Healthy eating on vacation

Hi! I'm going on vacation for just over a month to USA this summer. I've been able to maintain my helathy lifestyle for over a year now, but how do I do when I'm in the US? We're going to travel a lot while there, so I'm going to have to eat at a lot of different restaurants. What are the best options to look at in the menu?

Also, how do I keep the working out part up? I won't have access to any gym and I doubt I'll be able to go out walking or runing either since I know absolutely nothing about where I'll be. Any tips?

Replies

• jamiek917
    jamiek917 Posts: 610 Member
    workouts- u can run (or walk) a lot, no matter where u are. depending on if you are staying at a hotel or with friends, just ask about a safe route or local running trail. if u are in hotels- hotel gym!

food- do research on the menus ahead of time. many chain restaurants will have nutrition facts on their site- u know the drill- limit fried foods, food soaked in sauces, desserts, bread basket, and dont drink your calories too often. everything in moderation. dont drive yourself nuts- its vacation... but dont treat it as a month long "last supper"
  • kelooki
    kelooki Posts: 22
    If you are traveling a lot then, I assume, you'll be staying in hotels? Usually they have fitness centers. Otherwise, throw on your sneakers and just run down the road. Or load up some work out videos on your laptop to use.

As for food, don't be shy about asking for your veggies steamed with no butter/oil, sauces on the side, and just remember that most restaurant desserts really aren't as good as they say they are. But don't deny yourself too much. Go for smaller portions - lunch portions. Loads of restaurants have shooters for desserts, desserts in shot glasses, so you get a sample without all the calories.