More than 50 pounds to lose--how often did you buy new bras?

surruhehlizabeht
surruhehlizabeht Posts: 9 Member
edited October 2014 in Getting Started
Hello,

I have been on my weight loss journey for several years now. After a few years of struggling, I've finally begun treatment for the hormonal issues behind my weight and in a few months I've lost 20 pounds. I have about 80 to go but I'm confident I can do it!

I have an awkward question. I'm a very frugal person and I don't like spending money on clothes that may not fit me next year. I've purposely been buying clothes that can be made to fit and look good with weight fluctuations so I won't spend a ton of money on a new wardrobe every time I lose 10 pounds or so.

However, I definitely notice if my chest is not supported with a bra that fits well. Recently I was sized as a 36N. Wearing a bra that fit properly made such a difference to my upper back and shoulders--I had all of this tension and pain that I honestly had stopped noticing, and my shoulders felt so much better afterwards.

Unfortunately, because the size is uncommon (even in plus size stores, most of which stop at F-cups or G-cups), the bras tend to cost $50-$60 at their cheapest, and sometimes I can find them online at $40. I would not mind investing in a bra at my goal weight, but my concern is that I'm going to spend hundreds of dollars over the next year or so on bras that only fit me for 3-6 months.

What was your experience with this? What would you recommend to someone who is losing a lot of weight, but doesn't want to break the bank on bras?

Replies

• segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Most bras can adjust two or three stops on the band size. They're designed that way because they stretch out over time. But if you're losing weight rapidly, you may be able to extend the life of your bra a little longer by going down a band size, starting off wearing it on its loosest setting, and tightening the hooks as you lose. Instead of following the typical "down a band size / up a cup size" advice, you can just stick to your current cup size, so it will last a little longer.

But yeah, in general, if you want to be in a bra that fits (and it's SO important!) then you're gonna have to buy new ones a lot.

Look on the bright side: Once you reach your goal weight, you'll find it easier to buy bras at cheaper price points in general. Over a lifetime you'll save more money that way. It's an investment into your future.

Meanwhile, just buy one bra and wear it daily, instead of having a selection to alternate. If you hand wash it using specially formulated soap, it will last a while.