Anyone else preparing for Diwali?

Options
ViolaLeeBlueberry
ViolaLeeBlueberry Posts: 182 Member
edited October 2014 in Food and Nutrition
Yes, I survived Dussehra while still staying on track ... but I've got a house full of in-laws arriving today for Diwali, bwahaha ... if you know what this post means, you know what I mean!

Anyone else have theories on sticking to fitness plans while surrounded by food-crazed traditional relatives who think "you've gotten fat" is a huge compliment and take "just say no" to mean "ask over and over and then put it on the plate anyway"? I guess not just Diwali (eg Festival of Lights in India/the Hindu world), but all kinds of holidays.

I'm totally cool with splurging for the major meal, but I'll have a house full for ... well, again, if you relate to this post you know that "relatives arriving" means "what, you think they have an actual schedule?" Could be five days, could be 10 days, who knows. Which, again, I'm cool with that ... but it's definitely a challenge!

:smile: :smile: :smile:

Replies

• IvyLuci
    IvyLuci Posts: 117 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I am not familiar with Diwali, but I have those relatives :-D.
    What helps me when we visit is a. lot of water with meals. It makes you feel full so you don't eat too much (well, relatively speaking), and b. I stick to mostly protein-rich foods when possible, and don't eat as much carb-y food. It makes it less likely that I will go back for seconds.
    Try to at least walk around the neighbourhood if no other form of exercise is possible. Or you can try getting up before any of them and do it then.
    Last time we were there I 'went to have a nap' and did some basic squats-situps-planks type things. It only took 20ish minutes but I felt better.
    And happy Diwali :-D
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    eat, drink, be merry, just go work it off. pretty simple actually