Remove treats from home or just try to improve my willpower?

Options

Replies

• Rosie_McA
    Rosie_McA Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    lorib642 wrote: »
    I didn't realize how much I snack until the kids started complaining that I eat things before they get a chance to have any. So, now I am ignoring the cheesecake in the refrigerator because eventually my daughter will want some. It would be easier for me if there were no temptations but I don't know how realistic that is. I have a sweet tooth, so I do have fruit in the morning and a fiberone bar at night which helps.

I am not sure I understood your first post. You ate all the food at once so it wouldn't be there later? I probably would have given it away if I didn't want it in the house.

I dread Halloween because we always have some candy left over. My husband brings some into work and the kids dentist will buy back candy so we have a few options to get it out of the house.

The treats built up over a period of time and some were made/bought for when I had visitors but never consumed for whatever reason. They weren't always just for me to eat.

I'm also big into baking and some of the items in my freezer were due to my trying out new recipes. I have not thrown any of the treats away and have just eaten them slowly over many weeks. What I haven't been doing is replacing any of them. Not all of it is junk and I have attempted at least to bake lower calorie stuff e.g. black bean chocolate brownies.
  • Cortneyrenee04
    Cortneyrenee04 Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    I had to keep those things out of the house for a long while. It would drive me crazy knowing they were there and I couldn't eat all of them! Now, I can ignore whatever it is and make it last longer and fit into my calories. It took about a year for me to learn how to say no. Now I can be trusted to buy ice cream and truly have one serving at a time.

Once you can control yourself at home, you can better control yourself "out in the wild."
  • Foamroller
    Foamroller Posts: 1,041 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Willpower for noob phase 1: No snack available.
    Willpower inter phase 2: Introduce portion sized, weighed, kcal calculated snacks. Maybe a type you don't REALLY love.
    Willpower advanced phase 3 and maintenance: Practice portion control with your crack-snack.

Note: Different types of snack may have different trajectories. I can have a dark chocolate in fridge for a year...but gimme my fav bag of korean onion flavor rings and it's gone in 15 mins. It's still a work in progress for me. I agree with above posters that willpower is like muscle.

Hoarding a big stash of stuff is likely not making it easier for you. But it's YOUR choice. Good luck:)
  • helenarriaza
    helenarriaza Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Buy the sugar free gummy bears instead >:)
  • SapiensPisces
    SapiensPisces Posts: 992 Member
    Options
    SideSteel wrote: »
    There are a number of replies suggesting/implying that the OP is "forever" trying to ignore moderation or "forever" eliminating these snacks from her home.

I don't agree with that.

If you lack the willpower to moderate your consumption of certain food items then I think temporarily removing them from your immediate environment is not a bad idea at all.

However, when you find that you're missing these foods from your life, you should consider gradually reintroducing them into your living space in smaller quantities and in a less prevalent manner than you currently have. So for example, less visibility and less overall variety of "junk".

This is solid advice. If you feel you need to temporarily make a cut, then do it and focus on your larger goals.

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    I'm all about making room for treats. I live and eat now, how I will for life and my life includes chocolate!
  • libbydoodle11
    libbydoodle11 Posts: 1,351 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I am much better than I used to be at keeping treats in the house. If my fave treats are in the house I will eat about two servings each day until gone. I haven't quite gotten to the point where I can leave them alone for a couple of days without indulging.

I have a friend that only purchases her fave diet coke when running her errands. Now she only drinks maybe 1 or 2 per day. She said she used to drink about 6 per day when she would stock them in the house.
  • lorib642
    lorib642 Posts: 1,942 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Rosie_TG wrote: »
    I didn't realize how much I snack until the kids started complaining that I eat things before they get a chance to have any. So, now I am ignoring the cheesecake in the refrigerator because eventually my daughter will want some. It would be easier for me if there were no temptations but I don't know how realistic that is. I have a sweet tooth, so I do have fruit in the morning and a fiberone bar at night which helps.

