I need help to figure out how to diet at college?

Options
I've wanted to lose weight for years. I am a very athletic 18 year old male. I am 5'9 and 180 lbs. I would like to lose at least 60 while maintaining the muscle I currently have (if I couldnt be strong i'd rather be over weight :P). I have determined to finally do it and be at most 160 pounds by the end of the school year. I know that being on a diet is a huge part of losing weight but I have a problem. I live at college and all the "good" food the internet tells you to eat I cant just simply get. I eat at a dining common. So I need help! I need a dieting plan/guide that can give me really clear guide lines on exactly what to eat, but it is accessible in a normal cafeteria.

Thanks so much for any help!

Replies

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Woah, slow down there, you don't need to lose 60 pounds, thats too much. Start weight training asap, as it will help you retain muscle. If you want to lose, eat what you normally do, only at a deficit. There is no "good" or "bad" food.
  • pander101
    pander101 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    I dropped 40 my first year at college. Keep portions under control and when you log calories try and just match up the food as best you can. I had an open cafeteria too. Ate lots of salad and soup. Also, weight train to help reduce the loss of lean muscle mass.
  • allie_00p
    allie_00p Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    This guy is in college, uses flexible dieting (IIFYM) and has tons of videos on what he eats every day, workouts, etc.
    https://www.youtube.com/user/TimThebodeauFitness/videos
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I agree that there are no "good" or "bad" foods; there is just food. It's how much of it you eat that makes a difference in your weight loss. So track everything you eat and stay within your calorie goals. I will say that at 5'9" 120 pounds seems really, really low. My son is a little taller than that and looks good at 160. He's also more on the muscular side, though.

Which brings me to point two: lift weights. Hopefully, your school has a gym. Hit it and hit it hard. You will be much better served in the long run adding muscle than losing fat and muscle, which is what happens when you lose weight without strength training. Muscle increases your metabolism which makes it easier to keep the weight off, too. This time around I added strength training in to my routine. I'm 5'3" and about 10 pounds heavier than I was at my lowest weight a few years ago but I'm the same size I was then. In fact, I tried on some of my "skinny" jeans from the back of the closet this past weekend and they fit! Be sure to use a tape measure to track your progress, rather than just the scale. As in my case, the scale may not move much but you'll shrink.
  • claraoswold
    claraoswold Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    180 for a guy your height is actually not horrid. If it's muscle then that could be nice.

As a gal in college I understand where you are coming from. Pizza is freaking everywhere. But campuses are required to offer some good stuff to eat. They have a market (yes I know it's expensive and has a small selection) that you should be able to use some meal points on.
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    Check with your dining services whether there is nutrition info available, or at least a registered dietician available to students. You may be surprised at what info and help is available (and at no charge--your student fees pay for these services, USE them). I'm a student myself (returning adult), but I still have to navigate the cornucopia of food choices just like you.

Hopefully, your food service has some sort of "Fit Choice" meals (that's what they're called here. For example, there is an entree plus starch every meal that is 400-500 calories with decent macros. I usually get that, and sometimes add salad or veggies and extra chicken (I get it off the salad bar, so I can "eyeball" the portion better).
  • supermodelchic
    supermodelchic Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    You should focus on proper clean eating, build up some muscle, your weight sounds perfect for that height, i have a 13 year old son who is 6'0" and weighs 166 , 60lbs is way to much to want to lose..
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    Ask your dining commons for nutritional information on their foods. If they don't have the info, ask why not, and suggest they provide it. The campus where I teach has that information available. Then use it to make informed choices. I eat steak, pizza, pasta, potatoes, chili, etc. and have lost 60 pounds over the last couple years. It's just a matter of how much I eat.

Some concrete tips: fill a quarter of your plate with protein, a quarter with starches (if you want), and the rest with vegetables. Go easy on condiments and sauces. And resist the urge to go for seconds.

34527787.png
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    You should focus on proper clean eating, build up some muscle, your weight sounds perfect for that height, i have a 13 year old son who is 6'0" and weighs 166 , 60lbs is way to much to want to lose..

Whoa, yeah. I totally misread that. Yeah, OP, if we're reading correctly, you want to weigh 120lbs? That not realistic. You HAVE more than 120lbs of lean mass on you (very, very likely much more than that) already. Why would you destroy that? I think 152lbs is smack dab in the "middle" of the ideal weight range for males your height, just as an example.