Running Alone vs. Running With Friends (or with music)

Options
I've always wanted to be a runner. I've tried it before and always relied on other people to do it with me; this got me no where. So this summer my path crossed with a lovely lady who taught running for the Running Room. She gave me some tips and I started. I didn't ask anyone to run with me, I just did it by myself. After a good 3 months I am still running and getting better. This weekend I will be running my very first 5K to support a local hospice house. I'm nervous but looking forward to the challenge.
Does running with friends make any difference in performance and does running to music help? I run with nothing right now and am getting bored. Also I tend to focus on my breathing which seems to make things worse. I'm thinking music will help......

Replies

• SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    I prefer to run with music, but not when I'm with a friend. I have done training runs with friends, but it's difficult to find someone who will hang back at my easy pace. Most of the guys I know do not know the difference between easy and hard pace, so I run with girls in my club since they tend to be more my speed. And it usually ends in a disaster. Just stick with music lol
  • r_kraft
    r_kraft Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I run by myself with music. Also during a race I have to watch out as it is easy to go out too fast with the crowd. On a 5K this should not be too big an issue, but on longer races you can waste too much energy too soon. Just take it easy and have fun with it and keep going.
  • jrline
    jrline Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    Music definitely helps. I find it fun to run both ways. Although running with someone can be a bit challenging if you don't have similar paces. Have fun with it.

29509743.png
  • handyrunner
    handyrunner Posts: 32,662 Member
    Options
    I like to run by myself..usually without music but sometimes with. when i was first starting, i didnt want to hold anyone up and i wanted suffer on my own lol.

but i have run with a local running group, a couple of times, and i actually enjoyed it.

its challanging running with a group if your training....trying to match what you need to do that day with what the group is doing. However, in my group we had some fast runners and it really pushed me to speed up some, so helped my overall pace.
  • throoper
    throoper Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I definitely run to music or sometimes to my favorite podcasts when I'm alone. If you get bored, it feel sooooo much longer! And great pump-up music can really help performance as well. Good luck, you got this :D
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    I like running to music or audiobooks. It helps me get into the zone.

I'll run with my husband sometimes (no music). Even if we're not chatting that day, I run slower with him. And his normal pace is faster than mine, so its not like he's holding me back. Something just happens and I go slower.
  • dianak6
    dianak6 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I prefer to run alone, sometimes with music and I seem to be able to loose myself when I just listen to my breathing - like a meditative state. I realize running with others would probably help my speed but just feels like pressure to me. Good luck with your 5k, you are running for a good cause. I am a hospice volunteer.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Running with other people can be a great way to push yourself more/harder than you would running alone, assuming they are faster than you.

Personally, I don't find running with music makes any difference in performance, and I'd rather run with my thoughts than with music or other people. For some people, music (or any sort of distraction) can help as it gives them something to focus on rather than how much they hate to run. IMO, if you hate to run that much, find something else to do. But that's just me.
  • sarahharas5
    sarahharas5 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I've tried to run with friends in the past and it hasn't worked out. I'd love to find someone who is available whenever I want and runs at my same pace--or slightly faster to keep me motivated :smile:
    So since those are hard to find, I run alone. I do listen to music though. I think I might go crazy without music.
    Good luck with your 5k! I did my first 5k (by myself) about a month ago and LOVED it. What great energy! I'm already looking for another one to sign up for.
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    Options
    I've always run with music in the past, but recently have found it too much of a distraction so I've started running without.

I prefer to run alone. It's the only time of day I'm by myself and I enjoy that. It's like my therapy :smile:
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Check to see if headphones are permitted during the event, some race directors don't allow them as they may interfere with your ability to hear course marshals, traffic etc.

As I run outside 99% of the time I never have music for the reasons above, being able to hear oncoming traffic, bikes and/or other runners etc is important for your personal safety. I enjoy running just for the sake of running but I see lots of other people using music, if it makes the run more enjoyable and doesn't compromise your safety feel free.

• lbetancourt
    lbetancourt Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    For me something like this:
    Easy runs, 30 min.: Running with a partner cuz it's fun. I can do w/or w/o music

Track workouts: Preferably alone but i like others out there, especially someone faster than me so I can push myself harder & w/music for motivation

15-20 mile early morning runs: Alone in the beginning to focus on what's ahead of me for the next 2-4 hours & w/o music cuz it's damn dark out at 6am & need to be alert. Music last hour or so to ease the boredom & ideally w/partner to push me to through the last 3 miles.

Over the years, i have tried different things to find out what works best for me. but, it can change drastically from run to run. AND, I understand why you always wanted to be runner. runners are pretty bad *kitten*! happy running & good luck!
  • TAsunder
    TAsunder Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't run with music on a 5k race, personally. And I doubt it would do much for your performance since you will be chock full of brain chemicals making you feel magically fast already. With friends, it would help if they are faster than you and be less helpful if they are slower than you. But pace groups can help a lot (if they are running accurately, anyway).
  • mrs_dwr
    mrs_dwr Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I always run alone and without music. It provides some quiet 'me' time. I've found that listening to music actually slows me down because of the music rhythm being slower than my running rhythm or because I want to sing along instead of run, lol. Running in the quiet makes me focus on my breathing, which helps my pace. And then I can hear the sounds around me for safety as someone else said. Also, many races do not permit use of headphones/music, so I figure there's no point in training one way and racing a completely different way.
  • MelAb8709
    MelAb8709 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I never run with music if I'm outdoors. I like focusing on breathing, form, pace, and taking in my surroundings. It's great for clearing my head; music would just get in the way. I generally prefer to run alone (or with my dog, although as she gets older she's slowed down quite a bit) but sometimes running with a partner is a good way to push yourself if they are faster than you. It's very difficult for me to run with a slower paced person.

When I trained for the marathon, I ran my long runs either with a running partner or with someone who was willing to follow me on a bike. For these long runs, it was better for me to have someone than it was to be alone (although I did do a few long ones on my own).
  • veganbettie
    veganbettie Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    I CANNOT run with music. I need to concentrate on my breathing...but I can run with someone....
  • MelanieMamaof5
    MelanieMamaof5 Posts: 75 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    It all depends on what I'm looking for that day.

As a busy mama of 5, sometimes I just want to get out, away from everything, and think, pray, or just plain zone out in the quiet that is solitude. Other times I want and/or need the music to pick me up and motivate. And then again, sometimes I just want someone to talk to. It can slow you down, running with someone else, but socializing AND exercising at the same time is always a plus in my book.

Try to change it up and see what works for you. Don't be afraid to try something different if what you are currently doing does not work anymore. You can always come back to it when you are ready.
  • fruitysky
    fruitysky Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I run with music usually, but every now and then it's nice to pull out the earbuds and enjoy the world around me (I'm usually running trails when I do this.)
    I like to run with friends too. Although I'm perfectly capable of running by myself, and often do, I prefer to run with two of my friends. One of them runs the same pace as I do, the other is MUCH faster; it's a little extra motivation for me to kick in some extra effort when I see her ponytail disappear over the horizon.
  • LoneWolfRunner
    LoneWolfRunner Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    I run alone and without music. I almost exclusively run long trail races... road races are too crowded for me.
  • 50sFit
    50sFit Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    I run alone but with music.
    Anybody I try to run with is either too slow or too fast. I am like Goldilocks. I want my runs to be "just right".