how much should i exercise?

hi guys
I am just starting and was wondering how many days a week I should exercise
I like to walk, swim, and do les mills classes at the gym, and I play netball once a week?
how many days do you suggest I exercise to lose weight
currently i am 143lbs, 5'6,
GW 125

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    exercise for fitness, calorie deficit to lose weight.
  • mamadon
    mamadon Posts: 1,422 Member
    ^^^^^
    What she said.
  • bonniejo
    bonniejo Posts: 787 Member
    Find an exercise you like. For me at least, I look forward to my workouts. It took a while to find the right thing for me at this moment, but once I did everything changed
  • exercise for fitness, calorie deficit to lose weight.

+1 (FACT: Only 20% of weight loss is attributed to exercise While 80% is attributed to what is consumed & how much of it)

But exercise does improve your heart health & keep blood glucose in check (Type 2 diabetes prevention).

The American Heart Association recommends "To improve overall cardiovascular health, we suggest at least 150 minutes per week of moderate exercise"

The Mayo Clinic recommends "Aerobic activity. Get at least 150 minutes a week of moderate aerobic activity or 75 minutes a week of vigorous aerobic activity. You also can do a combination of moderate and vigorous activity. The guidelines suggest that you spread out this exercise during the course of a week.
    Strength training. Do strength training exercises at least twice a week. No specific amount of time for each strength training session is included in the guidelines."

But honestly if you are just starting out 150 minutes per week may not be all that realistic for the long run.

I personally was not a fan of exercise or the gym much less exercising at the gym! LOL :# So I started sloooow. I started with once a week for 15 minutes because I figure no matter how busy life gets I can spare 15 minutes. As going to the gym became a routine, I increased frequency & duration - incrementally. The worst thing is jump-in head first & declare 'oh I'm going to workout 5 times a week' then get burnt out by the 3rd week & stop all together.

Also, Bonniejo is also correct, if at all possible find something you like to do. So no matter what physical activity you choose to do, at this point it's much more about just injecting regular physical activities into your life more than anything else.

Best of Luck to you!
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    As has been said, weight loss is going to be more dependent on how you eat. Obviously, exercise is good for you, and helps create a calorifc deficit, but they way you eat is key. Find an exercise schedule of exercise you like that works for you. Include both cardio and resistance training. I work out M-F, three days of lifting, two cardio, typically, but not always.