Went through a phase where I was too busy to eat, now I gain weight like crazy.

Options
mandalou15
mandalou15 Posts: 25
edited October 2014 in Getting Started
So a few years back, I would hardly eat. I didn't have an eating disorder I just never found the time to eat. I would eat a sandwich at lunch and sometimes eat dinner. I lost a crazy amount of weight without realizing why. (I was only 14.) I now gain weight really quickly and I don't know what to do. I don't eat bad by any means, I do have pizza every once in a while but I don't eat a lot of junk food and I don't over eat. I exercise twice a week with a personal trainer and do some physical activity at work on a daily basis. Any suggestions on how to lose the weight? I have been tested for thyroid issues but i'm perfectly healthy. I'm 20 now and am just trying to have a healthier lifestyle.

Replies

• Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    There are smartphone apps that help you count calories and stay in a deficit. I can't think of the name of any right now, but if you search I'm sure you'll find some.
  • mandalou15
    Options
    Thank you!! @chief_rocka!
  • ActuarialChef
    ActuarialChef Posts: 1,413 Member
    Options
    There are smartphone apps that help you count calories and stay in a deficit. I can't think of the name of any right now, but if you search I'm sure you'll find some.

I've heard there's a website too...
  • mandalou15
    Options
    I will try that! My only problem is that I can count calories and all of that but nothing seems to help. I've read that my body probably went into starvation mode and now tries to store most anything I eat. I just don't know how to fix that.
  • mandalou15
    Options
    My mom has MS aand I was busy taking care of her and my biological father was in prison so sorry I didn't have time to take care of myself. @BFDeal
  • 1princesswarrior
    1princesswarrior Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    I would suggest trying to have a BodPod assessment or something similar done and seeing a doctor who will work with you to determine your body's set point and help you raise that number. Do some research on Google to learn about set point (basically the weight where the body is happy). Your body could be confused from years of not eating correctly and it will take some time and specialized nutrition to fix that under medical supervision.
  • mandalou15
    Options
    Thank you! I have talked to my doctor and she said to try and eat healthier but I'm going to get a second opinion.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    mandalou15 wrote: »

No problem. If you find one that you like, post the name of it so others can use it as well.

• mandalou15
    Options
    http://ratfactor.com/fat-loss-calculator this one seems like it gives you a lot of info. @chief_rocka
  • stonegirldancing42
    stonegirldancing42 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Good luck to you, Mandalou! 20s are the best ages to get yourself in shape and learn your limits.
  • sarahharas5
    sarahharas5 Posts: 256 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    mandalou15 wrote: »

No problem. If you find one that you like, post the name of it so others can use it as well.

Just sitting here shaking my head...oh goodness.
    Thanks for the chuckle :smile: