not losing anything while breastfeeding please help

Options
Hi. I just delivered a beautuful baby girl on 3/22. - I am 23 yo female. I was 135 B4 becoming pregnant. b4 delivering I was at an end weight of 190. When I came home from the hospital,I was 170. After that I've been hovering around 164-165. I exclusively pumpso I know that I produce 36 oz a day. I would like to lose 1.5lbs per week. I can work out for like 45 min 3x/week(on a mini elliptical at a moderate effort-heart rate of 150) bc I also have a 22 month old to look after. My goal is to atleast make it back to 135 for now but I would ultimately like to make it back to120 which was my weight b4 my first child. Now, my question is what am I doing wrog? Also, should I be eating more than 1800 cals or less? Should I be eating more on the days I work out?I am eating 1800 calories perday and working out 3 days per week. Please advise. I really want to continue breastfeeding until she is 1 but I will stop at 6 months if it keeps going like this. My husband and I have a europe tour planned for the end of this year so I want to be somewhat thin b4 that. TIA!

Replies

• yanniejannie
    yanniejannie Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    As someone who breastfed, let me say this: you have the rest of your life to lose this weight, do not stop breastfeeding for your own vanity; do what is right for your baby. They grow up WAY too fast and this is one bonding experience that means too much to discontinue for the sake of how you temporarily look. Trust me, the Europeans won't care; unless you are some visiting movie star or of that ilk. BTW, never mind what I wrote about it being a "bonding" experience..........I just re-read and realized that you "exclusively pump".
  • onwarddownward
    onwarddownward Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    You need to keep you calories up to breastfeed. Consider this an investment in your child's health and emotional well-being. There are natural reasons that we don't lose weight while breastfeeding.

I breastfed for a cumulative total of nine years for six children. Once you stop, the weight will drop off, especially after you have two little ones running you ragged. Once this one starts walking, you'll run it off.
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I would look at whether you're measuring your food properly. Some people apparently have trouble losing the last bit while breastfeeding but not the case for everyone so don't automatically give up. I would eat a bit more on days you workout. It takes 20 cals for each oz of breastmilk so you're already burning 720 just by pumping.

For those who say you have the rest of your life and don't give up nursing. I don't think there's anything wrong with wanting to lose the weight while breastfeeding and she didn't mention anything about giving it up. Since she's pumping I'm sure she'll notice if there's any decrease in supply and can adjust as necessary.
  • yanniejannie
    yanniejannie Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    "she didn't mention anything about giving it up"........................"I will stop at six months if it keeps going like this"...........ring any bells?????
  • sueclare38
    sueclare38 Posts: 125
    Options
    It looks like you need to up your calories, under food look for breastfeeding and it will have a -number, I'd say at least 700 for the amount of milk you are producing. I take 200 off for feeding cos my 19mth old only has 1 bedtime feed plus I eat into but not all of my exercise calories and my weight loss has been consistent so far.
  • nicola1141
    nicola1141 Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    I eat 1800 calories/day + my exercise calories and I'm only nursing 2 or 3 times a day. If you're exclusively pumping I would make sure I was eating back my exercise calories.

WEight will probably come off a bit slower if you're breastfeeding, but if should come off. Don't panic - it took 9 months to put on, you can't expect to lose it in much less time than that. Take your time, it is such a short amount of tim ein the grand scheme of your life and your babies' life.
  • servilia
    Options
    "she didn't mention anything about giving it up"........................"I will stop at six months if it keeps going like this"...........ring any bells?????

Sorry, I missed that! Total brain fart!!

OP don't give up bf just to lose weight. It's still possible to do both and it's really good for your baby! And it's still possible to lose weight. I had my baby feb 5 and have lost 40 lbs since and haven't stopped and I'm bf full time. Tweak your diet, see if you can add more protein and less carbs if you're over on them.

Why don't you open your diary maybe we can help?
  • nicola1141
    Options
    Also, make sure you are drinking - a lot. For breastfeeding and for weight loss.
  • jakkisr
    jakkisr Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I breast fed both of my babies - the weight shifted when the babies were around 6 months old. I kept going to 18 months with the first and to 9 months with the second( I was very sad he stopped early!). Don't worry about the weight loss, concentrate on good nutrition to feed your baby and give your body everything it needs to do its work and get back to normal.

