Gym vs. Working out at home

Options

Replies

• Rmntrose
    Rmntrose Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    When I was getting prepared to join the Navy, my recruiter gave me a routine to do at home ,one or two times a day. It took about 30 minutes and it worked. He also had me run a mile and a half every other day. So during that time (two months) I lost 16 pounds by eating what he told me to eat and doing those routines. Now I have a gym membership because my son also goes to a class there so while I'm waiting I work out. So there really is a way either way. You just do what is best for you.
  • Rmntrose
    Rmntrose Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    PokeyBug wrote: »
    I've done both, and, while I prefer the gym, I work out at home by necessity. We sold my car and dropped my gym membership to save money when I chose to become a SAHM, so I don't have much of a choice. It took me a little time to get everything straight with working out, homeschooling, and all the additional housework from having 2 active kids in the house all day long. When I finally decided to schedule ALL my time, including workouts at 3:30 pm, things just kind of clicked in place.

When I was homeschooling my kids, my work out time became gym class for all lol
  • MsHarryWinston
    MsHarryWinston Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    I work out at home. I would love to go back to kickboxing at the dedicated women's only kickboxing place but it's such a pain in my *ss to get there and back on the bus!
  • teagirlmedium
    teagirlmedium Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    I work out at home because of how much gym's cost. There are a lot of options machine wise at the gym, but I can do the free weight exercises at home for a lot less money. I can get on base with my dad if I want to go to the gym. If you want to work out, but have a hard time motivating yourself to work out at home then you should probably get a gym membership.
  • jbee27
    jbee27 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Gym (or outside). I live in a small apartment, so I don't have a lot of space, and I try to keep my noise levels down to be a courteous neighbor.

• dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    Do you belong to a gym or have your own fitness routine you do at home?

I've done it all and trying to figure out if I should join a gym again (as the weather is getting colder and it's going to be more difficult to workout outside). I have DVDs, weights, bands, etc at my house but it's difficult at times to motivate myself to work out at. Just wanted to see what other people do.
    I work out at the gym, it would be cost prohibitive for me to work out my way at home. The barbell alone is as expensive as my year's dues at the gym. The plates I need, another couple years. The deadlift trap bar and platform, another year. Squat rack, another year and a half or so. The pool 25 yard pool would probably be another 30 years. Then we're talking the rest of the equipment, the dumbbells, medicine balls, bands, pads, etc.

So, instead I go to the gym, use what I want and need, and I'm good to go. I also don't need to maintain anything.
  • NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    Gym. I swim. No pool at home.
  • jrline
    jrline Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    at home and jogging the roads around my house works best for me

29509743.png
  • SKME2013
    SKME2013 Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    I use to belong to a gym but now prefer to work out from home. No driving times, no waiting and distractions. I have an elliptical, spin bike, weights (dumbbells), elastic bands, gym balls...more than enough. There are great exercise videos online that keep me busy.
    Stef.
  • amcook4
    amcook4 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    I do both, but mostly gym workouts. I get a lot more out of my gym sessions, not just the equipment, but the energy from others being there. Also I tend to get lazy, but I'm good with schedules. So if I go to the gym, I'm there and I can dedicate my time to myself. If I'm at home, I tend to just sort of give up and start cleaning, or basically anything but what I should be doing. Also I swim a couple times a week, and I don't have a pool, so that can only be done at the gym!

As for when I stay at home, I'll focus more on body weights too, I like them because I can do them anywhere, say next month when I'm out of state for 5 days over Thanksgiving, I can still do strength training, without a gym. That is great knowledge to have. I also have an indoor bike, (bought brand new at the thrift store for $35!) that bike has been great to have on the really crappy weather days, I can get decent steady cardio workout without having to go outside. I used to do workout classes like Zumba on my wii/YouTube, but I'm not as into that anymore.

Both have merits, and if finances change and I have to give up my gym membership, I can still survive, but until then, it is worth every penny for me! However, it is nice to have the alternative on those days I want something different.
  • pknjhh
    pknjhh Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I belong to 2 gyms. Golds and anytime fitness. Was a member at the YMCA too but only went there for the pool. Anytime is closer to me but Golds was the gym I started in before buying my house. I have a lot of buddies there. Seeing other guys your friends with push themselves helps motivate you so much more the a DVD can do. Plus to get the equipment I used at home would cost an easy 30k. Good equipment is not cheap. I looked in to buying different stuff. The high quality treadmills like I use with all the bells and whistles are about 8k alone. Hammer strength benches for inclines can be almost 1000 without weights or bars. Now add in cables, pullup bar, squat rack, dumbbells up to 150lbs and your probably pushing 25k with iron grip dumbbells 20-150lb in 5lb increments up to 100 then 10lb increments. The motivation from the energy in the place is what I really love. Way too much money to invest when I pay 52.99 a month for both places.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Gym, I need away time from my kids/house.
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    I workout at home in my basement. I hate people so I'm much happier there.
  • woofer00
    woofer00 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Both. Gym for variety of equipment and the environment, running and bodyweight exercises at home.
  • juliemouse83
    juliemouse83 Posts: 6,663 Member
    Options
    I don't like to share my toys (which is weird, because I usually play well with others), so I invested in a rack, bar, bench and plates to supplement the elliptical and stationary bike I already had. It's worked out beautifully. No waiting, just a short walk out the back door and I'm there.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    I have a great deal on my gym membership BUT I work out at home pretty much exclusively. I agree that it's more bang for the buck at the gym (especially since all I have are dumbbells at home), but since I've been working out at the crack of dawn I just love not having to do my hair or put on a shirt.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    50sFit wrote: »
    Do you belong to a gym or have your own fitness routine you do at home?

I do both and see value in each.
    HOME WORKOUT
    30brlud6jlqo.jpg
    GYM WORKOUT
    viyvc1t3htwd.png

is that you in those pictures? Ouch my neck hurts just from looking at your head position

• singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    Gym person
  • GordieLaChance
    Options
    I don't like the idea of putting on clothes just to cover them in sweat. For that reason, I workout at home.
  • farfromthetree
    farfromthetree Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    I don't push myself at home. I have found what works for me is not just "the gym" but going to classes where I see the same people. I get my motivation and energy from them. Nothing else ever worked for me.