Running question: Does form and technique really matter?

Options
2»

Replies

• dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    Go out and run, then deal with the details after you can actually run.

Also, might want to rethink that heel strike eventually. It was definitely unkind to me.
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    Options
    For the most part, run how you are comfortable. The only thing I would watch out for is overstriding.

And I wouldn't worry too much about your foot strike.
    http://www.runnersworld.com/injury-prevention-recovery/large-us-army-study-foot-strike-doesnt-affect-injury-rate
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,661 Member
    Options
    missed the part about feet higher then the knees. I've never heard that before (also not a runner) but if it applies to anything its flat out sprinting, like 100m or less. Not even a middle distance runner would run like that
  • TAsunder
    TAsunder Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about the midfoot vs heel thing as much as making sure that if you are heel striking that your heel is landing mostly underneath your body and not in front. That will make a difference for sure. I think a lot of the issues with heel strikers is that they hit the ground with their heel in front of their body.
  • handyrunner
    handyrunner Posts: 32,662 Member
    Options
    yea agreeing with what everyone is saying...dont focus so much on the foot strike if its working for you...however dont overstride...keep your head up and shoulders straight..dont cross your chest with your arms..all these will help with your efficiency.
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    Options
    yea agreeing with what everyone is saying...dont focus so much on the foot strike if its working for you...however dont overstride...keep your head up and shoulders straight..dont cross your chest with your arms..all these will help with your efficiency.
    This for sure. Takes practice but makes a big difference.

• Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options
    If you're getting into competitive sprinting then it definitely matters as you can drop time with better form. Does it matter for long-distance I couldn't say for sure as I haven't studied distance running much but it might to some degree. Something like bringing your foot up to your waist sounds more like a running drill to focus on form and striking your foot correctly. I would suggest keeping your arms at a 90-degree angle as you're running and go back and forth. Find your stride and practice maintaining that same stride as you run so it's consistent.
  • Carrieendar
    Carrieendar Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    Proud heel striker here; I would concentrate more on upper body form and go with "not broke, don't fix it" principle for the feet. If you are running comfy and all is well in the lower limbs, concentrate on your arms if you really want to fix some aspect of form. Don't cross over the chest, don't let them hang at your sides or below the waist, don't swing up by your ears.
  • 365andstillalive
    365andstillalive Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    Form is most important for distance or competitive runners. If you're just looking to ramp up your exercise regimen, it's not the be all end all. Proper form does however help protect you from injury, just like having the right shoe does.

You'll know if you're running wrong. You'll be in pain in a place you shouldn't (inside of the hip for me) or you'll roll your ankle etc.

Your form will improve to a degree over time; your body really does want to move in the most effective and efficient way possible. If you have problems, trouble shoot. I underpronate, which causes the pain in my hip, so if I start to feel that early in a run, I will literally spend my run focusing on correcting how my foot is going through the motion and keeping my weight to the middle of it. I know there's shoes I could buy to help me do that, but since I'm broke, I'll just use the mental focus for now.
  • Curtruns
    Curtruns Posts: 510 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options