calorie counting away from home?

Options
hello everyone :)
i'm new here, trying to lose 2 pounds a week. this site said i should be eating 1200 calories a day, which is fine when im at home and i can work out how many calories im consuming, but im worried about how this is going to work when i am not here. for example, next week i am going away on a choir trip for a few days and we will be eating out in resturants most of the time.
i am also in my last year at school. at the moment its half term, but when i go back i will be eating school lunches, and obviously i will try to have the healthiest option but i have no way of knowing how many calories are in the food :(
i really want to try and stick to 1200 as closely as possible, has anyone got any suggestions?

Replies

• Lorleee
    Lorleee Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    A lot of restaurants (at least in Canada) have special sections of their menus that show you healthy choices. Even without that, there are things you can do...order a turkey burger instead of a beef burger, get a baked potato or salad or veggies on the side instead of fries. Don't order pop or dessert. Choose a lean protein for your entrée and don't let the kitchen cover it in fatty sauces. Ask for salad dressing on the side. Don't fill up on bread baskets before the meal. If the portion is too big, eat half of it.
    When you're away at school there may be challenges but really, once you have a handle on healthy portions and what they look like, and you are so used to being aware of how many calories foods have, you'll have the knowledge to choose well without knowing exact numbers. But you can always check here and other places online for those numbers, right?