I need help making a diet at college?

Options
I've wanted to lose weight for years. I am a very athletic 18 year old male. I am 5'9 and 180 lbs. I would like to lose at least 20 while maintaining the muscle I currently have (if I couldnt be strong i'd rather be over weight :P). I have determined to finally do it and be at most 160 pounds by the end of the school year. I know that being on a diet is a huge part of losing weight but I have a problem. I live at college and all the "good" food the internet tells you to eat I cant just simply get. I eat at a dining common. So I need help! I need a dieting plan/guide that can give me really clear guide lines on exactly what to eat, but it is accessible in a normal cafeteria.

Thanks so much for any help!

Replies

• p0ck3t
    p0ck3t Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    When I lived on campus and dining hall food was the only option, for dinner I chose entrees that were lean meats like chicken or fish. For my side, I raided the salad bar. If it didn't seem like enough after I finished, I would have a piece of fruit or a greek yogurt. A generally good rule of thumb is that your plate should be 50% veggies, 25% complex carbs (like brown rice or whole wheat pasta), and 25% protein.

For lunch, once a week, I'd indulge and get a personal pizza or a heaping plate of Mongolian stir-fry. Other than that, I would stick with light meals like sushi, salad bar, or paninis/wraps.

This worked for me, and I lost a bunch of weight even on a crappy meal plan, but since you're considerably taller and probably much more built than I am, maybe up the portion size to two plates.
  • Quasita
    Quasita Posts: 1,530 Member
    Options
    My college food focus was salad bar as well. They almost always had fresh made baked chicken breast on the hot line, and then I'd make a veggie-full salad with a spinach base.

It's actually pretty easy, you just have to have self-control since there are usually more options in a college mess hall than other daily living environments. Utilize the meal schedule to plan your meats and meals, and abide by their nutritional facts. Maybe they will be less accurate than pre-packaged or weighed meals but they will still be required to provide you the nutritional information of the dishes and meals being provided so that you can plan. Make sure to incorporate potassium-rich foods to help offset the typical higher levels of sodium you get from cafeteria food, and stick to your guns no matter how tempting all the options might seem.

My dorm cafeteria was the devil a lot of the time... The food was pretty good and easily enjoyable, and became even moreso as they upgraded the cafeterias on campus. This was an even better justification for sticking to the salad bar for the most part, because it kept me from walking by all the fried, fatty, high calorie foods that might be available.
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    Eat what you normally eat in the commons... Just less of it. You should be fine. Most of the time, in College, the issue becomes the extras more than the on campus dining...

You indicate that you are also athletic -- continue and maybe increase your exercise a bit will help as well.