I am not sure I understood your first post. You ate all the food at once so it wouldn't be there later? I probably would have given it away if I didn't want it in the house.

I dread Halloween because we always have some candy left over. My husband brings some into work and the kids dentist will buy back candy so we have a few options to get it out of the house.

The treats built up over a period of time and some were made/bought for when I had visitors but never consumed for whatever reason. They weren't always just for me to eat.

I'm also big into baking and some of the items in my freezer were due to my trying out new recipes. I have not thrown any of the treats away and have just eaten them slowly over many weeks. What I haven't been doing is replacing any of them. Not all of it is junk and I have attempted at least to bake lower calorie stuff e.g. black bean chocolate brownies.

Thank you. I was pretty sure you didn't mean all at once but that was how I read it.

I try to keep some things out of the house. Like ice cream. I love ice cream. Maybe when I have more willpower we can have small containers. I like foamroller's post about stages
  • besaro
    besaro Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    when i quit smoking I kept an almost full cartoon of cigarettes for nearly a year, thinking, if I need one, they are there. Some sort of weird safety net. With foods, hell no. I do have my treats that I manage to indulge on in moderation, but my trigger foods, nope, they are banished from the kingdom.
  • BernadetteChurch
    BernadetteChurch Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    What works for me is just not having these sorts of foods in the house. It's rare that I would go out to specifically buy myself any sort of treat. If it's not easily accessible then I usually won't even think about it.

But sometimes there are treats in the house, for whatever reason, and sometimes I want to enjoy them. So I'm trying to teach myself moderation. That way I get the odd taste of something I enjoy and am less likely to suddenly explode one day and eat everything in sight.

You have to find the way that works best for you.
  • AmigaMaria001
    AmigaMaria001 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I love pastries and salty snacks more than food! For that reason I did a 21 day detox before I started my new lifestyle journey. It helped me to cleanse my body of the junk - it's been 9 months now of not snacking. There are times when I still miss having them, but if the urge gets too strong then I just figure in the calories for a small amount and eat them ONLY with a meal After that small amount then I'm completely satisfied for several weeks. The longer I go without eating them, the less I want them.
    Many times, after dinner if I have a craving (which after dinner was always when I snacked and consumed the most calories) I go brush my teeth to keep the craving down and if that doesn't work then I chew my favorite sugarless gum. I keep a stash of several flavors of sugarless gum to satisfy my sweet tooth.
  • helenarriaza
    helenarriaza Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I love pastries and salty snacks more than food! For that reason I did a 21 day detox before I started my new lifestyle journey. It helped me to cleanse my body of the junk - it's been 9 months now of not snacking. There are times when I still miss having them, but if the urge gets too strong then I just figure in the calories for a small amount and eat them ONLY with a meal After that small amount then I'm completely satisfied for several weeks. The longer I go without eating them, the less I want them.
    Many times, after dinner if I have a craving (which after dinner was always when I snacked and consumed the most calories) I go brush my teeth to keep the craving down and if that doesn't work then I chew my favorite sugarless gum. I keep a stash of several flavors of sugarless gum to satisfy my sweet tooth.

No... whyyyyyy....
  • Nancy33333
    Nancy33333 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I only have 2 snacks that I would overeat if they were in the house: Potato chips and Pepperidge Farms goldfish. I made a rule for myself early on that if I truly wanted potato chips, then I would have to walk about 10 blocks to the store to buy an individual-sized package (and then it does generally form part of my calorie budget for the day.)

I'm not lazy at all, and enjoy walking, but it helps me question how much I really want them. And they can't be bought just because I'm out walking. It needs to be a walk for that specific purpose. I don't have a rule about the goldfish. They're a treat, and I've bought maybe 3 bags in the year that I've doing this. (And I've been successfully maintaining my goal for the past six months, and it helps that I have not introduced these back into the house "just in case."

