Multiple questions, sorry :X (Smith machines, personal trainers, muscle definition)

Options
Soo first question. Is there a website out there where I can just put in my stats or see what the "average" person does? I just wanna know if I'm still weakling status or somewhat strong ish LOL. I started using the machines at my gym a few months ago (smith machines). I was terrified to at first because of all the physical probs I have but my old neurosurgeon approved it so long as I started out small and "listened to my body". I also use free weights but not as often as the machines because I've noticed I have less back spasms afterwards with those so personal preference.

If anyone is curious 'bout my stats I'm 5'8", 330 lbs (down 80 from 410 lbs) and 29 years old. I usually do 5x5 on the machines and it goes like this

Leg press - 85 lbs
Leg extension - 55 lbs
Seated leg curl - 55 lbs
Chest press - 70 lbs
Pull down - 70 lbs
Row/rear delt - 70 lbs
Overhead press - 70 lbs
Arm curl - 55 lbs
Arm extension - 70 lbs
Abdominal / Back extension - 85 lbs
Hip adduction - 80 lbs
Hip abduction - 80 lbs

Looking at the numbers now I view all them as NSV's. Three months ago I couldn't lift 25 lbs without my arms shaking terribly and my lower back aching for days afterward.

Second question. I'm actually seeing a personal trainer on Monday (a week from today). He's gonna be showing me the other machines in the gym and I'm a little nervous 'cuz I'm kinda socially awkward and never go into any situation with people without a game plan. What kind of questions should I be asking him? Also what should I tell him about myself?

Third and last question. I'm significantly overweight. I know I'm gradually getting stronger because I can feel it, and I can somewhat see it in my biceps and definitely feel it in my biceps when I flex and squeeze the muscle there LOL. Buuut... will it ever REALLY show? Even after I lose all this weight (260+ lbs), will the muscle definition even be noticeable under loose skin? If anyone has experience with this lemme know! :)

Thanks in advance guys for any replies.

Replies

• DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    http://www.strstd.com/

This is the best website I've seen. However, you're really not going to see "standards" for machine based/isolation moves because all the machines are different and have different leverages. A barbell that weighs 225 will always be 225lbs, but an arm curl machine at 55lbs can give you a much different degree of difficulty than another similar machine.

You will definitely see some muscle definition once you reach your goal. Look up this fine gentleman: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1103164
  • KameHameHaaaa
    KameHameHaaaa Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    DopeItUp wrote: »
    http://www.strstd.com/

This is the best website I've seen. However, you're really not going to see "standards" for machine based/isolation moves because all the machines are different and have different leverages. A barbell that weighs 225 will always be 225lbs, but an arm curl machine at 55lbs can give you a much different degree of difficulty than another similar machine.

You will definitely see some muscle definition once you reach your goal. Look up this fine gentleman: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1103164

Thanks so much! :)

• Cortelli
    Cortelli Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your successes so far!
    Second question. I'm actually seeing a personal trainer on Monday (a week from today). He's gonna be showing me the other machines in the gym and I'm a little nervous 'cuz I'm kinda socially awkward and never go into any situation with people without a game plan. What kind of questions should I be asking him? Also what should I tell him about myself?

I've never used a trainer and haven't given this a whole lot of thought, so take this for what you paid for it! I'd tell him at least as much as you've told us in the forums about yourself, your past, and your hopes. You're (self-professed) not an expert on the various machines and strength training generally, so maybe focus with him on what your goals are (i.e., get stronger, learn new lifts, get more comfortable with strength training generally, preserve muscle mass while losing fat, paint like Picasso -- whatever your goals might be) -- let him give some advice on what makes sense to help you move forward to those goals.