"trigger" foods

Options
2»

Replies

• jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    SideSteel wrote: »
    In the context you're describing I don't have any trigger foods. Perhaps people with binge eating disorders might.

That being said I do think MANY people have issues moderating their consumption of certain hyper-palatable foods. The way you're positioning your post this wouldn't be a "trigger" food, but I think most people would consider them "trigger" foods as far as they are concerned.
    Hyperpalatable is an excellent way of stating that.
    Love it.

Is that fancy talk for "exceedingly delicious"?
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    jacksonpt wrote: »
    In the context you're describing I don't have any trigger foods. Perhaps people with binge eating disorders might.

That being said I do think MANY people have issues moderating their consumption of certain hyper-palatable foods. The way you're positioning your post this wouldn't be a "trigger" food, but I think most people would consider them "trigger" foods as far as they are concerned.
    Love it.

Yeah basically. I blame Guyenet.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    jacksonpt wrote: »

Love it.

Yeah basically. I blame Guyenet.

I love it!
  • GoingSlightlyMad
    GoingSlightlyMad Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    mdboss10 wrote: »
    Sugar and refined, white flour. They are incredibly addictive and I can't stop once I get on a sugar/flour binge. And worse, they cause my blood sugar to crash a few hours later and make me crave more to bring my levels back up. its a vicious cycle.

After lots of soul searching and being honest with myself about my eating habits. It became glaring obvious that calories aren't my problem, its sugar and white flour. Once I cut those out, I've never looked back!

Did you ever eat white flour plain, out of the bag?

I did :flushed:. Never again.
  • Lorleee
    Lorleee Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Sugar. I'll never be someone who keeps a bar of dark chocolate in the fridge and takes a dainty nibble every night for weeks before having to buy a new bar. I'm the person who buys a bag of Oreos and eats the whole thing. So...no cookies in my house!
  • shaumom
    shaumom Posts: 1,003 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    While I think there are definitely a lot of psychological factors that can trigger binge eating, there is a physical component for some people that I would probably call a trigger. Whether others would call it a trigger or not is up for debate, but some foods are known to actually trigger a physical change/desire to eat the food.

Caffeine comes to mind, for example. ;-)

These triggers absolutely can involve allergens - for less severe allergies, where one is not in danger of dying, it actually doesn't matter if it makes you feel terrible or not, you may crave it.

"Don't be surprised if you actually crave the food you're allergic to. When you go on an elimination diet , your body may go through withdrawal symptoms, triggering cravings for the very food that is not good for it... This food-craving paradox is especially true in children who are hypersensitive to sugar . When the blood sugar rises and then falls, children crave the food that will send their blood sugar skyrocketing."
    http://www.allergyaware.org/articles/facts_about_food_allergies.html

Wheat can actually cause withdrawal symptoms and react something like an opioid in some folks, so they crave it badly if they stop eating it. (study mentioning the opiod effect only: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/6099562)

I'm allergic to sugarcane and sugar beets, which are the two main sources for anything that lists sugar as an ingredient. If I have anything with sugar, I will start to crave it horribly, after just a small piece of something with sugar. I will think of eating something sweet all day long - literally all day. I will dream of binging on it every night. If I start eating I find it very, very difficult to stop; nausea will not make me want to stop, disgust for the food will not make me want to stop. The level of intensity feels like fighting off an addiction.

The craving won't cease until I've stopped eating anything with sugar for at least 2 weeks straight, and then the urge to eat it disappears. Not a problem unless I do something stupid like eat at a friend's house thinking, 'just once would be fine. I can won't have the cravings go crazy like this. No problem.'

My mother hasn't had sugar in decades because she has had the exact same experience with it, so it seems to be in the family, at least!