Citalopram and weight gain

Options
I have been on citalopram sice Nov 2012 so 6 months for anxiety and panic. I have put in half a stone around my waist and boobs. I feel bloated all the time. Has anyone else put weight on with ads and how did you kick start to lose it.

I am 5 ft 2 so half a stone looks a lot

Replies

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I lost most of my weight while on Citalopram. Do you think the gain is a side effect of the drug, or a side effect / consequence of the condition it's treating ?
  • RoadsterGirlie
    RoadsterGirlie Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    I lost weight while on the drug as well. Maybe you are finding yourself less on edge, and therefore it's easier to eat?

That's why it's important to track your food if you want to lose weight.
  • onwarddownward
    onwarddownward Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    I gained on it. I think it's an individual thing. Everyone is different.
  • DavidC1857
    DavidC1857 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    It can't really make you gain weight unless it somehow changes your metabolism.

A lot of people report weight gain on any number of medications, including SSRI's (like citalopram). But it is more likely caused by an increase in appetite, or a change in mood that is allowing you to eat more. There might be some water weight issues also (the bloating).

Overall though, you should still be able to control your weight while using them. It's still calories in vs out.
  • Catlady87
    Catlady87 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I gained weight whilst I was on it but I don't think the Citalopram caused the weight gain - I wasn't depressed anymore so I started eating again.
    I'm still on Citalopram now and since January my dose went back up to 20mg and its not had any impact on my weight loss.
    It is a potential side effect but I do think it varies from person to person.