I was about the same weight as you pre pregnancy and have stayed at that and less for the last twenty four years - don't rush it, you're doing something wonderful :)
  • LuckyMunky
    LuckyMunky Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Try eating more. I have my daily goal set at 1800 but I usually eat closer to 2000 - 2100. I'm steadily losing weight while breastfeeding my 3 month old. It's doable but you have to figure out the right amount of calories. I tried losing at 1700 and noticed a drastic drop in my milk supply, so be careful.
  • sukaina12
    sukaina12 Posts: 16
    Options
    So my base calories while sedentary are 1800 then I should add 700 for bfeeding? Then add back any exercise calories?
  • GeminiDelight
    GeminiDelight Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    i have been bfing for almost 7 years. 3 kids.

you are only 2 mo post partum. whether or not you were bfing, you would not have lost any weight yet. it takes 9 mo to put on the weight. it will take 9 mo or more to lose it. WHETHER OR NOT YOU BREASTFEED.

eat all your calories. eat lots of protein. drink lots of water. exercise moderately. concentrate on loving baby and pumping. build up a nice freezer stash.

please dont worry so much about losing the weight until after baby is 6 mo. i know how it feels to not like your body after baby. i have had 4 babies. i am 10 mo post partum and hate how my belly looks. and my butt etc. it is hard to have patience in getting back in shape. but i promise, it will happen. honestly, i found the weight loss to be easier while bfing, but not until after 6 or 8 mo. until then your body wants to hold on to it. even if you are not bfing.

you are giving your baby such a blessing by pumping the milk. it is so good for their health. keep up the good work.
  • broox80
    broox80 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    Bfeeding made me gain. So I had to put off my weight loss goals a bit until i was done. By the time my guy was 4 months he was eating 4x what I could produce so I stopped and started to lose slowly.
  • nicola1141
    Options
    So my base calories while sedentary are 1800 then I should add 700 for bfeeding? Then add back any exercise calories?

If your base BMR is 1800, I would probably add a few hundred calories for BFing (the exact number is a bit of a guess. I've heard 350-500. Never heard 700 before). Then, yes, add your exercise calories.
  • tschaff04
    tschaff04 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    As someone who breastfed, let me say this: you have the rest of your life to lose this weight, do not stop breastfeeding for your own vanity; do what is right for your baby. They grow up WAY too fast and this is one bonding experience that means too much to discontinue for the sake of how you temporarily look. Trust me, the Europeans won't care; unless you are some visiting movie star or of that ilk. BTW, never mind what I wrote about it being a "bonding" experience..........I just re-read and realized that you "exclusively pump".

This so much!!!!! <3
  • scarrie2
    scarrie2 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Try not to get frustrated, and maybe up it 200 calories for a week, and then if that doesn't work shoot for 1600 calories and maybe that will tell you were you're at. But if you do that, you need to be consistent with everything so that you know for sure. I walked the boys every day for about 45min to an hour while breastfeeding my 3rd child, and the weight started coming off. I wasn't tracking back then, but I was the same weight as you....150 when I found out, 196 at the highest, and 165-170 before I started exercising. It will come off, don't stress yourself out. You'll get there...good luck!
  • servilia
    Options

If your base BMR is 1800, I would probably add a few hundred calories for BFing (the exact number is a bit of a guess. I've heard 350-500. Never heard 700 before). Then, yes, add your exercise calories.

I told her 700 based on the fact she's pumping 36 oz a day and according to the literature it takes 20cals to make an oz. So 720.
  • sueclare38
    sueclare38 Posts: 125
    Options
    yes 1800 + 700. It's up to you whether you want to eat back your exercise calories. I only eat back part of mine, depends how hungry I am. Just tweak it to see what works for you. But as someone else mentioned, drink lots and lots of water.
  • sukaina12
    sukaina12 Posts: 16
    Options
    Hold on so I'm confused...I'm supposed to eat my base cal of 1800 plus 700 for producing 36oz a day...but then ill have no deficit except exercise calories but I can't workout that much to create a 3500 cal exercise onlyy deficit per week. So shud I cut some cals out of my diet?
  • jakkisr
    jakkisr Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    yes, that's what people are saying. Eat 1800+700 each day then on the days you do your 45 minute workout you should eat 1800+700+exercise calories.

Personally I wouldn't bother adding the exercise calories back on as food - I'd put them down to having a nice normal active day.

Breastfeeding is very demanding on your body - it produces milk for the baby first and it puts your health needs as secondary. Make sure you eat healthily to get all the nutrients you need for two people. Quality over quantity, look after your body and it will look after you :)