Holiday whilst bulking

Options
Hi, simple question here. Currently trying to bulk, going to gym >4 times/week and eating a surplus. I'm off to Barcelona for a weeks holiday on Saturday, whilst I'll try and do some press-ups and chin-ups each day I won't be working out.

So, should I stop running a surplus for the week I am away and not working out? Never bulked before so don't know.

Replies

• 89nunu
    89nunu Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    are you even going to accurately track food while away? You will have a very different tdee than usual, I'd just not worry about the whole thing and enjoy myself (Although press-ups and chin-ups are a good idea)
  • Whagwan83
    Whagwan83 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    TBF, I probably won't be tracking, will be eating and drinking what I want. But at the moment I'm consciously eating more than my hunger, so wandered if I should keep this up...
  • 50sFit
    50sFit Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    Whagwan83 wrote: »
    Hi, simple question here. Currently trying to bulk, going to gym >4 times/week and eating a surplus. I'm off to Barcelona for a weeks holiday on Saturday, whilst I'll try and do some press-ups and chin-ups each day I won't be working out.

So, should I stop running a surplus for the week I am away and not working out? Never bulked before so don't know.
    You'll be fine, but training can still be done outside the gym...
    7qdqnswkvrem.jpg

• PwrLftr82
    PwrLftr82 Posts: 945 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I agree with the above. Body weight exercises will suffice for a week. Besides, it's good to deload your weights every now and then, so this is the perfect opportunity. Just enjoy yourself.
  • mbcaldwell123
    mbcaldwell123 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I LOVE Barcelona!!!! You must go buy fresh fruit and eat sea food at La Boqueria! Enjoy your holiday!
  • csuhar
    csuhar Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    Especially because you're in bulk mode, I wouldn't worry about it too much. Yeah, you might add a little more fat than you normally would, but you can do some exercise or general activity while on vacation. Plus, it's only a week, so you probably won't notice the difference when cut time comes, anyway.
  • itsfeast4dabeast
    itsfeast4dabeast Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Do really really hard session before you go - high volume. First few days do high volume body weight stuff. Go to town on the food and eat everything you can. Barcelona is amazing. Eat up and get big and strong. Enjoy mate
  • Whagwan83
    Whagwan83 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Cheers for the advice guys, I've been to BCN before and love it, but looking forward to showing my g/f around for her first trip there...
  • itsjustmish
    itsjustmish Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I just came back from a few days in Barcelona last week, and I really just ate what I wanted without giving it much thought. Admittedly, as I was only there for a long weekend I didn't make any effort to exercise but as I ended up doing so much walking it all balanced itself out!

My advice would be to go, enjoy, walk a lot, do some bodyweight exercises if you get the chance, eat the fabulous foods that Barcelona has to offer, and then get back to your usual routine when you get back. :)
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    you could always use it as a de-load week …

I am going to Phoenix on business in about two weeks and I am bulking now too. I plan to work out in the hotel gym a few times, but it will not be my normal routine as something tells me the hotel gym is not going to have the equipment that my regular gym does…

but I would say yes, keep eating at a surplus and enjoy your vacation ...