Alcohol

Options
TFG_em
TFG_em Posts: 174 Member
I am not usually a big drinker. I will drink socially. I am currently going through some big changes in my life - I got engaged, I'm about to move to a new city, and start a new job. Also, holidays are coming up, so there are a lot of invites to Halloween parties, etc. For the last several weeks, I've been drinking every weekend because of all the celebrations. I realize this adds A LOT of extra calories. I don't drink beer, so I stick to mixed drinks. I know I could just drink less; everything in moderation. But, if anyone has any tips on how to reduce your calorie intake when having a few drinks, please share!

Maybe you have a drink recipe that may be better than others?

Replies

• KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    you can drink whatever you want,,just go work it off.
  • lorib642
    lorib642 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
  • MysteriousMerlin
    MysteriousMerlin Posts: 2,270 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options

Some drinks have a whopping amount of calories. I wouldn't want to have to work off the calories if I can just make smarter choices to begin with...

There's a line of vodkas I think are called Skinny Girl, or something close to that. Supposed to be low cal.
  • ShellyBell999
    ShellyBell999 Posts: 1,482 Member
    Options

^^^This is how I manage it.
  • spingirl605
    spingirl605 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Red wine is typically a lower calorie drink (that's my beverage of choice). I also like gin and soda with a splash of lime, or vodka cranberry, spiced rum and diet coke. I really like my wine...Pretty much drink it every day.
  • 13bbird13
    13bbird13 Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    I've heard vodka and tonic is a good lower-cal choice, but I do love my wine so I haven't really tried it. Moderation is key... especially if, like me, booze makes you want to eat a bunch of stuff your non-boozed brain would think twice about. The alcohol calories pale in comparison to the huge plates of spaghetti I'm capable of putting away after a couple glasses of wine!
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    I'm confused. Don't you just log it and count the cals like you would anything else? If you're having 300 cals in alcohol tonight, you need to have 300 less cals throughout the day, no?

Am I over simplifying it, or are you overthinking it?
  • RosieWest8
    RosieWest8 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I think that as long as you are working out consistently and not overdoing it every weekend, it should even out over the year. However I have mixed flavored vodka with just plain water before. I didn't do it because I was counting calories -- I did it because I was at a music festival in the summer and it was HOT and we only had 1 camelbak -- so we were trying to off-set our alcohol induced dehydration by using good ole' H2O as our mixer. It tasted fine. You can try out some 'low calorie' or 'skinny' brands of cocktails or whatever but if you're going to drink...then drink what you like. I'm not a big believer in sacrificing enjoyment/flavor for less calories.
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    Options
    I've heard the "Skinny Girl" line is pretty good, though I've never tried it. I prefer either a glass of wine, or the Diet Smirnoff Ice that's 80cals per bottle.
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    jacksonpt wrote: »
    I'm confused. Don't you just log it and count the cals like you would anything else? If you're having 300 cals in alcohol tonight, you need to have 300 less cals throughout the day, no?

Am I over simplifying it, or are you overthinking it?
    Yep.

• lorib642
    lorib642 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    It's just less calorie dense options. Yes you still log it the same
  • astronomicals
    astronomicals Posts: 1,537 Member
    Options
    Any hard liquor (NOT LIQUEUR!) with soda water, but, most people dont like that.

Why not just use diet soda as a mixer?

Dry wine is another good option.
  • StevenH74
    StevenH74 Posts: 129
    Options
    Keep a glass of water at hand, break up the drinks with water intervals and try and stay away from the nibbles also.
  • slider728
    slider728 Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    Here is a website that will basically guide you on how to get the drunkest on the fewest calories: http://getdrunknotfat.com/

As I have started watching my weight, I figure there are two options. If I am looking to get drunk, I go with the hard liquor with a calorie free mixer (usually diet Coke) which will allow me to get more alcohol with fewer calories. Alternatively, I will go for quality over quantity and cut back on my drinking but drink what I like (Zombie Dust beer from 3 Floyds or pretty much anything from 3 Floyds falls in this category). At around 160 calories a beer for ZD, I limit myself to 2 and call it a night.

If you are planning on staying at a party that is going to last awhile, alternate alcohol with water or diet soda. Have a lower calorie mixed drink then have a soda or water. Not only will it help pace your alcohol intake, it'll help prevent a hangover as well. If someone asks you why you are doing that, pull out the staying hydrated/preventing a hangover excuse. Anyone who has drank too much and regretted waking up the next morning will have no issues with that strategy :)
  • fatcity66
    fatcity66 Posts: 1,544 Member
    Options
    Straight bourbon or whiskey over ice, or with water. Or just mix your liquor of choice with diet soda. Regular tonic does have sugar, hence calories. You can also add a flavor enhancer, like Mio to your drink.
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    Yep, by drinking less. Alcohol has more calories per gram/ml than any other substance other than fat.
  • lawyermom81
    lawyermom81 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Prosecco and champagne are relatively low cal. Its about 90 cals a serving.
  • beamer0821
    beamer0821 Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    most of your calories are from the alcohol itself. for me when I'm trying to keep it light i usually have a light beer thats about 90 calories. or i have a vodka/soda water with lime. about the same amount of calories. however depending on the bartender pour so thats why i stick to beer when I'm really watching it.

if its a party i bring my own skinnygirl brand bottle which essentially just less alcohol. i also have been hooked on BonAffair that is low calorie (read less alcohol) sparking wine the whole bottle is 300 calories.
  • pdank311
    pdank311 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Jameson / rocks. Vodka / Monster Rehab (20 cal / can) if you need that cracked out feeling.