eating what I want when I want just not going over 1500-1800 cals. I workout 6 times a week. And only drink water now
  • kristinhull1
    Options
    Idkwhat that means.
  • eldamiano
    Options
    Sorry to sound blunt, but you cant be. You would lose weight otherwise. You are clearly underestimating intake/overestimating outgoing calories.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    OP: Can you open your diary? It would help the community see what exactly you're doing. Also, how long have you been doing this? Seeing your weight fluctuate from 183-185 over the course of a few days is meaningless. Body weight fluctuates. Day-to-day fluctuations are just noise. Real weight loss (and gain) is measured over the course of several weeks.

If all else is constant and you're not losing weight, then you have found your maintenance calories. You need to create a deficit to lose weight. You can do this by eating less, although exercise can help you eat move. You are quite short, which means that your calorie needs are going to be lower. Since you are already hungry, I suggest you open your diary so that we can see whether you can make different food choices to increase satiety. High volume veggies, lean proteins, and whole grains (like grilled chicken with broccoli and a bran roll) will leave you full much longer than high fat/sugar food.

• kristinhull1
    Options
    Ive been doing this for 21 days. I eat what I want. Just stay under the calories my LIVESTRONG gives me. idk what a calorie deficit is or how to find out what it needs to be.
  • kristinhull1
    Options
    So instead of 1600 cals a day eat less.
  • eldamiano
    Options
    If you have put in to MFP that you want to lose 1/2lb per week for example, then stay under the number of calories suggested. At the moment, you arent doing this.
  • kristinhull1
    Options
    So I should eat 1200 cals a day even with working out, Dont eat cals back that I burn?
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    This has been said, but open your food diary. Are you logging and weighing all your food acurately? Or are you "guesstimating"? You have to be precise in the beginning. Start over. Know exactly how many calories you can eat a day before exercise. It takes work and patience in the beginning, but after a few weeks it gets easier. You can't halfway do this. You have to commit to get results. Wishing you the best. :)
  • kristinhull1
    Options
    Thank you =)
  • NewMeowLean
    Options
    There's a middle way between 1800 and 1200! You are short so 1800 kcal sounds like a lot. (I am 5'5 and my maintenance calories are 1760!). So you could eat 1500 for example and eat foods that are filling (and not calorie-dense).
  • kristinhull1
    Options
    I set my activity level on my app for LIVESTRONG to Sedentary. Is that would I should mark my activity as. Even tho I work out 6 days a week 8-45 mins. I still relax alot. It says I should eat 1400.