My name is Sam and I'm fat (for now!)

Options
Samstan101
Samstan101 Posts: 699 Member
Having lurked and posted a little over the last few weeks I thought I'd introduce myself. I'm 40, female and very fat (5'6" and started at 303lbs)! In my late teens and early 20's I used to be pretty active but then hurt my back and exercising became painful that plus becoming loved up with a fellow foodie and a sedentary desk job meant that I piled on the pounds. Then it became a case of don't exercise cos I'm fat and it hurts so got fatter and stuck in a negative feedback loop. Last year I decided I wanted to get back into kayaking and SUP Boarding so started swimming occasionally and lost a few pounds. This year I decided I'd had enough of being unfit and fat.

9 weeks ago I joined a gym, bought a Fitbit One and signed up here since then I've logged everything I eat, go swimming 2-3 times a week, do cardio twice a week and weights once a week. I'm trying to find a way of eating I can live with permanently (so needs to include some chocolate and alcohol!). Portion control is a big thing for me so I'm weighing and measuring everything. 9 weeks in I've lost 26.5 lbs and dropped over a dress size (am at that awkward nothing quite fits stage LOL). For the first time for many years I'm enjoying exercise and don't feel like I'm on a diet so believe I can continue on this journey I've started to reach and then maintain a normal weight.

I've reached a few small goals such as losing the 1st stone, dropping a trouser size, starting C25K (currently in week 4) and this morning had a great NSV - I had my weights induction 2 weeks ago, doing the seated tri-press I couldn't complete the movement as my hands hit my hips. Last week I tried again and my hands brushed my hips but I could do the move, this morning I had over 0.5" clearance on each side! Other goals yet to come are to complete a 5k, 10k, half marathon and may be even a marathon, and I want to do a triathlon at some point in the future.

So that's enough (some would say more than enough!) about me and my goals! It would be great if anyone who's attempting a similar lifestyle change or has successfully made their change and would like to add me as a friend says hello and sends me an invite, thanks.