I disagree with the simple statement of "just learn moderation" and its equivalents. Part of making this a lifestyle is to develop habits that you can use for the rest of your life. Sometimes taking a timeout from "treats" helps you rethink your body's food requirements, and you may break the habit for good, since you've learned how to incorporate it as an infrequent snack, or you've found something that's an overall better alternative. If you go back to eating "all the treats" after you reach goal weight, that is not going to turn out well. And if you just keep tempting yourself by keeping everything in the house, getting to goal weight is likely less possible, unless you already have extreme discipline.

My favorite treat these days (which I never would have predicted) is apple slices that I dip in nonfat yogurt. I read a phrase about "are you hungry enough to eat an apple?" and if so, the likelihood is that you are really hungry, and go eat an apple. That taught me a lot about hunger (which needs to be addressed) vs cravings.

Last night I stood in front of the cupboard, wishing that there were goldfish or chips inside. But the feeling passed when I wasn't interested in going out for a walk at 11 pm.

So that's the strategy that works for me.
  • taivazian
    Options
    i would say if it is not in the house, you wont eat it! if you really want it you will have to go outside to get it!
  • penny0919
    penny0919 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Foamroller wrote: »
    Willpower for noob phase 1: No snack available.
    Willpower inter phase 2: Introduce portion sized, weighed, kcal calculated snacks. Maybe a type you don't REALLY love.
    Willpower advanced phase 3 and maintenance: Practice portion control with your crack-snack.

Note: Different types of snack may have different trajectories. I can have a dark chocolate in fridge for a year...but gimme my fav bag of korean onion flavor rings and it's gone in 15 mins. It's still a work in progress for me. I agree with above posters that willpower is like muscle.

Hoarding a big stash of stuff is likely not making it easier for you. But it's YOUR choice. Good luck:)

This, so much this.
  • Kylie814
    Kylie814 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I'm the same way, I'm a sucker for gummies... I actually just finished a bag of Starburst that I took on vacation with me last night... I'm planning on not giving into buying anymore sweets/gummies..
  • RoseyDgirl
    RoseyDgirl Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    I have chips in my house that I never eat. they've been there for 2 months - and, I keep them in case I go visit friends, and will bring a bag with me. A month ago, I went 'grain-free' and even more reason not to touch them. When I go to my neighbor's house to watch our sunday show (this month - "house of cards") - I'll give her a bag of chips to snack on, and I'll bring myself something healthier. (nuts, trailmix, or something similar).

I have 2 pound cakes I'd bought, pre- grain-free, that are still in my pantry. I told myself that after the 30 day cleanse, I'd have a slice - and, it didn't happen last weekend. So, now that I'm doing a treat, once a week - I may have one slice next weekend... but funny thing is that after a month without these types of desserts - Im not craving it - and thus if it goes much longer - I may give the cakes away, unopened, too.

it is possible to learn control. And, also, for those times when you crave sweets - there are great substitutes (especially if you can cook) - just look for recipes that don't use refined sugar, or bad fats... I found a recipe recently for pumpkin pie (with a walnut crust) - I don't remember all the ingrediants, but I'd focused on ones that had maple syrup or honey instead of sugar.

There are ways to bring healthier treats into your diet.

• Rosie_McA
    Options
    I try to keep some things out of the house. Like ice cream. I love ice cream. Maybe when I have more willpower we can have small containers. I like foamroller's post about stages
    My love of ice cream and my ability to eat it all in one sitting is why I would only keep small amounts of it in the house. At least now with it all gone if I really really want some I have to make an effort to go to the local supermarket and get it (a 15min drive away).

• Mediocrates55
    Mediocrates55 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Buy the sugar free gummy bears instead >:)
    Have you read the Amazon review for those? LMAO

• Rosie_McA
    Options
    Rosie_TG wrote: »
    My love of ice cream and my ability to eat it all in one sitting is why I would only keep small amounts of it in the house. At least now with it all gone if I really really want some I have to make an effort to go to the local supermarket and get it (a 15min drive away).
    I should have said small amounts of ice cream but probably with a few too many different flavours (with pistachio being the clear winner).